Left with lots of positives | Syracusefan.com

Left with lots of positives

Capt. Tuttle

Living Legend
#1: Jesse Edwards took another step. Could see him figure out that he had to battle harder and be more physical. Really scraped for some rebounds.
Some missed shots and lost rebounds were due to lack of strength, nothing else. Kid is far ahead of where I thought he would be.
(Edit: Jesse appeared to chirp a bit on some blocks and I loved his “flex” on the and one fast break dunk”.
He will be an All ACC pre-season next year. Kid should be the focal point of offense next year.)

#2: Played well enough to win if our AA had a good shooting day. He didn’t. It happens.

3#: In general, the team’s defensive intensity seems to have ramped up.

Last edited:
#1: Jesse Edwards took another step. Could see him figure out that he had to battle harder and be more physical. Really scraped for some rebounds.
Some missed shots and lost rebounds were due to lack of strength, nothing else. Kid is far ahead of where I thought he would be.

#2: Played well enough to win if our AA had a good shooting day. He didn’t. It happens.

3#: In general, the team’s defensive intensity seems to have ramped up.
Yeah, if Buddy and Cole start to play like they are capable, we can hang with and beat just about anyone.

Defense was outstanding overall. We had a chance to put 40 points on Nova in the 1st Half but our outside shooters were either not shooting or missing. Buddy has a "howler" of a game shooting. Missed ones we now expect him to make. Also, his shooting was off overall. Really bad misses. Cole, had a nice job rebounding but right now his lane for offence is not working to his strength. He shoots from the top and it seems awkward for him. (Perhaps he shot from the corners in his previous life). I do not see good spacing for our shooters but perhaps is due to limiting transition baskets for the opposition. All our shooters shoot from the top of the zone and not from corners. Jimmy had a good offensive game. However, he does have significant limitations covering in the zone. Lots of times in 2nd half he stepped out to limit the shooter but Nova did a good job opening space behind him leaving 3v2 in rebounding. When we play to our capabilities on defense we are dangerous. Villanova is a top 10 team. We held our own for 30 minutes. Looks like we got tired in the end. Our Subs (especially forwards) need to provide more quality minutes to help the team. On to Georgetown. Going to the game and hoping for another home court advantage at the Cap Center.

I think I posted this somewhere else, but what worries me about the defensive intensity is that it's great when they play that way for 20 seconds, but when they give up an offensive rebound or two and then need to keep up that intensity for 20 or 40 more seconds it's a problem.

SU has four key players who bring the exact same good skills and exact same limitations. If
they spaced around that's a start, but SU does not have the right sort of ball movement to
free them for open shots. Nova was outstanding at times in whipping the ball around and
finding guys wide open. Several, for sure, as Jimmy bought the pump fake and went flying
past the guy with the ball, leaving an opening behind him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom