Leave it to Schiano to come with something this stupid | Syracusefan.com

Leave it to Schiano to come with something this stupid

Cuseregular

Hall of Fame
This weeks si theres an article on Roger Goodell and the future of the NFL. Some of it re safety and in it was Schianos proposal to get rid of all kickoffs to which Goodell is giving a long listen.

Instead of kicking off the scoring team would take the ball on their own 30 with an artificially created 4th and 15 yards to go situation. THey can either punt or go for it. I mean seriously? Ridiculous. I'm all for safety and good with current changes but just move the kick off to the 40 or something.

Schiano wants KOs eliminated to avoid another Eric LeGrand situation.

why is it? its only a slight step up from what we do on safeties already. people dont want to see any punts so why do they want to see kick offs? right now over 50% of the kicks down get returned and it was almost 80% last year. teams like NO should love this.

would they punt from kickoff formation or 4th down formations is the question.. it could lead to more scoring, they should at least try it during a preseason game.

eliminate all kicking for that matter. no more kicked XP. that would add 5-6 players to every roster since ST guys would not be needed.

I don't quite understand this. Can someone explain this more in depth?

Team A scores a touchdown. What happens next?

Call me crazy, but I like it.

Say what you want about Schiano, but the guy is not a total idiot. Rutgers was nothing when he came along, and he built a decent program, something no one could ever do before him, and something no one thought could be done.

I don't quite understand this. Can someone explain this more in depth?

Team A scores a touchdown. What happens next?

Team A gets the ball back on it's own 30 yard line, only it's 4th and 15.

Team A can elect to punt, or it can elect to run a play.

There would be no more kickoffs or on-side kicks.

Has anyone proposed the idea of having them wear ice skates while they play? That would be my idea.

crazy, they'd be better off moving the ball to midfield to kick it, , touchback gets it at the 30 or 35, force short kicks where no will get hurt. Hey maybe even give 3 pts for kick through the uprights but the receiving team get the ball at the 30-35. Better than the proposal here.

this topic is so last week and F schiano but, he said them last year, while at rutgers, when asked to give an option/opinion. they want to eliminate concussions, eliminating the 1 play that causes the most is 1 way.

This weeks si theres an article on Roger Goodell and the future of the NFL. Some of it re safety and in it was Schianos proposal to get rid of all kickoffs to which Goodell is giving a long listen.

Instead of kicking off the scoring team would take the ball on their own 30 with an artificially created 4th and 15 yards to go situation. THey can either punt or go for it. I mean seriously? Ridiculous. I'm all for safety and good with current changes but just move the kick off to the 40 or something.

So...in lieu of kicking it off--and the danger that could potentially result during the kickoff return--the scoring team would have the option to instead punt, and put everyone in similar danger on the resulting punt return?

Doesn't make any sense at all.

the only reason people think that kickoffs are a logical part of the game is because it's always been that way and because the game is called football

there's a good reason why no other sport has the team that just scored kick the ball to the other team. i'm glad that basketball doesn't have some random useless kicker teeing the ball up just so after every score

if you're suggesting moving kicks to the 50, why even bother. let's move it to the 1 yard line just to make sure it's always a touchback!

or you could dispense with the stupidity altogether and get on with the non-soccer player portion of the game.

So...in lieu of kicking it off--and the danger that could potentially result during the kickoff return--the scoring team would have the option to instead punt, and put everyone in similar danger on the resulting punt return?

the premise is that punting is less dangerous.

this topic is so last week and F schiano but, he said them last year, while at rutgers, when asked to give an option/opinion. they want to eliminate concussions, eliminating the 1 play that causes the most is 1 way.
the same meatheads that think it's crazy to eliminate kickoffs are the some ones who don't bother to put the soft caps on the helmets.

these are two simple remedies with no downside other than their precious game looking a little different.

the premise is that punting is less dangerous.

I can see it as less velocity, but many of the same dynamics / danger would still be present.

If you're going to try to address the problem, address it and eliminate the dangerous activity--don't slap on a band aid and subject the players to the same activity that is only slightly less dangerous.

Punting must have fewer concussions, and it makes sense. In a kickoff situation, the kicking team gets a full head of steam before encountering the first opposition player. In a punting situation, at least half the guys are blocking or being blocked when the ball is kicked.

Clearly, there is still a concussion risk there, but it must be less.

Most punt returns end in a fair catch. Nobody gets hurt, and there's milk and cookies on the sidelines. :p

No, no. See, the idea is less punting, not more.

the same meatheads that think it's crazy to eliminate kickoffs are the some ones who don't bother to put the soft caps on the helmets.

these are two simple remedies with no downside other than their precious game looking a little different.
soft caps on helmets or some sort of a complete helmet redesign is a no brainer, doesn't change the nature or integrity game as it's where it came from, more or less anyway, but doing away with kickoff changes the history of the game. It should be a non starter. Do some of the stuff change wise to make it safer as I outline but keep it. It is "foot"ball ya know.

I was on the sideline when Brandon Sharpe went down on the kickoff his frown year versus Northwestern, it was one of the more violent things I have ever witnessed. I would be in favor of eliminating the kickoff especially at the amateur level. Pros are at least getting paid and know the risk and are compensated for said risk

I like the idea. I wouldn't mind if all special teams went away. With the exception of a few amazing returners over the years, does anyone watch football for the special teams play?

So in theory, a team could have possession of the ball one time in a game.

So in theory, a team could have possession of the ball one time in a game.
That is true with the current system as well. Team A could always run successful on-side kicks. I don't think it would be any more likely in the 4th and 15 scenario.

I was on the sideline when Brandon Sharpe went down on the kickoff his frown year versus Northwestern, it was one of the more violent things I have ever witnessed. I would be in favor of eliminating the kickoff especially at the amateur level. Pros are at least getting paid and know the risk and are compensated for said risk
I love how it's a bad idea because Schiano came up with it instead of it being a good idea because it eliminates the most violent play in the game. Does it really make sense to have players get a 40+yd running start to ram into people that are standing still? What other sport does something like this as a part of the game? Bracing for the hit or not, it's still violent. With the pending litigation against the NFL as it relates to long-term health, the League has to be more proactive. There will be no more kickoffs 10 years from now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom