LB Geoff Cantin-Arku graduated from Memphis/Declaring for NFL Draft | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

LB Geoff Cantin-Arku graduated from Memphis/Declaring for NFL Draft

It's not just here, it's everywhere. The sheer number of players in the transfer portal now is staggering and I have to imagine this wasn't the intent with providing players more flexibility in movement. It's borderline crazy.

Statistically, I've read a few times that we lead the nation in losses to the portal during the season.

I think the thing that is being overlooked is. They had a 2 hour conversation. 2 hours. 2 hours.

That must have been a lot of pent up frustration coming out to have a 2 hour sit down, and still say, I'm done.

2 hours folks. Think about that. You don't 2 hour meetings at work (well sometimes). That must have been a hell of a meeting.

Two questions, if you care to share:

1. Do you think that same feeling - 2 hour talks with the departees - is common?

2. Do you think anything is wrong, either with Dino or the program, that is making so many kids leave?

After all, when Hillsman lost his entire damn team to basically quitting en masse, well, there were too many ostriches out there, and it took too many people too long to ask real questions, and get real answers.

Something just isn't adding up for me. Dino is a very charismatic guy. Is there some issue that has split the team, because I feel like something weird is going on. Dino's not quite as engaged, IMO, and it feels like Mike Hopkins' last year.

1. Do you think that same feeling - 2 hour talks with the departees - is common?

2. Do you think anything is wrong, either with Dino or the program, that is making so many kids leave?

After all, when Hillsman lost his entire damn team to basically quitting en masse, well, there were too many ostriches out there, and it took too many people too long to ask real questions, and get real answers.

Something just isn't adding up for me. Dino is a very charismatic guy. Is there some issue that has split the team, because I feel like something weird is going on. Dino's not quite as engaged, IMO, and it feels like Mike Hopkins' last year.
I don't have any insight - it just struck me as very odd to have that type of meeting last that long. You'd think either his mind was already made up or he was waffling on staying / going and Dino was trying to keep him engaged and here?

Whenever I separate an employee, or an employee separates themselves from working for me, it's generally a quick conversation. Both sides already know why the decision was made.

I don’t think there’s a locker room or team issue at all. Each kid has had their own reason. None of them point to a chemistry or locker room issue. Just because a specific player left for whatever reason, playing time, not starting etc doesn’t mean there’s an 85 player problem. That kid that was here a week shouldn’t even count in our numbers.

I don't have any insight - it just struck me as very odd to have that type of meeting last that long. You'd think either his mind was already made up or he was waffling on staying / going and Dino was trying to keep him engaged and here?

Whenever I separate an employee, or an employee separates themselves from working for me, it's generally a quick conversation. Both sides already know why the decision was made.

I think it was so long cause Dino was trying to get him to stay and Arku was arguing his side whatever that was (I assume starting) and they went back and forth both hoping to “win”.

Look out for McDonald. Lowery and Sparrow as well
Have really high hopes for Lowery and happy we retained him in his recruiting class. Still think Linton ends up a stud too

Yeah I don’t always believe some of the things he says. 2 hrs would be an extraordinary meeting. Although, maybe they watched a movie too or something
Ohana knows no time

those were the days my friend, we'll always have those memories. We are now happy settling for well-played games in losses and hoping for 6 win seasons. The bar has been lowered so much.
Only thing that ruined it for me is that it was all I was used to. Had season tickets with my family, or myself starting from 87 all the way up to last year. When your 10 years old and your 11 and 0 with 1 to go, followed by big bowl game after big bowl game. Gedeny getting tackled at the 3 and Ray Lewis coming over to our section giving everyone the bird. Man that place was close to impossible to even communicate with the person next to you it was so loud. Even when it gets loud now with little more than half a building everybody says how loud it is, but that was nothing compared to a full house, fully invested, rocking the F out. Those are some great memories, but it almost hurts even more that I didn't appreciate it, and certainly took the first 20 years of my syracuse football life for granted. When you are winning like that you never in a million years think we would be in the situation we are now in another 20. It was great getting just a little bit of that feeling back in 2018, but once every 20 years isn't going to fly.

I'm wondering if he knew he was going to do it anyway, and it's to get a jump on (portal) recruiting season.

When you see Taj and others posting their offers on twitter, you probably don't want to be the last man standing.

Just a guess though.
He might get a low P5 offer...he might be better off playing for UConn or similar

Only thing that ruined it for me is that it was all I was used to. Had season tickets with my family, or myself starting from 87 all the way up to last year. When your 10 years old and your 11 and 0 with 1 to go, followed by big bowl game after big bowl game. Gedeny getting tackled at the 3 and Ray Lewis coming over to our section giving everyone the bird. Man that place was close to impossible to even communicate with the person next to you it was so loud. Even when it gets loud now with little more than half a building everybody says how loud it is, but that was nothing compared to a full house, fully invested, rocking the F out. Those are some great memories, but it almost hurts even more that I didn't appreciate it, and certainly took the first 20 years of my syracuse football life for granted. When you are winning like that you never in a million years think we would be in the situation we are now in another 20. It was great getting just a little bit of that feeling back in 2018, but once every 20 years isn't going to fly.
I took it for granted too. I made sure I enjoyed every minute of 2018 because of that.

Sometimes it's not what's in front of you it's what's gaining on you from behind.

So we have guys like Roon, Mathews, Sparrow and Lowery...some pretty good talent there I believe
I think that Roon has been injured for most, if not all, of the season.

I must have missed those tweets by Garrets' father as I have never seem him tweet any criticism about the coaching staff. The media and some of the idiot fans but not the coaches.
agree the only thing i see him tweet is friday syracuse gear

those were the days my friend, we'll always have those memories. We are now happy settling for well-played games in losses and hoping for 6 win seasons. The bar has been lowered so much.
Is this a lowered bar or the situation changing beneath our feet?

The amount of D1 recruits playing football in upstate NY fell off a cliff, TV money entered the sport in a more powerful way, we got left out of the P5 for 5 years or whatever… I think it’s more weird to have coach P level expectations given those factors.

All of that said - we can do better. But the median isn’t what it was

Is this a lowered bar or the situation changing beneath our feet?

The amount of D1 recruits playing football in upstate NY fell off a cliff, TV money entered the sport in a more powerful way, we got left out of the P5 for 5 years or whatever… I think it’s more weird to have coach P level expectations given those factors.

All of that said - we can do better. But the median isn’t what it was
Nobody recruits New York so why would any programs, coaches or players put in the effort to play D1 ball when they are never going to get a chance? There are untold amounts of guys who would be capable but they don't see the dream. Liepold built a very powerful team at UB with mostly NY guys, so there is some data for it.

Nobody recruits New York so why would any programs, coaches or players put in the effort to play D1 ball when they are never going to get a chance? There are untold amounts of guys who would be capable but they don't see the dream. Liepold built a very powerful team at UB with mostly NY guys, so there is some data for it.
We could compete in the MAC now lol