Let's get this guy! | Syracusefan.com

Let's get this guy!

All players are part of a puzzle. You don’t think Houston played team basketball?

Wasn't my point. Grimes was their volume guy and their featured offensive talent. How big of a puzzle piece would he be here?

I would feel a lot better about our backcourt situation with this guy; former 5 star guard, 6-5, went to Kansas. Transferring out after being a part-time player who shot 35% from three.

Is it just me, or does that article about Bryce Thompson read like a fluff piece for Coach Self?

I would rather have a pure pg. We've had several years of combo guards it seems.

Yeah, but 5 star talent is a guy who can get buckets. We need that. You can't live and die on 3 point shooting alone.

Is it just me, or does that article about Bryce Thompson read like a fluff piece for Coach Self?

Yeah, it did.

Here's a good video. Kid looks like a legitimate PG to me. And a guy who can get buckets on the drive.

Another shooting guard isn’t going to do anything for us.

Go look at the video. He's a better version of Kadary - 6-5, better passer, gets to the rim on the break, shoots the 3, has several nice, creative feeds of the post. Looks like a player to me.

I hope all the "lets go get this guy" posters dont get too frustrated when this is the team we have next year.

Go look at the video. He's a better version of Kadary - 6-5, better passer, gets to the rim on the break, shoots the 3, has several nice, creative feeds of the post. Looks like a player to me.

Meh. He had a one to one Assist to TO ratio. Everyones Highlight video looks good. Kansas didn’t play him for a reason.

Yeah, it did.

Here's a good video. Kid looks like a legitimate PG to me. And a guy who can get buckets on the drive.

I miss the days when we played in the paint.

I hope all the "lets go get this guy" posters dont get too frustrated when this is the team we have next year.

You can't play a whole season with only 3 guards. Symir was not intended to challenge either returning guy. He's not that exciting a prospect, to be honest. Competent, but I don't think he even compares to somebody like Frank Howard or Scoop Jardine.

So, if he's maybe not any better than somebody like Goodine or Carey, that means we may be returning to 35 minutes of Joe again. And what if somebody gets hurt? Entering a season with only 3 guards on the roster is "Roster Malpractice".

You can't play a whole season with only 3 guards. Symir was not intended to challenge either returning guy. He's not that exciting a prospect, to be honest. Competent, but I don't think he even compares to somebody like Frank Howard or Scoop Jardine.

So, if he's maybe not any better than somebody like Goodine or Carey, that means we may be returning to 35 minutes of Joe again. And what if somebody gets hurt? Entering a season with only 3 guards on the roster is "Roster Malpractice".

Who was the 4th guard in 2010?

I’ll hang up and listen.

2017 we would have had 2 guards, if John Gillon didn’t Grad transfer in.

And while folks will gripe about that season since we missed the NCAA’s - we also had several amazing W’s along the way.

With 2.5 guards, since Frank was hurt/ineffective.

We just finished a season of having and playing only 3 guards. The rotations are set. Maybe we add a PG, but I could easily see JB rolling with what we have.

I’ll hang up and listen.

And while folks will gripe about that season since we missed the NCAA’s - we also had several amazing W’s along the way.

Kris Joseph or Wes could’ve popped up there, and we had Mookie Jones off the bench.

Thompson is a player but he is definitely not a PG from what I've seen. Will be a solid wing somewhere though, I like him

I’ll hang up and listen.

While you can point to some teams like that, we usually have a 4th guard, both for practices, and in case somebody gets injured, like what happened the year Andy tore his ACL and then Devo got injured after 10 games, 2008 I think it was. It was good that we had 4 guards on the roster, because at a certain point only 2 were healthy and we were playing walk-ons.

You can point to recent seasons, too, since 2010 where we mostly had 4 guards, even if one was a project (e.g. Howard Washington), or one got hurt, or quit the team early in the season. It's hard to run competitive practices with only 3 scholarship guards.

Kris Joseph or Wes could’ve popped up there, and we had Mookie Jones off the bench.

Mookie Jones would have been the "Break Glass In Case of Emergency" fill in at guard. He had a bit of a handle and certainly could hit a 3.

Mookie Jones would have been the "Break Glass In Case of Emergency" fill in at guard. He had a bit of a handle and certainly could hit a 3.
He won the state title as a jr, he was probably pretty darn good, not a bad 4th guy at all to have.

He won the state title as a jr, he was probably pretty darn good, not a bad 4th guy at all to have.

Oh yeah, I loved Mookie. He shot the lights out for us a few times.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom