Linebackers | Syracusefan.com

Linebackers

shu 49

All Conference
Well looked like we were more downhill than last few games. Also saw Shy and Richards do well in first half then they disappeared until end of game. They give the others a break and they play hard. Big shout out to them. Thought Guthrie had a good game. Whit did ok but better in coverage. Still didnt come downhill while I watch Shy, Terrell, and Guthrie coming down hard. Other than that 56 yder we held them to around 100 yds. Proud of the whole group. Swap em out and keep em rested. Be proud Bam.

I thought Shy played great. really other than the jet sweep they shut down most of the running game. UNC ran a couple nice designed misdirection play that worked but the normal running plays we were on top of all game.

Very happy with the job they did and nice to see more of a rotation as well. Credit to the DL as well as they played their part in this run game. Gave up 17 points in 60 minutes which I feel was a job well done even though they did lose the field position war a bit. Way to fight guys!

Whit tackles like the DB he is. Smart heady player but not a hitter.
Shy brings it. Love his downhill aggressiveness. He will only get better over time.

I thought Shy played great. really other than the jet sweep they shut down most of the running game. UNC ran a couple nice designed misdirection play that worked but the normal running plays we were on top of all game.
I wish he could shed a couple days in the gym and move to safety. Has a nose for it
Proud of how he handled himself against a beefy team

Well looked like we were more downhill than last few games. Also saw Shy and Richards do well in first half then they disappeared until end of game. They give the others a break and they play hard. Big shout out to them. Thought Guthrie had a good game. Whit did ok but better in coverage. Still didnt come downhill while I watch Shy, Terrell, and Guthrie coming down hard. Other than that 56 yder we held them to around 100 yds. Proud of the whole group. Swap em out and keep em rested. Be proud Bam.
I am proud. He did well when he was out there. He had that one Big play he bit to the inside and the guy picked up 20. He had a couple small mistakes in other plays but he made some big plays so I like the over all performance. Hopefully he will get some more time and get more comfortable and make some more big plays next week. But to tell you the truth bc is the game I am looking forward to. Aj Dillion and shy played against each other in high school and are friends. I am looking forward to that match up.

I am proud. He did well when he was out there. He had that one Big play he bit to the inside and the guy picked up 20. He had a couple small mistakes in other plays but he made some big plays so I like the over all performance. Hopefully he will get some more time and get more comfortable and make some more big plays next week. But to tell you the truth bc is the game I am looking forward to. Aj Dillion and shy played against each other in high school and are friends. I am looking forward to that match up.
Looked to me that when Shy was in we have a 3 LB scheme. I really liked that fact that finally we saw some adjustments in the D to try to shore-up the run D.

Looked to me that when Shy was in we have a 3 LB scheme. I really liked that fact that finally we saw some adjustments in the D to try to shore-up the run D.
That is correct. Shy was telling me last night about what sets they would go 3 backers and what ones they didn’t. Hopefully after watching film ward will feel more comfortable leaving the 3 backers out there more. That second half they got away from it and 20 unanswered points happened quick. I hope ward will feel he can trust Shy and he won’t have to keep running on and off the field. It’s hard to run out there get the play get set and see what’s happening before the ball is snapped.

100% right. I’ve always said that I trust coaches and I think when they grade film, Shy’s grading out High this week. I made it a point to follow him when he entered the game and his run fits were some of the best I’ve seen since Zaire. I don’t see Armstrong keeping his base and fitting blockers like Shy did. He had one wrong angle in the 2nd half that lead to a big play, but that’s correctable by experience. Point blank - Shy earned more reps. His play yesterday was fantastic. His blowup of the trick play that led to an interception was a burst we haven’t seen this season. I’m sure you’re one proud guy today, Bam. Congrats to you and Shy.

100% right. I’ve always said that I trust coaches and I think when they grade film, Shy’s grading out High this week. I made it a point to follow him when he entered the game and his run fits were some of the best I’ve seen since Zaire. I don’t see Armstrong keeping his base and fitting blockers like Shy did. He had one wrong angle in the 2nd half that lead to a big play, but that’s correctable by experience. Point blank - Shy earned more reps. His okay yesterday was fantastic. His blowup of the trick play that led to an interception was a burst we haven’t seen this season. I’m sure you’re one proud guy today, Bam. Congrats to you and Shy.
Thanks! Always good to hear!

Bam congrats to Shy and I am glad that the young man is getting some opportunity. He had one great play shooting into the backfield nailing Carter for a two yard loss. Did i hear that Juan Wallace saw some game action as well? Thought I saw both Shy and Juan out there.

Bam congrats to Shy and I am glad that the young man is getting some opportunity. He had one great play shooting into the backfield nailing Carter for a two yard loss. Did i hear that Juan Wallace saw some game action as well? Thought I saw both Shy and Juan out there.
He have been... I heard Richards was also... but to be honest I spend most of my time looking to see if 24 is out there and what he is doing. Have to watch a replay to see how others did lol

That will be fun.

That is correct. Shy was telling me last night about what sets they would go 3 backers and what ones they didn’t. Hopefully after watching film ward will feel more comfortable leaving the 3 backers out there more. That second half they got away from it and 20 unanswered points happened quick. I hope ward will feel he can trust Shy and he won’t have to keep running on and off the field. It’s hard to run out there get the play get set and see what’s happening before the ball is snapped.
Which is what killed me when he stopped playing them. I was pissed.

100% right. I’ve always said that I trust coaches and I think when they grade film, Shy’s grading out High this week. I made it a point to follow him when he entered the game and his run fits were some of the best I’ve seen since Zaire. I don’t see Armstrong keeping his base and fitting blockers like Shy did. He had one wrong angle in the 2nd half that lead to a big play, but that’s correctable by experience. Point blank - Shy earned more reps. His play yesterday was fantastic. His blowup of the trick play that led to an interception was a burst we haven’t seen this season. I’m sure you’re one proud guy today, Bam. Congrats to you and Shy.

Help me out, if you (or anyone else) would, please.
First, I absolutely agree that Shy made some big plays and he was very noticeable (in a good way!) when he was on the field. I'm very happy for him, and of course for Bam.
But what I am curious about is why there seems to be a fair amount of criticism of Guthrie. He makes a lot of plays, and seems to be very active. He doesn't display the downhill attack style that many posters (including me) want to see, but I feel he has done a more than adequate job.
As a fan, but not a former player, I obviously watch the ball more often, so I see what's happening, but I miss what "isn't happening," if you follow. So, what should I watch for to assess who is playing well and who is out of position, taking bad angles, etc?
This could apply to the D-line or secondary as well. I just want to be more understanding and appreciative of the nuances of the game. It will make it more fun (or frustrating!) for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom