Lets run the ball this year | Syracusefan.com

Lets run the ball this year

kcsu

Living Legend
Tucker, Adams, Howard, are big physical backs. We havnt had a running back room like this in over 10 years. Assuming the offensive line stays healthy and is coached up which they will be i hope that we pound the ball. I dont care about playing fast. I dont want lineman that are measured by how fast they can run to line of scrimmage between plays. I want to see guys maul the other team. Want to see the physicality back. No more gimmick crap just hard nosed ball.

You can play both finesse and physical. Doesn't have to be one or the other.

And I bet we see a lot of improvement with the power concept running game

Agreed. Teams being afraid of the pass and having to adjust to stop it is what makes opposing defenses susceptible to the run in this system.

OL will be the key to the season, IMO -- even moreso than QB [where I have confidence that we can pivot if DeVito doesn't get the job done]. Improved depth and experience will pay dividends this year.

You can play both finesse and physical. Doesn't have to be one or the other.

And I bet we see a lot of improvement with the power concept running game
I dont agree. Teams need an identity. Finesse and Physical typically dont exist on the same team. I want to see us throw some size on the field. Big physical line. Tough QB. Physical WRs. Between the tackles RBs.

I dont agree. Teams need an identity. Finesse and Physical typically dont exist on the same team. I want to see us throw some size on the field. Big physical line. Tough QB. Physical WRs. Between the tackles RBs.

The best teams are good at both, ideally our identity is being an offensive juggernaut that can score quickly or methodically.

You'll def see some more size on the O-line this year. Hopefully a couple of the big WRs can step up too

I think a player can be either more finesse or more physical (or, both), but I don't think you can have an identity as finesse only. Physicality is part of football, and it is anchored in the line play. Run first, or pass first, it has to be there. I would rather our identity lie in being unpredictable, or flexible. Harder to game-plan against that.
But to your point of having more of a running identity, I think we will run the ball better for various reasons. But what will make it really click is the ability to throw the ball as well. I'd love to see us run for 2-250 yds/g and throw for 2-250 yds/g on average. But that means some games it's 300-350/100-150 in favor of whatever is working better that day. (I know, I might be dreaming with some of those total yards numbers...).

I think a player can be either more finesse or more physical (or, both), but I don't think you can have an identity as finesse only. Physicality is part of football, and it is anchored in the line play. Run first, or pass first, it has to be there. I would rather our identity lie in being unpredictable, or flexible. Harder to game-plan against that.
But to your point of having more of a running identity, I think we will run the ball better for various reasons. But what will make it really click is the ability to throw the ball as well. I'd love to see us run for 2-250 yds/g and throw for 2-250 yds/g on average. But that means some games it's 300-350/100-150 in favor of whatever is working better that day. (I know, I might be dreaming with some of those total yards numbers...).
Agreed balance is important. I expect Shrader to start which will definitely change the team to a more physical one as the kid is tough as nails. I would like to see us use the middle of the field more and take advantage of our size at WR by moving Harris to the slot and playing Bigs outside.
Think NDSU and its what im hoping for on O.

Agreed balance is important. I expect Shrader to start which will definitely change the team to a more physical one as the kid is tough as nails. I would like to see us use the middle of the field more and take advantage of our size at WR by moving Harris to the slot and playing Bigs outside.

Yeesh, why don’t we run the wing -t or the wishbone?

Long term interest of the program is for Devito to succeed and have a big year throwing the ball

Play in a dome in a southern conference

Babers runs the ball just over 50% of the time. The running game needs to be effective. Let's see how we did.

Rushing yards per carry/rank.

2016: 116th
2017: 79th
2018: 58th
2019: 101st
2020: 120th

In Schmidts 8 years at SDSU. Ranked 15th in the nation, in that time span. (YPC). #20 in 2015, #12 in 2012, #7 in 2016, #9 in 2017.

I dont care how we do it. Fast, slow, whatever. If we become a TRUE P5 threat to run? Everything opens up. Might even see the real Tommy Devito.

I will get on Tommy as much as anyone, but I do not question his toughness one bit. If anything, #13 would rather take a sack than throw it away, which is something many (me as well) have gotten him on.

I will get on Tommy as much as anyone, but I do not question his toughness one bit. If anything, #13 would rather take a sack than throw it away, which is something many (me as well) have gotten him on.
I didn't mean to question his toughness as he is tough as nails but he isn't a physical runner. He is fast but he isnt getting you the fourth and 1. The new kid is known for being an excellent dual threat. He looks for contact. Kinda reminds me of someone.

if you can run at tempo you become a hard to stop and the play action becomes even better.

But Baby steps.. lets figure out 3rd/4th and 1s first
Going fast doesn't make your linemen better blockers. Imo, we've seen quantity, not quality. If we can get quality? Great. Going quick to mask fundamentals might get you some yards, but being good blockers gets you more.

In the last 5 years, we averaged 95th in YPC. Not at a P5 level. Addazios lower ranked recruits managed to block at a P5 level, when everyone knew they were running. (Best ranks of, 12th,26th,34th).

If we see effective line play, we win games. Thats football. An amazing scrambler might win you some, but I'd rather win with an effective line, RBs, Wrs and QB. (Team)

Yeesh, why don’t we run the wing -t or the wishbone?

Long term interest of the program is for Devito to succeed and have a big year throwing the ball

Play in a dome in a southern conference

With the threat of the running game. Healthy OL (please god) and that RB room, DeVito can be a murderer on play action.

Blueprint is there, staff in place. Health and execution? Let’s all hope.

Going fast doesn't make your linemen better blockers. Imo, we've seen quantity, not quality. If we can get quality? Great. Going quick to mask fundamentals might get you some yards, but being good blockers gets you more.

In the last 5 years, we averaged 95th in YPC. Not at a P5 level. Addazios lower ranked recruits managed to block at a P5 level, when everyone knew they were running. (Best ranks of, 12th,26th,34th).

If we see effective line play, we win games. Thats football. An amazing scrambler might win you some, but I'd rather win with an effective line, RBs, Wrs and QB. (Team)
100% agree but line has been a longtime problem for us. Not just years...over decades there have been very few years that I would say our line was above average. More years of average to below average. So when you are not certain what your line is going to get you, having a scrambler is just advantageous as I know you already know Random. I know I am preaching to the choir there. That said our new oline coach, combined with a healthy upper class line with depth certainly can stoke some optimism. Couple that with truly talented rbs, a couple QBs looking to prove something and some diamond in the rough Wrs and we just may have the makings of something this year on offense. Lots needs to happen but there's reason for cautious optimism from my viewpoint.

not about being better blockers.. but tempo when running makes it very hard for the D since running wears down the D faster and tempo running means no chances for subs.. passing at tempo can do the same thing but you still get the drop/miss throw to allow some subs to come in.. you dont get that if you are able to run 4-5-6 plays in a row

not about being better blockers.. but tempo when running makes it very hard for the D since running wears down the D faster and tempo running means no chances for subs.. passing at tempo can do the same thing but you still get the drop/miss throw to allow some subs to come in.. you dont get that if you are able to run 4-5-6 plays in a row
I know. We were able to run tempo the 1st 3 years. Yards per carry? 85th over that time span. Its good they weren't able to sub. I wonder where our YPC would be without having worn down the defense?

2018 is the outlier. ED lead the team with 184 carries. Moe Neal had 2 800 yards seasons(18,19). Tucker with 600, last year, and everyone else 500 and below.

Last edited:
With the threat of the running game. Healthy OL (please god) and that RB room, DeVito can be a murderer on play action.

Blueprint is there, staff in place. Health and execution? Let’s all hope.
Tommy needs to make much quicker reads and to feel the pressure. Im pulling for him but expect Shrader to start by the 5th game

This offense is going to look a lot different as the season progresses with Mike Schmidt running the offensive line. I am very confident the ball is about to move, but not in the same method as in prior years. We are going to punish the middle of a defense and are gonna drink from that well as success and confidence improves

Tucker, Adams, Howard, are big physical backs. We havnt had a running back room like this in over 10 years. Assuming the offensive line stays healthy and is coached up which they will be i hope that we pound the ball. I dont care about playing fast. I dont want lineman that are measured by how fast they can run to line of scrimmage between plays. I want to see guys maul the other team. Want to see the physicality back. No more gimmick crap just hard nosed ball.

That's what we used to be known for. Playing southern schools who didn't respect Yankee football, and then we would go down there and literally pound them, playing such physical football.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom