Lights Off! | Syracusefan.com

Lights Off!

Alcuse01

Scout Team
It's been sometime now since I've been to the dome early enough... (so maybe they changed it but I doubt it) but I thought it was awesome turning the lights off and having the players come out. I wish they did that before each game, with the opening video like that. And showed that on TV too...

That was cool ... there was some discussion here on this an I believe someone said it wasn't possible due to the Dome lights that needed to "heat up" and couldn't be turned on right away. It seemed silly in this day and age they couldn't find a solution to this problem. It looks like they did and that's a good thing.

Can someone in attendance tell us if lighting went back on OK? I'd love to see them do that for the big games.

Now they just need some good spots and lights to run when the lights are off. From the computer it looked like they had some temporary spot lights which looked like they could get pretty lame pretty quick. Although they sure did the trick in a pinch.

I thought I remember hearing something once where the type of lights in the dome needed to "heat up" and it took 15-20 minutes to turn them on fully and that this was the reason they could not turn out the lights for the team intros. Well maybe they updated the lights b/c they seemed to turn them on and off a number of times on Friday without any problems. That would be great if they did an upgrade and can do this for every game now.

Also having midnight madness on espn3 was AWESOME! Huge boost for us out of state fans.

yeah i remember hearing the same -- with the lights the same as the one I had in my elementary and HS gyms -- that took forever to warm up. But they went on and off a bunch last night... and witht he dunk for Dion popped on and off real quick... so it's possible.

anyone? maybe they do that this year?

It did take about 5 -10 minutes or so for the lights to come back. I could see if it was a regular game that it might be considered too long before action could start.

However I actually thought the lights came on sooner than I originally thought they would.

Others have pointed out it's been done at other venues so I imagine there are some other lighting options available.

They are probably some sort or ballast driven lights either metal halide, mercury vapor or high pressure sodium. All of which involve ballasts (basically a transformer with a capacitor in line) that ramps up the voltage to get them started. These type of lights do take a while to "burn in" so to speech.

I made a similar comment last year after going to see Cuse play at Georgetown. Georgetown's intro gave me chills with the lights off and spotlights flashing around. Could also have been a result of the fact that the environment there is much "closer" to the court as it is obviously smaller than the dome. The responses here on the forum were a combination of what was mentioned above regarding the ability of the lights in the dome, as well as quite a few people who don't like the "NBA" feel to a college game.

I made a similar comment last year after going to see Cuse play at Georgetown. Georgetown's intro gave me chills with the lights off and spotlights flashing around. Could also have been a result of the fact that the environment there is much "closer" to the court as it is obviously smaller than the dome. The responses here on the forum were a combination of what was mentioned above regarding the ability of the lights in the dome, as well as quite a few people who don't like the "NBA" feel to a college game.

I was at the crazy game @Pitt last season. They do the same. It was awesome.

Another challenge for them is to find a good place for the spotlights. They put them on top of the entrance/exit at section 309/310 at midcourt of the third level Friday night. The stand, the big spotlights and guys operating them blocked the view of perhaps 20 seats behind it all. These were all prime seats that were left empty as no one wanted to deal with the obstructed view.

If they decide to make this a permanent thing, they probably should put them on the other side, behind the movable bleachers. I wonder why they didn't do it this time? Were they concerned over the weight? Or was it a deep seated conviction that there was no possible way anyone was going to sit on the third level anyway? I guess communications could have been better...but to be fair, everything changed late when the legends game was announced.

Here's the difference. We have a transglucent teflon roof. Which makes it impossible to get dark during day games. We could do the spotlight intros, but only for night games.

Here's the difference. We have a transglucent teflon roof. Which makes it impossible to get dark during day games. We could do the spotlight intros, but only for night games.

How many day games does the basketball team play in a typical season?

One?

Maybe two max?

I heard on Mythbusters they came off and on pretty easy during Dions last dunk. :noidea:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom