LB Juan Wallace in the Transfer Portal | Syracusefan.com

LB Juan Wallace in the Transfer Portal

That's unfortunate. I had high hopes for him. I'm hardly an expert, but maybe wasn't a great fit for the new defense?

where was he slotted in the spring depth chart?

That's unfortunate. I had high hopes for him. I'm hardly an expert, but maybe wasn't a great fit for the new defense?
Yeah he may be too small for it, which is why they moved the tall Canadians to the LB spots

It’s seems strange. With his size he seemed a really good fit for the new system. I thought he was getting playing time last year. Maybe if the staff was moving some of the previous ends to lb he was going down the depth chart. It’s unfortunate. He would have still been an asset to the team.

Just my thoughts He doesn’t fit the new scheme but he can play still. Wouldn’t surprised me to see him contribute at another p5. I think our LB room might be the best we had in awhile. A lot of nice young players, most that fit the scheme better. I’m thinking he saw the spring depth chart and wasnt happy. Was gonna use that as motivation to turn heads and earn a starting spot. Didnt have the chance to do it because of the pandemic.

Last edited:
Yeah it’s a different monster when you have to walk up to the LOS and take on tackles, pulling guards while pass rushing off the edge. OLB’s in the scheme have to good at those things.

Must have believed there wasn't room for him in the new system.

Wallace was not on the Pre Spring depth chart and with some of the DEnds moving to OLB (like Steve Linton) it was going to be a lot more crowded. I liked Wallace and thought he might start here or eventually beat out Jones at MLB for the backup spot (who I think is going to struggle at his size but he's a baller). I can't fault Wallace though. Competition is a good thing so if he was squeezed out then that's not a negative.

Spring Depth Chart

WLB - rJR Tyrell Richards 6-4 236 / SO Lee Kpogba 6-1 219
MLB - SO Geogg Arku 6-4 230 / SO Mikel Jones 6-0 211
SLB - rFR Steve Linton 6-5 226 / rJR Kadeem Trotter 6- 226

JR Juan Wallace : 6-2 227

Wallace was not on the Pre Spring depth chart and with some of the DEnds moving to OLB (like Steve Linton) it was going to be a lot more crowded. I liked Wallace and thought he might start here or eventually beat out Jones at MLB for the backup spot (who I think is going to struggle at his size.). I can't fault Wallace though. Competition is a good thing so if he was squeezed out then that's not a negative.

Spring Depth Chart

That first team looks so good

Per Phat's post, he doesn't have the physical profile (tailor-made for the 335) of TR, G C-A or Linton. But it's only the spring 2-deep. He played well towards the end of last year, and he's just as big or bigger than Kpogba, Jones and Trotter. BOL to him wherever he decides he'll have a better chance of pt.
I agree. Just to add on. Fit is not just body type. When I think of fit I think of skill sets. What do the player do well and what doesn't he do well? You can be 6'4 240 but if you are not good at defending a kick out block or providing a pass rush you probably won't play as much.

Last edited:
Good luck to him elsewhere. Could be a rare SU football transfer who goes to another P5 level school.

Maryland, Kansas State or Nevada should seem like likely destinations. Maybe he gets exiled to Piscataway?

Wallace was not on the Pre Spring depth chart and with some of the DEnds moving to OLB (like Steve Linton) it was going to be a lot more crowded. I liked Wallace and thought he might start here or eventually beat out Jones at MLB for the backup spot (who I think is going to struggle at his size but he's a baller). I can't fault Wallace though. Competition is a good thing so if he was squeezed out then that's not a negative.

Spring Depth Chart

I agree with your post. I think Jones eventually will transition to the Rover spot and some other converted de will fill out the lb positions. Trotter may also be used in the rover.

Unfortunate, I think he was a solid piece but just tells me the Canadians must be turning heads

I guess you never know what can happen between high school and a few years of college.

There aren't many recruits who get a double digit page recruitment post full of positives from this board these days but he was one of them. Just a few years ago he was supposed to be the man.

Was he over hyped or is this a personal decision? Will be interesting to see how it shakes out for him.

Holding off Georgia late, if I recall, will always get some positives.

I guess you never know what can happen between high school and a few years of college.

There aren't many recruits who get a double digit page recruitment post full of positives from this board these days but he was one of them. Just a few years ago he was supposed to be the man.

Was he over hyped or is this a personal decision? Will be interesting to see how it shakes out for him.
I think the new coordinator values the height, size and speed of the Canadians + Linton/Lee. Juan didn’t have considerable game experience to give him a discernible edge and theres not an opportunity present to re-earn his spot due to COVID.

I think he may be doing the smart thing and transitioning to a new p5 that is more immediately in need of a LB like him as a fit.

He’s a good kid, I have faith he’ll have a solid career. Fortunately our LB room right now may be exceptional.

Good luck Juan and hoping we do not see you in a future contest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom