Little contest | Syracusefan.com

Little contest

Cheriehoop

Moderator/ 2019-20 Iggy Winner Reg Season Rcd
A.Without looking, guess SU’s top percentage 5 three point shooters (minimum of 100 3 point shots attempted) in the era from 1986-1987 though 2007-2008 when the 3 point line was at 19ft 9in?

B. Next - the 5 best 3 point percentage shooters at SU from 2008-2009 season through 2018-2019 season when the 3 point line was moved out to 20 ft 9 in? (again a minimum of 100 three point shot attempts)

Surprising Trivia fact - Derek Brower has the highest 3 point percentage of all SU players - 60%! He was 3 for 5 for his SU career all from his senior year in 1988.

I’m too young to really know the teams from the 80s and 90s, so I’m just going to guess the best 3 point shooters from ‘09-‘19. In no particular order:

Tyler Lydon, Andy Rautins, Wes Johnson, Andrew White, and James Southerland.

I’m confident in Lydon and Rautins. I am confident in Johnson IF he got enough attempts. White was a bit of a volume shooter so not sure about him. And I wasn’t confident at all in any of the options for the 5th spot so I went with Southerland even though I remember him being streaky at times.

First group -
Greg “Money” Monroe.
Matt Roe
Shump
DNic
Wildcard - Elvir! No, I’m kidding - let’s go w Devo.

Second group -
Wes 40+ % (dunno if he took over 100)
Uncle Drew 40+ %
John Gillon 40+ %
(These 3 were ‘easy’ since their 1 season was also their career)
Rico
Rautins the Younger

What do I win? ;)

K, I just checked. Wild!
Definitely a few surprises in there.

Last edited:
A.Without looking, guess SU’s top percentage 5 three point shooters (minimum of 100 3 point shots attempted) in the era from 1986-1987 though 2007-2008 when the 3 point line was at 19ft 9in?

B. Next - the 5 best 3 point percentage shooters at SU from 2008-2009 season through 2018-2019 season when the 3 point line was moved out to 20 ft 9 in? (again a minimum of 100 three point shot attempts)

Surprising Trivia fact - Derek Brower has the highest 3 point percentage of all SU players - 60%! He was 3 for 5 for his SU career all from his senior year in 1988.
Love this question because its HARD. I've got a feeling the best career shooting percentages don't belong to the best shooters, but instead to the guys who only shot when they were wide open. I'd be surprised if anyone got all 5 from each list. Maybe as a board we can come up with all of them?

Old timers:
Matt Roe
Greg Monroe - in the early days of the 3 point line nobody shot it unless they were WIDE open and had tons of time to measure their shot, I'd be surprised if both these guys weren't on the list.
John Wallace - I think of him as a super high percentage 3 point shooter as a senior. Not sure what he did his other years, but I'm going to guess he didn't take many of them, so I'm putting him on this list.
Jason Cippola - One of my all time underrated SU players. Poor man's Andy Rautins.
I really can't think of a good fifth option. I bet its someone you wouldn't think of. I remember Preston Shumpert shot ridiculously high percentages from 3 early in his career, then trailed off at the end, especially after he got poked in the eye. Maybe that's good enough? I'll guess him, but with zero confidence in the guess.

New Age:
Andrew White only played here one year and set 3 point records, so I'll guess him.
Wes Johnson definitely shot over 40% in his one year so I'll go with him
Tyler Lydon - one of those guys who was a great shooter, and also never took the shot unless he was wide open
John Gillon
Mike Gbinije - I know he shot right about 40% his last 2 years, not so sure about the first, I'd guess it wasn't as great, I'm not at all confident in this answer, but can't think of anyone better.

A) Roe, Janulis, Shumpert, Nichols, and Wallace(I remember he was like 42% as a senior - guessing he shot 100?)

B) Rautins, Wes, White, Southerland, Lydon

In the first group is definitely Matt Roe and Greg Monroe. After that I’m not sure but I’ll go with Janulis, Shumpert and Mookie.

The second group I’ll go with White, Lydon, Wes, Southerland and G.

BTW, I disagree on Brower. That walk-in who had a long last name, Matt something, I remember was said to have some ridiculous high percentage.

Also it’s tough with a couple players who spanned both those eras like Andy.

In the first group is definitely Matt Roe and Greg Monroe. After that I’m not sure but I’ll go with Janulis, Shumpert and Mookie.

The second group I’ll go with White, Lydon, Wes, Southerland and G.

BTW, I disagree on Brower. That walk-in who had a long last name, Matt something, I remember was said to have some ridiculous high percentage.

Matt Tomaszewski?

Matt Tomaszewski?

that be him. I remember a snippet in an article about how many in a row he had made and some crazy high percentage he had.

Old heads: Roe, Devo, Rautins, Shump, Marius

New heads: Wes, Gillon, AW3, Lydon, Buddy

My #5s on both lists aren't as confident.

Answer below:

A.
1. Greg Monroe 43.89%
2. M. Roe 43.32%
3. M. Janulis 39.92%
4. J. Wallace 39.05%
5. P. Shumpert 37.78%

B.
1. J. Gillon 41.86%
2. W. Johnson 41.46%
3. A. White 40.29%
4. T. Lydon 40.0%
5. M. Jones 39.68%

What might surprise some people are #5-#10 for each category too.

A.
6. E. Devendorf - 37.06%(3 years)
7. M. Hopkins - 37.04%
8. T. Burgan - 35.89%
9. D. Nichols - 35.78%
10. G. McNamara - 35.37%
B.
6. E. Devendorf - 39.0% (senior year)
7. A. Rautins - 38.46% (junior senior years)
8. M. Gbinije - 38.4%
9. J. Southerland - 37.04%
10. S. Jardine - 36.94% (last 3 years)

Buddy Boeheim is leading the pack since 2019 when the 3 point line was extended from 20ft 9 in to 22 ft 1and 3/4 in at 37.58% (his last 2 years). Elijah Hughes is next at 35.56% for his 2 years here after the 3 point line was extended.

Mike Hopkins, John Wallace, Todd Burgan, Mookie Jones, Mike Gbinije, Marius Janulis, Preston Shumpert, Scoop etc surprise names on these lists?

Also it’s tough with a couple players who spanned both those eras like Andy.
True that’s why I tried to separate those years out and some players made one list but not the other. I think we forget the adjustments 3 point shooters have had to make over time too.

A.
1. Greg Monroe 43.89%
2. M. Roe 43.32%
3. M. Janulis 39.92%
4. J. Wallace 39.05%
5. P. Shumpert

B.
1. J. Gillon 41.86%
2. W. Johnson 41.46%
3. A. White 40.29%
4. T. Lydon 40.0%
5. M. Jones 39.68%

What might surprise some people are #5-#10 for each category too.
A.
6. E. Devendorf - 37.06%(3 years)
7. M. Hopkins - 37.04%
8. T. Burgan - 35.89%
9. D. Nichols - 35.78%
10. G. McNamara - 35.37%
B.
6. E. Devendorf - 39.0% (senior year)
7. A. Rautins - 38.46% (junior senior years)
8. M. Gbinije - 38.4%
9. J. Southerland - 37.04%
10. S. Jardine - 36.94% (last 3 years)

Buddy Boeheim is leading the pack since 2019 when the 3 point line was extended from 20ft 9 in to 22 ft 1and 3/4 in at 37.58% (his last 2 years). Elijah Hughes is next at 35.56% for his 2 years here after the 3 point line was extended.

Mike Hopkins, Todd Burgan, Mike Gbinije, Marius Janulis, Scoop etc surprise names on these lists?

ha. I had mookie in the wrong group.

Great thread. Monroe had that crazy low, line-drive shot.

I will always maintain that had the 3-point line been in effect during his career, Raf Addison would have been the school’s leading scorer, and his percentage would have been right up there.

Great thread. Monroe had that crazy low, line-drive shot.

I will always maintain that had the 3-point line been in effect during his career, Raf Addison would have been the school’s leading scorer, and his percentage would have been right up there.
True - Raf certainly, that eye injury his senior year was so sad. He did play for the Knicks if I recall. Then others like - Kid Kohl, Marty Headd, Jim Lee, Hal Cohen etc

First group -
Greg “Money” Monroe.
Matt Roe
Shump
DNic
Wildcard - Elvir! No, I’m kidding - let’s go w Devo.

Second group -
Wes 40+ % (dunno if he took over 100)
Uncle Drew 40+ %
John Gillon 40+ %
(These 3 were ‘easy’ since their 1 season was also their career)
Rico
Rautins the Younger

What do I win? ;)

K, I just checked. Wild!
Definitely a few surprises in there.
Reading your reply my immediats thought was that Monroe only played in 1 year with the 3 pt shot. I was right. The first year of th 3 pt shot was his senior year. He more than doubled his avg and total points. He was made for the arc! If it had it had been in existence his previous 3 years he would probably have played way more. And at over 43%, he could have easily helped the team to do better.

Last edited:
Reading your reply my immediats thought was that Monroe only played in 1 year with the 3 pt shot. I was right. The first year of th 3 pt shot was his senior year. He more than doubled his avg and total points. He was made for the arc! If it had it had been in existence his previous 3 years he would probably have played way more. And at over 43%, he could have easily helped the team to do better.
Always thought the Orange could have looked to him a little more in the '87 title game.
One of the most overlooked SG in our collective memories.
He owned that corner.

The best Greg Monroe moment was that OT game with St. John's when several SU starters fouled out.
In the pre-shot clock era Boeheim had the Orange hold the ball for about the last two and a half minutes...then went to Monroe in the corner and he drilled the game winner.

Always thought the Orange could have looked to him a little more in the '87 title game.
One of the most overlooked SG in our collective memories.
He owned that corner.

The best Greg Monroe moment was that OT game with St. John's when several SU starters fouled out.
In the pre-shot clock era Boeheim had the Orange hold the ball for about the last two and a half minutes...then went to Monroe in the corner and he drilled the game winner.
And as a freshman to, IIRC.

Group A - #1 Matt Roe, #2 Greg Monroe, #3 Jason Cipolla, #4 Dave Johnson, #5 Marius Janulis

Group B - #1 Wes Johnson, #2 Andrew White, #3 Buddy Boeheim, #4 Malachai Richardson, #5 Tyler Lydon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom