Let's be real... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Let's be real...

I don't know--I thought that the Alabama defense was completely legit. To be honest, I think that the game hinged on a couple of catches that Mike Williams made--uber athletic plays that nobody else on the field would have been able to make. Those plays extended drives and set up TDs. Most teams / players don't make those plays, so I don't view it as a breakdown on Alabama's part of them getting exposed--sometimes great players just make great plays, and no defense is impregnable.

Hats off to Clemson, they deserve all the credit in the world.
I'm definitely not saying Bama isn't the best defense. I'm just saying that the chasm between there defense and say, Clemson's, isn't that far off.

Bama played two high powered offenses all year. One scored 35 and the other, 43.

There's as much talent on the 'Bama D as anywhere in the Country. That being said, that doesn't make them an All-Time Defense.

The way everyone felated them last night, you'd have thought Mike Singletary was directing the GD '85 Bears around.

Most talent in the country, not one of best defenses of all time.

I'm definitely not saying Bama isn't the best defense. I'm just saying that the chasm between there defense and say, Clemson's, isn't that far off.

Bama played two high powered offenses all year. One scored 35 and the other, 43.

Hey--I was the one yesterday in the prediction thread who expected Clemson to rise to the occasion. I knew that they could hang with them on both sides of the ball, and I liked Watson vs. Bama's defense more than Hurts against Clemson's. Also heap in Clemson having been in the NC game last year, and this year not fazed by the hype / the moment too big, and I figured that they had a great chance.

Just think about how the score might have been different if Clemson didn't give Bama a short field by running wide and failing to convert that early 4th and 1.

Hey--I was the one yesterday in the prediction thread who expected Clemson to rise to the occasion. I knew that they could hang with them on both sides of the ball, and I liked Watson vs. Bama's defense more than Hurts against Clemson's. Also heap in Clemson having been in the NC game last year, and this year not fazed by the hype / the moment too big, and I figured that they had a great chance.

Just think about how the score might have been different if Clemson didn't give Bama a short field by running wide and failing to convert that early 4th and 1.
i was busy yesterday (I know, hindsight 20/20) but I was in on Clemson too. I figured last year gave them a 'Giants-pats in 07' moment of clarity and proved to them they could win.

When the team with the defense wins, "defense win 'ships".
When the team with the offense wins, "meh that defense was never that great".

When the team with the defense wins, "defense win 'ships".
When the team with the offense wins, "meh that defense was never that great".
It was great. Welcome to football in 2017 where Offense >>>>>>> Defense.

All we're saying is that they may have been overhyped due to the weak offenses they played all year. Overhyped doesn't mean "not great", it just means "not the greatest".

Need someone from the other division to become a power. Hopefully Richt does that with Miami.
The quick way to accomplish an upgrade to the Coastal is to swap VPI for Louavul.

The quick way to accomplish an upgrade to the Coastal is to swap VPI for Louavul.
ive been trying to figure out a way to type that, best I could come up with is lullvil.

Might I ask... what is an all-time great defense?
Beany Cook always pointed to a certain defense from 1959 as the best. :)

Clemson's OL is one of the, if not THE, best in CFB.

Interesting that Daron Payne (#94) got driven back 5 yards. Maybe Steven's better/stronger than I thought. I need to find the Clemson/SU game and take a look at how he did. Don't recall him getting blown off the LOS even when doubled up.

I finished watching the Clemson/SU game. Never got pushed back 5+ yards when doubled up. Also noticed that when he was in, they didn't run to his side much, even when doubled up. Of course, Clemson was able to negate whatever impact he may have had by doubling up on him.