LBs next year | Syracusefan.com

LBs next year

kcsu

Living Legend
I think we start Armstrong, Guthrie, Richards.
2's: Shy, Fagan, Whitner

Would like to see us add transfer/juco
But we should be fine.

But we should be fine.
I could see Fagan starting if he adds a few lbs, kid can run and cover space which is what we need at the LB position. If he can bring some lumber when tackling that would be great too.

Not sure Whitner cracks the two deep.

Not sure Whitner cracks the two deep.
Agreed it will be close. His advantage is he can cover. If he comes into the spring at 225 and keeps his speed i think he plays. I really like Guthrie think that he becomes a very good player.

I beleive Fagan is already heavier than his listed weight and expect him to be 220-225 by summer.

I beleive Fagan is already heavier than his listed weight and expect him to be 220-225 by summer.
I hope you're right...would love to see that!

I'm more concerned with Richards adding the necessary weight. He was a 6'3" 225lb recruit that is currently listed at 6'4" 212lb. Funny how that works ;-) He needs to add a solid 20-30lbs to play the Mike.

Richards can carry 240 easy. Has the frame for it. We could have the tallest group of backers in years.

But we should be fine.

I suspect someone not currently on the roster will be on that two-deep and perhaps Cullen (Bless his hustle) won’t be.

Stud future nfl
No kidding? Are there any articles about that? I'm just surprised because he wasn't a particularly heavily recruited HS senior if I remember correctly. I'd be absolutely stoked if we could have a 6'4'' stud middle linebacker.

No kidding? Are there any articles about that? I'm just surprised because he wasn't a particularly heavily recruited HS senior if I remember correctly. I'd be absolutely stoked if we could have a 6'4'' stud middle linebacker.
He is as tall as all of our DE's, no doubt. I was able to see him up close for most of the season. Size is not going to be an issue with this guy...

IMG_20170901_212723309.jpg

How fast are these guys.
I loved our experienced LBers this year but they weren’t fast.
Bennett could make an NFL roster though.

"should be fine" in the OP seems a tad vague. How fine?

Could compare these projected LBs to the Franklin/Bennett unit - in their true soph version in 2015. Potential, but little experience.
Projecting our LBs against units of ACC teams - we might be bottom 3?

Staff has made juco offers and likely will search for a grad transfer to upgrade what we have. Similar to WR unit - not yet fine enough.

"should be fine" in the OP seems a tad vague. How fine?

Could compare these projected LBs to the Franklin/Bennett unit - in their true soph version in 2015. Potential, but little experience.
Projecting our LBs against units of ACC teams - we might be bottom 3?

Staff has made juco offers and likely will search for a grad transfer to upgrade what we have. Similar to WR unit - not yet fine enough.
I genuinely believe the lack of speed hurt us down the stretch this season, and Zaire specifically really struggled in the RPO games. Bennett will be missed the most. I don't think we'll see as steep of a drop off as you're expecting next year. With our returning experience at DL and DB we should be able to let these guys grow into their roles. We have some very good ones here.

I genuinely believe the lack of speed hurt us down the stretch this season, and Zaire specifically really struggled in the RPO games. Bennett will be missed the most. I don't think we'll see as steep of a drop off as you're expecting next year. With our returning experience at DL and DB we should be able to let these guys grow into their roles. We have some very good ones here.
Yes - there were speed and coverage issues with Zaire and also in the DBs. Bennett was second team all-ACC and Zaire was honorable mention. We saw a little of Armstrong on specials and Guthrie as a part-time DE. I don't see either as a candidate for similar ACC honors, though Guthrie earned some in juco ranks.

We have experience in the secondary, but other than Cordy are there any returning DBs who are even marginal candidates for ACC honors? That unit also needs some help in addition to being pushed by underclassmen.

Yes - there were speed and coverage issues with Zaire and also in the DBs. Bennett was second team all-ACC and Zaire was honorable mention. We saw a little of Armstrong on specials and Guthrie as a part-time DE. I don't see either as a candidate for similar ACC honors, though Guthrie earned some in juco ranks.

We have experience in the secondary, but other than Cordy are there any returning DBs who are even marginal candidates for ACC honors? That unit also needs some help in addition to being pushed by underclassmen.
Genuinely don't think Zaire would have made honorable mentions if there wasn't the preseason hype. Thomas is easily replaceable. I remember when everyone was panicking when Derrell Smith/Doug Hogue/Marquis Spruill all left and we were fine. And we're replacing these seniors with guys recruited to play in this system.

I think we could see a few of our DBs make that leap to candidates for ACC honors next season. Frederick was solid this year. Evan Foster has the skills, his biggest issue is his tackling angles. That can be taught.

I really think Melifonwu will push for PT next season as well.

Foster made a ton of plays.. he was playing hurt most of the year as well.

Genuinely don't think Zaire would have made honorable mentions if there wasn't the preseason hype. Thomas is easily replaceable. I remember when everyone was panicking when Derrell Smith/Doug Hogue/Marquis Spruill all left and we were fine. And we're replacing these seniors with guys recruited to play in this system.

I think we could see a few of our DBs make that leap to candidates for ACC honors next season. Frederick was solid this year. Evan Foster has the skills, his biggest issue is his tackling angles. That can be taught.

I really think Melifonwu will push for PT next season as well.
Have any thoughts on Coley? Just havent heard much about the kid

Are you talking safeties, corners are all defensive backs? The 2 corners, imo, played pretty well most of the year.; for 1st time starters. If the kids improve year over year they should be just fine.

What happened to Henderson, the Ohio kid?

Recruited over? Shafer recruit who was overrated on this board? I remember a lot of positive talk about him two or three years ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom