Lebron James is a coward | Syracusefan.com

Lebron James is a coward

STEVEHOLT

There are FIVE letters in the name BLAIN.
OK, so he misses two huge free throws with just under a minute with his team down by one.

The team loses.

Fine. I dont think that necessarily means he is some gigantic no heart choker or anything but what really showed us who he is was his comments AFTER the game.

what does he say about the free throws ? "those two free throws did not win or lose the game"

What? Can you imagine Kobe or Jordan missing two free throws in a similar situation and then saying ANYTHING other than something like this?

"I need to hit those two shots. I let my team down. This one is on me."

THAT is what the greatest players say and feel...whether or not its even true. This is how you lead and this is how you must view your importance to the team's success.

Lebron has a very fragile confidence, so fragile that he cannot even lay blame upon himself lest he lose his mojo.

That is not a psyche that lends itself to greatness.

Lebron has a very fragile confidence, so fragile that he cannot even lay blame upon himself lest he lose his mojo.

Would a year or two of college have helped him in this department? Absolutely !! I have to agree, I never hear him say the right things after many games.

I am not on the wagon that thinks he is one of the elite players of all time, I just don't see it.

LeBron gets criticized far too often and this is a prime example. We're now evaluating what one sentence means in the grand scheme of his abilities and mental aptitude on the court. I think we need to calm down on the LeBron criticism. He made a great pass to set up Wade for a layup that would've given his team the lead with 30 seconds left. Wade missed the layup.

Not to mention, the only reason the Heat were in the game at all is because of his play. He led his team in points, rebounds, assists, and steals. Besides him and Wade, no one else scored more than 5 points. The team shot under 35% from the field, despite LeBron going 10-22. Take that away, and the team barely shot 30%.

You also left off the rest of the quote. He said, "The game is not lost or won with two free throws. But I definitely want to come through for my teammates. So I'll get an opportunity again. I know I'll be at the line again in that situation. Just go up and make 'em."

Nothing wrong with that.

He can say all he wants that the game is not lost or won with two free throws, ask Nick Anderson if free throws win or lose games. He seems like a nice guy and is a phenomenal player, but he gives the ball up or sits in the corner on a consistent basis when the game is on the line in meaningful games.

LeBron gets criticized far too often and this is a prime example. We're now evaluating what one sentence means in the grand scheme of his abilities and mental aptitude on the court. I think we need to calm down on the LeBron criticism. He made a great pass to set up Wade for a layup that would've given his team the lead with 30 seconds left. Wade missed the layup.

Not to mention, the only reason the Heat were in the game at all is because of his play. He led his team in points, rebounds, assists, and steals. Besides him and Wade, no one else scored more than 5 points. The team shot under 35% from the field, despite LeBron going 10-22. Take that away, and the team barely shot 30%.

You also left off the rest of the quote. He said, "The game is not lost or won with two free throws. But I definitely want to come through for my teammates. So I'll get an opportunity again. I know I'll be at the line again in that situation. Just go up and make 'em."

Nothing wrong with that.

I know we've had this debate one thousand times, but when you have a 1 hour special to announce where you're taking your talents, have a fireworks display in your first appearanc with your new team, and tell everyone you're going to win 37 titles - well, you open yourself up to this stuff.

If Pujols had done the same thing, had a big fireworks show, primetime specials, etc...he would be taking a lot more heat for his abysmal start than he is. Obviously LeBron would be taking heat from all the people that dislike him regardless, but he also contributed quite a bit to the level of venom.

OK, so he misses two huge free throws with just under a minute with his team down by one.

The team loses.

Fine. I dont think that necessarily means he is some gigantic no heart choker or anything but what really showed us who he is was his comments AFTER the game.

what does he say about the free throws ? "those two free throws did not win or lose the game"

What? Can you imagine Kobe or Jordan missing two free throws in a similar situation and then saying ANYTHING other than something like this?

THAT is what the greatest players say and feel...whether or not its even true. This is how you lead and this is how you must view your importance to the team's success.

The over-analysis of sports just gets sillier by the day. So apparently now a guy is only as good as his last sound bite.

I agree with bleeds, people over analyze statements of pro athletes way to much! Lebron plays a sport, he's not a politician who is groomed to say and do all the right during an interview. A coward to me is someone who stands at the 3 point line with his hand up waiting for the ball, lebron goes and gets the ball and usually attacks the rim.

Here's the entire quote:

"The game is not lost or won with two free throws," James said. "But I definitely want to come through for my teammates. So I'll get an opportunity again. I know I'll be at the line again in that situation. Just go up and make 'em."

Seems pretty reasonable to me.

As for Miami, no one other than Wade or Lebron scored more than 5 points. Lebron and Wade combined to shoot 18-40, the rest of the team was 9-38. They're going to be in trouble unless they get a little mroe help from the other guys. Meanwhile in the west San Antonio is looking like a powerhouse.

I agree with bleeds, people over analyze statements of pro athletes way to much! Lebron plays a sport, he's not a politician who is groomed to say and do all the right during an interview. A coward to me is someone who stands at the 3 point line with his hand up waiting for the ball, lebron goes and gets the ball and usually attacks the rim.
...unless its the last play of the game. Stood out of bounds against the Knicks and set a screen and stood in the corner against the Pacers last night. LBJ got the ball, under a minute left, down 2 and immediately passed it to Battier in the corner who was covered!? What is Battier going to do there? You think Melo or Kobe passes the ball there? No way, they wouldve taken their man and got a shot off because they are going to decide the game. Now in that play Battier passed it back to Lebron, who passed it to Wade who missed a layup and if Wade is there closer by default...thats a bad thing because you cant close games based on a reputation from 4 years ago. Lebron, missed those two big free throws, but lets be honest...we knew he would. The Pacers tried to choke away that game but Miami choked harder.

Here's the entire quote:

Seems pretty reasonable to me.

As for Miami, no one other than Wade or Lebron scored more than 5 points. Lebron and Wade combined to shoot 18-40, the rest of the team was 9-38. They're going to be in trouble unless they get a little mroe help from the other guys. Meanwhile in the west San Antonio is looking like a powerhouse.
But NOONE should feel bad for Miami. Lebron and Wade better get it done because they were handed the Finals on a silver platter with or without Bosh with what happened to the Knicks and Bulls.

It's all about expectations.

We're expecting LeBron to be better than Kobe, and maybe better than Jordan. But better really means we want him to be a killer like those guys are.

No one questions his talents, it just may turn out that he is more Magic Johnson than Michael Jordan. By that I mean a guy who is more likely to be the killer by making a great pass at the end than by making a great shot at the end.

Jordan reset the scale for what greatness is. Talent isn't enough anymore to be considered at Jordan's level. You have to be the one to make the dagger shot. Clearly, on Miami, LeBron is not the guy to take that shot. By design or by necessity, Wade is the guy taking those shots, and honestly, he's pretty good in those situations.

That's not gonna do anything to help LeBron become what everyone wants him to be, but it probably is the best plan if they want to win a title.

I know we've had this debate one thousand times, but when you have a 1 hour special to announce where you're taking your talents, have a fireworks display in your first appearanc with your new team, and tell everyone you're going to win 37 titles - well, you open yourself up to this stuff.

If Pujols had done the same thing, had a big fireworks show, primetime specials, etc...he would be taking a lot more heat for his abysmal start than he is. Obviously LeBron would be taking heat from all the people that dislike him regardless, but he also contributed quite a bit to the level of venom.
He opened himself up to certain criticism with the way he decided to go Miami, no doubt. And I 100% disagree with how he did that.

That said, it doesn't change the fact that the overanalysis of LeBron's game has gone much too far, and the criticism in certain instances in invalid. When I evaluate James on the court, I remove all of that stuff from the picture.

...unless its the last play of the game. Stood out of bounds against the Knicks and set a screen and stood in the corner against the Pacers last night. LBJ got the ball, under a minute left, down 2 and immediately passed it to Battier in the corner who was covered!? What is Battier going to do there?

I didn't have much of a problem with that; Battier's spot is in the corner; it looked for a second like he would be open (whoever was guarding Battier was sagging off him a little bit because Wade was trying to post up). The play happened early enough in the shot clock that Battier passed it right back to him when he didn't have time to get a shot off and there was still plenty of time to get into a play.

who passed it to Wade who missed a layup and if Wade is there closer by default...thats a bad thing because you cant close games based on a reputation from 4 years ago.

Wade was terrible down the stretch. Real bad.

You think Melo or Kobe passes the ball there? No way, they wouldve taken their man and got a shot off because they are going to decide the game.

It's not the same situation, but Kobe spent pretty much the entire 4th quarter of game 7 passing the ball to open players. (and th at isn't a knock, he was making the right plays. Of course, if the game was tied with 20 seconds left I wonder what would've happened...)

The Pacers tried to choke away that game but Miami choked harder.

I just checked the play by play, in the last 5 and a half minutes of the game the two teams went 6-16 from the free throw line. (I think, I did the math kinda quick). That's brutal.

But NOONE should feel bad for Miami. Lebron and Wade better get it done because they were handed the Finals on a silver platter with or without Bosh with what happened to the Knicks and Bulls.

Not feeling bad for them, just observing. I think they have enough to get out of the east if Bosh doesn't come back, but I can't see them winning the title without him. (Also, I do need to laugh a little at your statement; the Knicks weren't beating Miami no matter how healthy we were. Chicago, on the other hand; that would've been a very close series).

You have to be the one to make the dagger shot.

Liked your post, especially th e part about Jordan redefining what we expect (it's a sentiment I've read other places as well and agree with; dude had pretty much a storybook career, right down to the last shot of the 98 finals-we'll forget about the second comeback), but even Jordan passed off to Paxson in Game 6 of the 93 finals to win that one, and Game 6 int he 97 finals to Kerr. (And as a Knick fan I still remember the double nickel game he had early in the comeback where he passed off to Bill Wennington to win the game. Bill Wennington!!) And there's this story, which is great

The Bulls were one game away from their first championship and...well, let's just have Jerry Reinsdorf tell the rest. "The score, I believe, was 93-93, give or take a point. Phil calls a time-out, and he looks at Michael and he says, "Michael, who's open?" Michael gives him a blank stare. He puts his hands on Michael'€™s shoulders and he says, "Michael, who'€™s open?" Michael says, "Paxson." Phil says, "Get him the ball." Paxson scores 10 points after that, and we win going away."

I thought that he missed 3 big FTs last night?

I've read, over and over and over and over again, how James carried a bunch of stiffs in Cleveland to the Finals (of course, what happened when the Cavs got to the Finals is conveniently ignored). Why isn't he making the guys around him in Miami any better?

I've read, over and over and over and over again, how James carried a bunch of stiffs in Cleveland to the Finals (of course, what happened when the Cavs got to the Finals is conveniently ignored). Why isn't he making the guys around him in Miami any better?

Who says he isn't? They're 5-2 in the playoffs. It's not like they got knocked out last night or something; they lost one game. Watching the first round series, he was getting guys tons of open looks that they were knocking down. I didn't get to watch much of the game last night (studying for th e CFA is killing me) so I don't know if he was getting guys lots of open shots last night. Box score says he had a great all around game; 28-9-5 with 6 steals (and no fouls? really?) but obviously the free throws are going to be remembered. (And actually, I think he missed 4 FT in the 4th last night; split 2 pairs and missed the 2 at the end.)

Man, the team looks super thin without Bosh. Like I said, i still think they have enough to take the east but I can't see them beating the Spurs or OKC without Bosh, and with him it's a dogfight.

Who says he isn't? They're 5-2 in the playoffs. It's not like they got knocked out last night or something; they lost one game. (And actually, I think he missed 4 FT in the 4th last night; split 2 pairs and missed the 2 at the end.)

No offense, but the Knicks are not particularly good, and even in Game 1 vs the Pacers, Miami didn't look impressive. It would have been nice if the refs had let the players decide Game 1...

No offense, but the Knicks are not particularly good, and even in Game 1 vs the Pacers, Miami didn't look impressive. It would have been nice if the refs had let the players decide Game 1...

Ha, none taken. I didn't think the Knicks had a chance to beat Miami.

But I'm not sure the basis for saying he isn't making the team better; just seems a little reactionary because they lost last night. Miami is way better than the Knicks, but that doesn't change the fact that Lebron was making his teammates better. (In fact, it's part of the reason Miami is way better than the Knicks.) If I was a good 3 point shooter, I would love to play for Miami. Seems like they get a ton of open looks. (Once again, can't speak to much of last night, but I see they were 1-16 from the line, so yeah. Only game the Knicks beat them, Miami shot 3-17 or something like that from 3 as well)

If Miami doesn't win the title this year, I wonder if they consider breaking up the team. Bosh isn't the best fit for them.

The circle jerks when Miami loses provide a decent amount of morning-after entertainment

I like how a partial statement from Lebron afrter the loss DEFINES HIS LEGACY.

But this is all just an appetized for the haters that precedes Miami's title.

"It doesn't count becasue it's Wade's team."

"Lockout shortened season."

"BUT GUYS DERRICK ROSE"

"The NBA is fixed."

et cetera

I lose my &*^^%* mind when people keep bringing this up. Lets revisit the draft, put Melo on the Cavs and Lebron on the Nuggets...LBJ is not bringing the Nuggets to the Finals out of the West with the Lakers and Spurs. The other argument, "who was the second best player on Cleveland"... I ask you; Who was the second best player on Orlando?

The circle jerks when Miami loses provide a decent amount of morning-after entertainment

I find the slurping of the "Chosen One" (lol) apologists to be more entertaining, personally.

I lose my &*^^%* mind when people keep bringing this up. Lets revisit the draft, put Melo on the Cavs and Lebron on the Nuggets...LBJ is not bringing the Nuggets to the Finals out of the West with the Lakers and Spurs. The other argument, "who was the second best player on Cleveland"... I ask you; Who was the second best player on Orlando?

There's no question the west was stronger than the east in that period; the 07 Cavs aren't sniffing the Finals if they are in the West; we saw what happened when they faced off against an elite West team.

I certainly think if Lebron was on the Nuggets he could've taken them to the finals. (Not saying it is a lock, but definitely could have). Denver was pretty close to getting there in 09 anyway.

I feel like Orlando, in general, had better supporting casts than Cleveland, but not by a whole lot. Dwight Howard is a freaking awesome player also. At least when he isn't trying to sabotage the coach.

Just looked the supporting cast thing; the 2007 Cavs were REAL bad, but it got much better by 09, amd 2010.

I find the slurping of the "Chosen One" (lol) apologists to be more entertaining, personally.

wpid-miami_heat-haters_gonna_hate_display_image6.jpg

samspann what built in hater excuse will you be using this year

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom