Lin and Tebow on "100 most influential persons" list... | Syracusefan.com

Lin and Tebow on "100 most influential persons" list...

I would agree with them being on that list. Especially Tebow. People were watching his games in countries that dont even follow American Football.

If these two are in reality 2 of the top 100 most influential persons then I am glad. We could do alot worse in terms of who we are influenced by...

I don't have a problem with those two, but look at the other four athletes selected. I understand Yani Tseng has had a great career thus far, but I don't know if I see where she could be one of the top 100.
I didn't know who the South African runner but he is a double amputee who will be competing in the 2012 Summer Olympics in London. Very inspirational.

Here is the official list. Anyone who has heard of more than 60 or so probably deserves to be on the list.

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/completelist/0,29569,2111975,00.html

Four other athletes made Time's list: tennis player Novak Djokovic; golfer Yani Tseng; soccer player Lionel Messi; and South African runner Oscar Pistorius.

Perhaps something to do with the impact their faith has on people. That's all I can imagine.

Tebow? Sure.

Lin? No freaking way. That's based on, what, 10 games or so? It may not be true in NYC, but I can tell you that where I live (north Texas) he's been all but forgotten. How does that make him so influential?

Saying they're among the 100 "most" influential people in the world?

C'mon.

I haven't looked at the list, but it's probably more accurately described as "75-80 Most Influential People and then 20-25 Who Will Best Help Us Sell This Magazine."

Tebow's got the religious nuts hook, line, and sinker. Lin's one of the first Asian-American NBA players ever. They're both only influential in the US, though. They don't make sense on a global level.

Both deserve to be on that list. I mean not top 10 or anything but out of 100 people, yes they both deserve it.

Tebow? Sure.

Lin? No freaking way. That's based on, what, 10 games or so? It may not be true in NYC, but I can tell you that where I live (north Texas) he's been all but forgotten. How does that make him so influential?
Lin's forgotten in Syracuse too

Tebow is a stretch at best; I would not put him on a most "influential" list.

Lin? No way. Some of those on the list who belong on the list are probably embarrased that they have been included on a list w/ Lin

The only way I see Lin making sense is his tie to Taiwan/China... where over 1 billion people live, most of whom are rooting for his success.

Lets see ..the world population is approximately 7 billion. The US population is about 311 million.

Lists like this bring to mind a word I learned in anthropology class at Syracuse University...ethnocentric.

Apparently not everyone (Time mag) has the privilege and honor of taking a good anthropology class at a great university?