Class of 2020 - LB Tirek Austin-Cave (NJ) Grad transfer from WVU to New Mexico | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 LB Tirek Austin-Cave (NJ) Grad transfer from WVU to New Mexico

Love our LB’s too, but even if GCA stayed, we’d still have meh depth.

Wouldn’t hurt having a plug and play type that can help Sparrow and McDonald give the guys a rest.

Maybe im getting greedy
How in the world do you know it’s meh depth? They are all 1st and 2nd year players. Same basic recruiting rankings as the guys playing now. Those guys were meh until they weren’t.

How in the world do you know it’s meh depth? They are all 1st and 2nd year players. Same basic recruiting rankings as the guys playing now. Those guys were meh until they weren’t.
Im not talking about talent.

Last year we were uncharacteristically blessed with health at LB.

Other years, like with Bennett and Zaire, we had guys playing each game at 50-75%.

We gotta keep our LB’s fresh and the edge fast with this defense. I don’t think we can have enough depth at LB, edge or safety (within reason).

The more plug and play guys we have, the less opportunity for guys like Cunningham to run us out of entire halves.

This kid may not even be that type of transfer, and for all I know the staff may not be interested.

I just know linebackers and safety depth makes a huge difference

Lowery and Sparrow been in the system for almost 2 years. Then there's McDonald. Can Cave pass them up? I dont know, maybe.
Doubt it, but im not even sure whether there’s interest here. I just look back at years like 2017 where if we had more depth at LB we may have made a bowl.

LB’s probably our strongest unit, with that said. Just won’t see me complaining if we make it bulletproof

Doubt it, but im not even sure whether there’s interest here. I just look back at years like 2017 where if we had more depth at LB we may have made a bowl.

LB’s probably our strongest unit, with that said. Just won’t see me complaining if we make it bulletproof
I feel you.

Probably ends up in NJ

Schianos basically rebuilt the roster with transfers. He's using the K State method.

We at least need a solid back-up 4th LB who can start if needed and a 5th who will be serviceable if called upon. I personally like Mekhi Mason as a 4th and think Derek McDonald takes a leap as the 5th. I don't think McDonald really played LB until last year. He was DL and TE in high school at least his senior year. I'm sure Meki may need a few games to get comfortable with scheme and all but I can see him jumping in the mix freshman year. You can never be too comfortable with back-ups until they get some playing time. Hopefully we can work a little bit of playing time in early.

Last few didn’t get a lot of air time. Is that a tip that there IS a specific order?
TIREK AUSTIN-CAVE Camden Catholic, Cherry Hill, NJ 3rd YR Soph.

> MLB 6’ 1” 225 4.5 40, VL 36.9, BP 245 < FAST, Strong, Vertical is way up there

Never given a chance to play – special teams only and people wonder why kids transfer? If you read his high school bio and look at his film you’ll understand. Hope he chooses SU!

High School:
A consensus three-star prospect by 247Sports, ESPN and Rivals…Ranked the No. 24 inside linebacker and No. 16 player in New Jersey by …Ranked the No. 26 Inside linebacker and No. 15 player in the state by 247 Composite…Listed as the No. 44 player at his position and No. 14 player in New Jersey by ESPN…Helped lead Camden to an appearance in the New Jersey Central Group 2 state championship game…Finished the 2019 season with 148 tackles, 11 sacks, two interceptions, two forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries and a blocked punt…As a senior, was named a Butkus Award nominee and earned first team all-conference, first team All-South Jersey and first team all-state honors…Chose Miami over offers from Baylor, Kansas State, Kentucky, Maryland, Minnesota, Oklahoma State, Rutgers, Syracuse, Wake Forest and West Virginia, among others.

Brian Dohn 2018, 247 sports v

Lean frame, (then listed as 6’ 2” 205), with length and wide shoulders. Can easily add 20 pounds. Highly productive player with 162 tackles in his junior season. Reads plays well. Good burst and body control. Plays physical. Can navigate traffic to make tackle. Possesses closing speed. Very effective in-the-box player. Excels playing downhill. Has to work on change of direction. Coverage skills are inconsistent. Needs better depth on drops in zone. Increase strength a must. Has to show he has speed to get to sideline. Should develop into a multi-year starter at strong Power 5 program and could be an NFL free agent.

Concerning the the LB room. I want a few more of these gentlemen in it - for this coming year!

FP8szmXXwAkvESA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom