Lehigh Valley Questions | Syracusefan.com

Lehigh Valley Questions

JackBauer44

'18 & / '21 Cali Winner: Receiving & Rushing Yards
Hey Friends. Looking for information on the Lehigh Valley area in PA. I’m a finalist for a head coaching position at Lehigh and would potentially have to move my family to PA rather quickly. Looking for neighborhoods, towns, any type of info that would be good to know about for a young family with two little kids considering a move.

Congrats on your opportunity.

My knowledge of the area is pretty superficial but I'll offer these anecdotes:
  • Area seems to be growing at a good clip, particularly for the Northeast. Seems like pretty much everywhere else in the NE where the best days are behind the region. Not really unlike the Capital District. Urban areas are older and can be sketchy. The Burbs are the Burbs. And it doesn't take long to find yourself in the country.
  • Depending on where you are, it can be pretty easy to access NYC or Philly (holds nose).
  • I had two friends in college from Bethlehem proper. Both went to Liberty High School (one of two public High Schools in the city). They were two classes apart, new each other and were friendly, but not necessarily friends. They were both very bright, good athletes, and from good families. I take that to mean the neighborhoods in that attendance zone are likely a good place to raise a family.
  • Another friend from college grew up in Emmaus and thought it was the greatest place ever.
  • Friends of ours live in Macungie. Have not heard any complaints.

I have friends who live in Bethlehem and really enjoy it. They both work in education. One’s at a local college while the other is at a private high school. I see them post frequently about them bike riding and hitting brew pubs. I know from my drives to Cuse from NJ that the area near Route 33 has been growing for awhile now. Oh, their minor league baseball team has a great name, the Iron Pigs. Best of luck.

Thank you all! Really appreciate the comments.

I returned back from campus yesterday after my interview. This has been my first time in the Lehigh Valley area. I came away very impressed.

The interview went very well. They all but told me a job offer is coming after their July 4th break. The hard part is now to start looking for employment for my wife. She works in oncology and hematology and there are zero openings right now to be found. Closest job is Philadelphia which is not a commute either of us want. This would be the only thing that stops me from accepting the job, which is heartbreaking to think about, because I think I could did really well there.

Should be an interesting week of searching.

Thank you all! Really appreciate the comments.

I returned back from campus yesterday after my interview. This has been my first time in the Lehigh Valley area. I came away very impressed.

The interview went very well. They all but told me a job offer is coming after their July 4th break. The hard part is now to start looking for employment for my wife. She works in oncology and hematology and there are zero openings right now to be found. Closest job is Philadelphia which is not a commute either of us want. This would be the only thing that stops me from accepting the job, which is heartbreaking to think about, because I think I could did really well there.

Should be an interesting week of searching.
There are 3 Geisinger Medical facilities within 60 miles of campus. Hope that helps.

For your consideration, Sloan Kettering has a location in Somerset County, which I believe is in Bernard’s Twp, and there is a very large Hospital/Medical complex nearby in Morristown, NJ which I think is part of the Atlantic Health System.

If there was an opportunity for your wife somewhere in either location, you could consider living closer to NJ (on the Pennsylvania side). I don’t think Morristown (which is the further if the two) is more than 55-60 miles from Bethlehem for example. Now traffic, that’s something I’m not sure about.

I haven't lived in the area since 2010. Lived in Emmaus and Macungie. As others have mentioned, lots of Healthcare facilities in the area. Dorney Park is a nice amusement park that is Snoopy themed for the kids. Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs triple A team play in Allentown and have a very nice ballpark. Its a very nice area with plenty to do for all. Beautiful little townships nearby. You are only 45-1 hr north of Philly, so easy to jump on the turnpike and head to any big sporting event.

For perspective, I moved there after meeting someone while in Germany (Air Force) who was from Emmaus. We attempted to see where things would go with the relationship but it wasn't to be. Even after our relationship ended, I stayed in the area for another 4 years because I enjoyed it so much.