Leadership, Mental Toughness, Discipline | Syracusefan.com

Leadership, Mental Toughness, Discipline

Trueblue25

Cali Award Magistrate; 2023 Cali Award Rushing Yds
Floyd Little today on the local ESPN radio was adamant that this team has better pieces than last year’s, however we do not have the leadership.

Though I don’t believe the coach’s should be left off the hook, this could explain a number of things. The stupid penalties, the moping, the outbursts from wideouts, the difficulty building a run game or blocking forward. My favorite, the social media individual highlights following nationally televised embarassments.

I think a number of board personality’s may have been right, the O lacks a leader. Potentially the whole team does.

Perhaps the hype got a little to the kids heads. I hope someone in the locker-room steps up and holds a players “kumbaya” meeting.

Dino’s the epitome of discipline, but disunity in the locker room, or lack of a leader can derail a season.

I think TD started the season intending to be the leader but the combined effect of (in no particular order)...
- OL troubles
- his injury
- the length of time it's taking for him to get accustomed to making smart decisions

...has put a big damper on that.

On the sidelines/off the field, he's clearly a guy who wants to team to communicate and succeed.
It's not like he's Jeff George.
I just think that he's still got a ways to go before he's comfortable with making decisions and dealing with getting chased.

At the same time, the OL needs better coaching. That would cover a lot of what's mentioned in the OP.

Floyd Little today on the local ESPN radio was adamant that this team has better pieces than last year’s, however we do not have the leadership.

Though I don’t believe the coach’s should be left off the hook, this could explain a number of things. The stupid penalties, the moping, the outbursts from wideouts, the difficulty building a run game or blocking forward. My favorite, the social media individual highlights following nationally televised embarassments.

I think a number of board personality’s may have been right, the O lacks a leader. Potentially the whole team does.

Perhaps the hype got a little to the kids heads. I hope someone in the locker-room steps up and holds a players “kumbaya” meeting.

Dino’s the epitome of discipline, but disunity in the locker room, or lack of a leader can derail a season.

I believe it, and could see certain aspects of performance that are affected by that.

At the same time, I don’t see how that would cause linemen to get physically pushed around by almost everybody. That’s the problem that I don’t really see a cause or a solution for and it makes me come back to “we’re just not good enough” in that aspect.

All 3 traits are instilled in the players by the coaching staff.

Sometimes. To a degree. Moreso their parents though, in which case it’s way too late.

Make it more specific. Not a team issue. The offense lacks a leader. The defense does as well as expected, battling with 3 key starters out with injuries. Specials also seem fine.

Of the skill guys on offense, only Neal and Riley are seniors. The line has multi-year starters in Servais and Adams. Then, you look at Devito who is struggling with pressures and is he impressing his teammates with leadership?

I want to know what players on our roster would feel comfortable grabbing Cordy by the facemask (after his ridiculous personal foul against NC State) and give him a verbal dressing down, and the other players would watch that and say "damn, so-and-so means business, I need to be more disciplined because I don't want to get laid into either.

Whoever those guys are should be our captains.

I want to know what players on our roster would feel comfortable grabbing Cordy by the facemask (after his ridiculous personal foul . . .

It was ridiculous, but I think that excessive yapping (after a good defensive play) was a one-off as far as the defense. There is leadership on the field for the defense. The defense stepped up and held N.C. state to a field goal — same as if no penalty. Not excusing Cordy but I am more worried about how the offense is performing.

Need a teammate who leads by example and vocally. Zaire did it, I’m sure someone last year did too

This board has made him into a legend. A good leader does allow his side of the ball to fold when the QB gets hurt.

I want to know what players on our roster would feel comfortable grabbing Cordy by the facemask (after his ridiculous personal foul against NC State) and give him a verbal dressing down, and the other players would watch that and say "damn, so-and-so means business, I need to be more disciplined because I don't want to get laid into either.

Those are usually OLmen or LBs, which in our case...

Leadership for Syracuse University Football is lacking on both sides of the ball. Can anyone identify one player on either side of the ball that they feel the majority of that unit both fears (in a good way) and respects? I have not seen in six games, anyone on either side of the ball, fire their unit up during a crucial point in a game. That has to change over the next six games and some leaders need to emerge. This entire team needs to stop waiting for something to happen and instead, make it happen as in impose their will. Can they do it? We as fans are going to find out but I think that is very important to how successful or unsuccessful this season ends up. Here's to success. Go Orange!!!!!!!!!

Leadership for Syracuse University Football is lacking on both sides of the ball. Can anyone identify one player on either side of the ball that they feel the majority of that unit both fears (in a good way) and respects? I have not seen in six games, anyone on either side of the ball, fire their unit up during a crucial point in a game. That has to change over the next six games and some leaders need to emerge. This entire team needs to stop waiting for something to happen and instead, make it happen as in impose their will. Can they do it? We as fans are going to find out but I think that is very important to how successful or unsuccessful this season ends up. Here's to success. Go Orange!!!!

Frankly this is the kind of stuff that only gets talked about when the team sucks.

I still can’t believe this season is happening like this.

A step in the right direction would be Tommy getting really pissed off when we don’t move the ball. He needs to show some passion — not anger toward his teammates but frustration with not doing better. That’s a start

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom