Logistics Of Portal Recruiting? | Syracusefan.com

Logistics Of Portal Recruiting?

Symphony Steve

All American
Here's what I'd like to know: It's clear that SU needs to effectively go after players who enter the portal and could address weaknesses on our roster. Probably lots of players.

Today alone, there were several dozen players who hit the portal, with more being added every hour.

While I understand that SU doesn't have anything like an NFL draft-day war-room, how do they go about (a) finding out quickly who has hit the portal; (b) identifying players who might suit our purposes; and (c) reaching out to them? Especially with a coaching staff in flux?

Are there grad students color-coding stuff?

I'm serious. If this is essential for our success, then what are we doing to give us every little advantage?

I've been thinking about this as well. NFL teams have a Director of College Scouting for the draft, with various scouts reporting in and a Director of Pro Personnel for trades and free agency. Feels like we need something like this. A Director of High School Scouting for regular recruiting and a Director of College Scouting for the portal.

Recruiting is recruiting. There is a plethora of kids entering the portal, 95 more FCS kids just today. Most of these kids are going to take their time, take OVs and then commit. They aren't going to be signing early. SU not making a bowl may turn out to be an advantage in having more time and coaches available to recruit the portal.

Recruiting is recruiting. There is a plethora of kids entering the portal, 95 more FCS kids just today. Most of these kids are going to take their time, take OVs and then commit. They aren't going to be signing early. SU not making a bowl may turn out to be an advantage in having more time and coaches available to recruit the portal.
I get that. But, how are the staff/grad assistants, et al, sifting through all the new portal entrants, identifying those who had some SU interest, and/or, especially in the case of defensive performers, identifying system fits?

This is a new phenomenon. Last year, schools like Michigan State made great strides in how they filled needs through the portal. I'm thinking, perhaps incorrectly, that they had a plan, and that they implemented it. We have a lot of staff uncertainty, so I'm wondering if we're capable of taking full advantage of the opportunity and, if so, how?

I get that. But, how are the staff/grad assistants, et al, sifting through all the new portal entrants, identifying those who had some SU interest, and/or, especially in the case of defensive performers, identifying system fits?

This is a new phenomenon. Last year, schools like Michigan State made great strides in how they filled needs through the portal. I'm thinking, perhaps incorrectly, that they had a plan, and that they implemented it. We have a lot of staff uncertainty, so I'm wondering if we're capable of taking full advantage of the opportunity and, if so, how?

"What is the NCAA transfer portal? In technical terms, the portal is a website that acts as a centralized database for players who are interested in transferring. The website is not public; coaches and administrators for NCAA schools have access. Once a player enters his name into the portal it becomes viewable by coaches from every other school."

How does recruitment work for players in the portal?

Once a player enters the portal, his transfer profile can be viewed by coaches from every school. Schools are then allowed to contact the player in order to gauge interest and set up visits. But if a player has an idea of where he wants to go and wishes to narrow his options he can place a “Do not contact” designation on his profile, which bars schools from contacting him first. The player can then reach out to schools of his choosing.

Coaches and recruiting staffs know the needs of the team and what type of player they are going to contact, athletically and academically.

Today's (Tuesday, Nov. 30) portal features the following who had previously gotten SU offers. I'll update as the day goes along:

Last edited:
All I want for Christmas from the Portal is two big bodied WR's, 2 2 deep quality OL, and 2-3 starting caliber DL. :)

There are a lot of players entering the transfer portal right now. I believe they have until May 1st to be immediately eligible for this fall. I know the staff has missed on some players but it looks like there will still be a large number of good players in the portal to go after prior to the start of camp.

There are a lot of players entering the transfer portal right now. I believe they have until May 1st to be immediately eligible for this fall. I know the staff has missed on some players but it looks like there will still be a large number of good players in the portal to go after prior to the start of camp.
I assume this also means we will have some clarity on who might be leaving the team for greener pastures soon?

Yes. Players who are transferring have to be in the portal by May 1st if they don't want to have to sit out next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom