Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd? | Syracusefan.com

Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd?

Whom do you prefer?

• Total voters

donniesyracuse

Hall of Fame
I just had this conversation with a couple of my students. I recognize that Led Zeppelin are superior musicians. I appreciate their historical significance and enjoy several of the their LPs, but I just find Pink Floyd more interesting. I prefer to listen to any Floyd LP (that came before A Momentary Lapse of Reason) over any Zeppelin LP.

How about you?

Zep

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Zeppelin. I enjoy Floyd but Zeppelin simply has many, many more songs I enjoy.

p.jpg

Zeppelin, although you can't go wrong with that choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This one is easy - The Black Donnellys. Great show, introducing a young Olivia Wilde with an Irish accent.

I just had this conversation with a couple of my students. I recognize that Led Zeppelin are superior musicians. I appreciate their historical significance and enjoy several of the their LPs, but I just find Pink Floyd more interesting. I prefer to listen to any Floyd LP (that came before A Momentary Lapse of Reason) over any Zeppelin LP.

How about you?

Floyd. Far greater mastery of the medium beyond musicianship alone, and I find their creative use of synth, etc. along with rather more melancholy tones more appealing. Finally, I believe they helped bridge into the pop genre with some of their later work. I appreciate both rock and pop and think Floyd is rather unique viewed from either perspective.

Plus, I can't stand Stairway to Heaven. IMO it earmarks Zeppelin as rather limited in their delivery (so heavy on guitars and bass, lyric often delivered solo) although I will admit they may be superior musicians per se.

Frankly I find Queen and Floyd to be the best of that era. All IMO as music appreciation is purely subjective.

Floyd. Far greater mastery of the medium beyond musicianship alone, and I find their creative use of synth, etc. along with rather more melancholy tones more appealing. Finally, I believe they helped bridge into the pop genre with some of their later work. I appreciate both rock and pop and think Floyd is rather unique viewed from either perspective.
I agree completely.

Floyd. Soundtrack of my first couple years of college.

I'd go Zeppelin. Superior musicianship, highly underrated late catalog (In Through the Out Door and Physical Graffitti are two extremely solid but never noted albums that showed a distinct change of pace and really showcased the musicianship).

I enjoy Floyd a ton, but I can only take so much. The experimentation was great but taken way too far too often for me. Ill listen to DSotM, Wish You Were Here or The Wall all day, but the catalog beyond that is hit or miss for me.

It comes down to what one looks for in music. If one values raw emotion, rhythm, and musicianship than one might prefer Zeppelin. If one values a more melodic, melancholy, and cerebral experience, than one might prefer Floyd. Of course I am generalizing both bands' bodies of work. Each band's catalog runs the gamut.

It's unfortunate that some only know these bands by the songs that get played on classic rock radio. To fully appreciate these bands, one has to listen to the LPs.

Very true, Donnie. Both have their merits and have greatly influenced music as we know it. Just a matter of the cup of tea that day.

I mentioned I preferred Zep, but there are some days where putting some Floyd on and listening to an album or two is the perfect cure to the ailment.

if I am just gonna burn a little hash and drink beers then Zeppelin

if I am gonna eat 3 mushroom caps and run with headphones then floyd

(actually I don't really listen to either anymore but this thread give mea an idea for another thread)