Let’s speculate on the future | Syracusefan.com

Let’s speculate on the future

OrlandoCuse

Living Legend
Like many, I’ve mentally turned the page on JB. This isn’t a thread about his retirement or who the next coach will be. The program is clearly in a 50 year low point. I prefer to think about the program’s ascension back to national prominence. So feel free to take a guess at what year Syracuse basketball achieves the following:

- Ranked in the Top 25
- Wins the ACC regular season
- Wins the ACC tournament
- Makes the NCAA tournament
- Makes the Sweet 16
- Makes the Final Four
- Wins the National Championship
- (bonus) Wins 25 and 30 games in a season

Like many, I’ve mentally turned the page on JB. This isn’t a thread about his retirement or who the next coach will be. The program is clearly in a 50 year low point. I prefer to think about the program’s ascension back to national prominence. So feel free to take a guess at what year Syracuse basketball achieves the following:

- Ranked in the Top 25
- Makes the Sweet 16
- Makes the Final Four

-N/A don't see it within next 5 years
- N/A same as above
- N/A - not within 5 years at least
- Don't see a second one honestly. 2003 to reside in fame for a long time
- 2027, N/A

Crystal Ball short circuit -too many variables with NIL and not knowing who takes over!
come on chocolate GIF by HERSHEY’S Cookies ’n’ Creme

- Ranked in the Top 25
- Makes the Sweet 16
- Makes the Final Four
I’ll answer my own post:

Ranked: 2025
ACC champions: 2032
ACCT champions: 2033
Makes NCAAT: 2025
Sweet 16: 2027
Final Four: 2032
National Championship: 2045
Wins 25: 2025
Wins 30: 2032

The good thing is it only takes a year in basketball.

True. So long as a program doesn't get in its own way... certainly who takes over and how much longer JB keeps at it turn into a lengthy road block.

The good thing is it only takes a year in basketball.
The issue is these 5th year covid kids are going to go away soon. Quality of the portal will get worse once that happens.

I think the better question is when can this team return to a period of sustained dominance. Not asking for that 2009-2014 period where we had 6 years in a row of top 4 seeds.

But how about a period where we are a top 4 seed 3 times in 6 years, and a tournament team 5 of 6 years?

One off good years can always happen with a few lucky breaks / great chemistry. Which makes our current streak of lack of top 25 teams more frustrating that we couldn't even have one season where things worked out well.

What if it's not just Boeheim but the state of the program, the conference we are in and the way college basketball works now? Are we what our record says we are?

Last edited:

What if it's not just Boeheim but the state of the program, the conference we are in and the way college basketball works now? Are we what our record says we are?

I don't remember the exact numbers, but it was something like 67-69 out of 76 "P6" basketball teams have been in the top 25 later in the season since the last time we have been there.

This is not a "the way college basketball works" problem.

I don't remember the exact numbers, but it was something like 67-69 out of 76 "P6" basketball teams have been in the top 25 later in the season since the last time we have been there.

This is not a "the way college basketball works" problem.

NIL and the portal are game-changers. The jury is out on their impact on SU but it increases the corruption level of the sport for sure. $$$$$$$

I expect the next coach to get us back in the Top 25 and the tournament in his first year. Let’s say 2024 for the ranking and 2025 for the tournament.
Look what Shaka has done at Marquette. Look what Woodson has done at IU. If we outsource a new head coach this is extremely realistic.

Last edited:
Next season scares me a ton. We’ll likely lose Jesse, Judah, Benny, and Joe (and maybe Chris Bell with how he’s being treated right now.)

Without any 2023 recruit this makes us a bottom three team in the ACC. If you think it can’t get worse under Boeheim, you’re in for a ride until he’s gone.

NIL and the portal are game-changers. The jury is out on their impact on SU but it increases the corruption level of the sport for sure. $$$$$$$

The world where 365 D1 teams are corrupt and cheating and little ol Syracuse are trying to stand up to them.

These are the 5-11 seeds this year. Do you think they are all here because they are massively corrupt and massive cheaters compared to Syracuse? Or maybe its just that many have recruited well (frosh and transfer), developed well, and actually have some sort of reasonable system and coaching in place that fits in 2023.

If you want to use the "others are massive cheaters" excuse, then maybe that works when are no longer a top 15 team year after year. But it doesn't explain us missing or barely making the tournament year after year -- before or post NIL / transfer.

1676870562805.png

I think the better question is when can this team return to a period of sustained dominance. Not asking for that 2009-2014 period where we had 6 years in a row of top 4 seeds.

But how about a period where we are a top 4 seed 3 times in 6 years, and a tournament team 5 of 6 years?

One off good years can always happen with a few lucky breaks / great chemistry. Which makes our current streak of lack of top 25 teams more frustrating that we couldn't even have one season where things worked out well.
Just be ranked and not worry about getting into tournament!!!

- Ranked in the Top 25 — post-JAB+ 2 years with an outsider/+5 years with Red
- Wins the ACC regular season — 2032
- Wins the ACC tournament — 2028
- Makes the NCAA tournament — 2024
- Makes the Sweet 16 — 2026
- Makes the Final Four —2030
- Wins the National Championship — 2032
- (bonus) Wins 25 and 30 games in a season — 2032, 2033

Last edited:
The world where 365 D1 teams are corrupt and cheating and little ol Syracuse are trying to stand up to them.

These are the 5-11 seeds this year. Do you think they are all here because they are massively corrupt and massive cheaters compared to Syracuse? Or maybe its just that many have recruited well (frosh and transfer), developed well, and actually have some sort of reasonable system and coaching in place that fits in 2023.

If you want to use the "others are massive cheaters" excuse, then maybe that works when are no longer a top 15 team year after year. But it doesn't explain us missing or barely making the tournament year after year -- before or post NIL / transfer.

View attachment 225213

I'm just dubious that we will ever get back to being a powerhouse the way we were a decade ago.

If Jesse, Joe and Judah leave, you won’t see JB come back. He already said he doesn’t want to do a complete overhaul. That’s likely going to be the case. That doesn’t even include players who are likely to portal. Season ticket renewals are due May 1. Fans are expected to renew without knowing who will even be on the roster. College basketball keeps getting worse. Besides having no great teams, fans don’t know who’s on their team from one year to the next. Greed is killing the sport. Teams jumping from one conference to another and player free agency with no rules. It really stinks.

If Jesse, Joe and Judah leave, you won’t see JB come back. He already said he doesn’t want to do a complete overhaul. That’s likely going to be the case. That doesn’t even include players who are likely to portal. Season ticket renewals are due May 1. Fans are expected to renew without knowing who will even be on the roster. College basketball keeps getting worse. Besides having no great teams, fans don’t know who’s on their team from one year to the next. Greed is killing the sport. Teams jumping from one conference to another and player free agency with no rules. It really stinks.

Basketball has two transfer portal windows: the first window lasting from Dec. 1-15 and the second being a 45-day window that starts the day after championship selections.

That's March 13-April 27.

Players who wish to declare "early entry" for the NBA Draft have to declare their intentions by April 22.

You'll know before May 1 who's leaving and who's staying. You may not know by then who's transferring in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom