Long term rentals- Caribbean | Syracusefan.com

Long term rentals- Caribbean

CuseTroop

Vegas Mole Person
You've all heard me complain about the record breaking Alaska winter last year. Was banking on this summer being a solid one, but it decided to rain for most of it. Toss in not being able to travel and cusetroop and ladytroop is going nuts.

I was thinking about trying to rent a place in the Caribbean for the month of October or November. Seems like you can get places for cheaper than most hotels. I was looking at a 2 bedroom condo for $1,800/month. Was thinking I'd work remote 3 days a week or something, and just relax the rest of the time. I'd be down with a hut on the beach as long as it has running water, or the condo/house route. We might invite a few friends to join, so we might have to go a little bigger than the hut.

Anyone have any experience with this? What would be your favorite island to spend a month on?

Very interested to see the replies on this one. You’re bumping onto the tail end of hurricane season so that should be included in your decision. I’m assuming curaçao is out. Virgin Islands might be a good option. You could bump around to the other 2 islands from wherever you land, as well as BVI

I think she'd be down to go back to Curacao, we really enjoyed it.
From early talks, it sounds like the only place that's 100% out is the Bahamas. She wasn't a fan when we did the B4A, and when we do next year's B4A, sounds like we'll do 4 days in the Bahamas, and then hop to another island for the rest of the trip.

Good call on the hurricane season. Not sure I want to push this past December or January. I'll be in "no travel mode" from Feb to prolly early summer.

From early talks, it sounds like the only place that's 100% out is the Bahamas. She wasn't a fan when we did the B4A, and when we do next year's B4A, sounds like we'll do 4 days in the Bahamas, and then hop to another island for the rest of the trip.

Good call on the hurricane season. Not sure I want to push this past December or January. I'll be in "no travel mode" from Feb to prolly early summer.
I would 2nd the VIs. They are really beautiful. Really love Cabo and can rent a house or condo that's easily walkable to the marina and the beach in that price range.. Places I don't like much at all are Aruba and the Bahamas. Cabo is really easy because you can hit up Wal-Mart or Costco for supplies which makes things pretty easy. Uber can take you anywhere for 2 bucks. Obviously not the Caribbean but similar and pretty easy on Alaska Airlines.

I really liked curaçao and really want to check out Bonaire. Aruba doesn’t seem like our speed, but the three islands make a nice grouping as an option. Don’t know what the virus is doing there though

British Virgin Islands may be an option? Less developed than US VI and should be cheaper, though harder to get to.

I have no super interesting reasons other than it would definitely be St. John. A very good friend is a bartender there. That could save some $, and he'd give good advice and has other hookups, he's been down there for a few years now. Let me know if that's where you go Troop and you'll be plugged in.
I know AlpharettaCuse just got back, he might have some ideas.

What about Costa Rica? Lots of reasonably priced living options and possibly less chance for tropical storms. The way 2020 has gone, I would be pretty wary of the weather. Besides that, smart move.

You've all heard me complain about the record breaking Alaska winter last year. Was banking on this summer being a solid one, but it decided to rain for most of it. Toss in not being able to travel and cusetroop and ladytroop is going nuts.

I was thinking about trying to rent a place in the Caribbean for the month of October or November. Seems like you can get places for cheaper than most hotels. I was looking at a 2 bedroom condo for $1,800/month. Was thinking I'd work remote 3 days a week or something, and just relax the rest of the time. I'd be down with a hut on the beach as long as it has running water, or the condo/house route. We might invite a few friends to join, so we might have to go a little bigger than the hut.

Anyone have any experience with this? What would be your favorite island to spend a month on?
Last day of the Alaska Airlines bogo sale. Anchorage to Cabo for $661 for 2 with dates of 10/1 - 10/31. That's not too shabby.

Pair that flight with this place at $1500/month and you're in business.

Last edited:
Maaan life changes quickly sometimes, which is tough for a dude who hates change or new things.

Step daughter (StepTroop2) is starting nursing school in Vegas this month
StepTroop2 found out she's pregnant (I'm gonna be a grandpa!)
1st plan was for StepTroop2 to stay in school here, have baby while finishing up bio degree, then hit nursing school.
LadyTroop started to worry that it took her 10 years to go back to college after having StepTroop2.
New Plan
Viva Las Vegas?
StepToop2 is headed to Vegas for nursing school
LadyTroop accepted a job at UNLV on Monday. I think she's outa here in a month or so.
I'll prolly hang here in Alaska until the temps drop (ideally I'd hang until Novermberish). Get the house ready to sell, all that jazz. Work remote from Vegas (or Cabo?!) for a few months and head back here in the Spring. Spend the summer living in my camper, enjoying what might be my last full summer in Alaska.

Or, hang here until the baby is due, be in Vegas for the first few months of GbabyTroop, then back here for summer. Ugh idk.

Plan to keep my current gig as long as possible. I dig this program and would like to see it through. Keeping my eyes open down there, if something is too good to pass up, I'll have to jump on it.

Struggling with this one a bit. Leaving Alaska was not on the list for at least another 3 years. If I did leave Alaska, Vegas was kinda low on the places I'd wanna move to. Trying to keep LadyTroop from GbabyTroop didn't seem like a smart idea so I'll roll with it. Holy slit, I'm not ready to grow up yet lol

Maaan life changes quickly sometimes, which is tough for a dude who hates change or new things.

1st plan was for StepTroop2 to stay in school here, have baby while finishing up bio degree, then hit nursing school.
LadyTroop started to worry that it took her 10 years to go back to college after having StepTroop2.
New Plan
Viva Las Vegas?
LadyTroop accepted a job at UNLV on Monday. I think she's outa here in a month or so.
I'll prolly hang here in Alaska until the temps drop (ideally I'd hang until Novermberish). Get the house ready to sell, all that jazz. Work remote from Vegas (or Cabo?!) for a few months and head back here in the Spring. Spend the summer living in my camper, enjoying what might be my last full summer in Alaska.

Or, hang here until the baby is due, be in Vegas for the first few months of GbabyTroop, then back here for summer. Ugh idk.

Plan to keep my current gig as long as possible. I dig this program and would like to see it through. Keeping my eyes open down there, if something is too good to pass up, I'll have to jump on it.

Struggling with this one a bit. Leaving Alaska was not on the list for at least another 3 years. If I did leave Alaska, Vegas was kinda low on the places I'd wanna move to. Trying to keep LadyTroop from GbabyTroop didn't seem like a smart idea so I'll roll with it. Holy slit, I'm not ready to grow up yet lol
Life comes at you pretty quick.

Maybe you can get some good advice from two3zone about Vegas. Otherwise, please make sure to get a place large enough for some of your good friends to crash...

New Plan
Viva Las Vegas?

You know how many board members you’d have to accommodate if you lived in Vegas? Bad news. You’d definitely be seeing me at least one a year. Sucker.

You know how many board members you’d have to accommodate if you lived in Vegas? Bad news. You’d definitely be seeing me at least one a year. Sucker.
He's going to need a bunk bed room like they have in ski houses...

New Plan
Viva Las Vegas?

Things work out. They always do. Hang in, bud.

Life comes at you pretty quick.

Maybe you can get some good advice from two3zone about Vegas. Otherwise, please make sure to get a place large enough for some of your good friends to crash...

Yeaa I was gonna hit him up for some good bar recommendations. Gotta figure out where we want to settle down. LadyTroop's parents retired to Henderson, not sure if that's the area we'll look at buying in or not.
Don't worry, we'll have a tent for ya

Suppose I could deal with that.

Things work out. They always do. Hang in, bud.

Yea, I'm sure they will. I haven't spent much time in the area, so it's tough to get excited about. I'm usually the type that can be happy anywhere. Just need to find a cool bar with a few nice folks and I'll be all set

Yea, I'm sure they will. I haven't spent much time in the area, so it's tough to get excited about. I'm usually the type that can be happy anywhere. Just need to find a cool bar with a few nice folks and I'll be all set
Well, you certainly would be going from one temperature extreme to another. On average, you're in San Diego! :D

Man. And I wanted to go visit in Alaska! J/K, good luck to everyone!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom