Looking at next year : Rakeem Christmas | Syracusefan.com

Looking at next year : Rakeem Christmas

Orangezoo

In the wind
** Disclaimer ** - This post is not about Nerlens Noel

My question to all is how good can Rak be and can he accelerate his game in the same way Fab was able to do? Fab's development was conditioning, Rak needs to get a bit stronger and improve positioning in the zone as a 4 and as a 5.

If we don't get a certain recruit I think Rak becomes the focal point. DC2 is going to be a rebounding force and an option getting points in the paint. The question will be how much of a defensive force can Rakeem turn into? I can certainly see him progressing in the way Etan Thomas progressed if he can add some more muscle. If Rak can become a force blocking shots in the middle and can use his athleticism to catch the ball and finish quickly we can still be an elite team IMO. We saw glimpses of where he caught the ball, turned on his man and attempted to quickly throw it down. That is a different dimension than we had with Fab. On the flip side he is not that strong right now on defense and gets pushed around. BMK will again be a very important backup at the 5 with loads of energy and hustle and an important player to have. If BMK adds a little weight that would be superb.. I just don't see it happening.

So how good can Rak be.. can he get to an Etan Thomas level or higher? He has nice form on his jumper.. and is explosive off the floor. I also wanted to toss this out there while everyone chews down their nails to the bone waiting for Wednesday.

I'm not sure Etan is the right comparison. I'm not sure who is, but probably not Etan. Etan was a bull with very, very limited offensive skill. Rak doesn't have great offensive skill, but watching him shoot you can tell he's much, MUCH smoother than Etan was, but he's also nowhere near as strong.

He does have a lot of upside, though, because he's soooo athletic. If he can add 15 pounds of muscle, maybe 20, he could be a beast, particularly on the glass.

Regardless, Rak and DC2 will be one of the top front courts in the nation, IMO

Assuming NN does not come I think he starts at the 4 (like Rick Jackson his junior year) and DC starts at the 5. That will limit his defensive value because I don't think he will get the defensive (blocks) opportunities that he would in the lane. That being said I think the good line for him to follow would be Conrad McRae. Skinny, long and lanky with limited offensive abilities. If he can improve enough to get 8-10 points on offensive rebounds and dunks and 6-8 rebounds with a couple blocks I think that is great improvement. I think Coleman will be in that same range and that if the two of them can clean the glass that will allow alot of leak outs like we had in the first part of the year.

I'm not sure Etan is the right comparison. I'm not sure who is, but probably not Etan. Etan was a bull with very, very limited offensive skill. Rak doesn't have great offensive skill, but watching him shoot you can tell he's much, MUCH smoother than Etan was, but he's also nowhere near as strong.

He does have a lot of upside, though, because he's soooo athletic. If he can add 15 pounds of muscle, maybe 20, he could be a beast, particularly on the glass.

I agree Jekelish and I didn't really like using the Etan Comparison.. from a standpoint of being on a developmental curve that takes 3-4 years was my only real reason to use Etan. I am having trouble comparing him to anyone at this point.. but I think if he adds strength his ceiling is pretty high. He is a different player than most of the bigs that come to mind.. he is unlike Rick, AO, Fab, Etan, T-rob,Watkins etc. The CM comparison.. I somewhat see but I think Rak has a higher upside and the tools to be a better offensive player than CM. I would take 8/8/2.5 from Rak all day though considering we have DC2 and Baye. I still question how well he can handle playing on the wing... and being able to get out to the shooter and be effective on the weakside. I think next year we will not be as effective pushing the wings up to help the guards and they will need to be better guarding the baseline to ensure they are not caught out of position.

Etan had kind of a special trajectory, because he became legit fast. Given the rest of the talent on the roster I don't see Rak making the type of statistical jump Etan made between his freshman and sophomore seasons, but I do think he'll look like a different player next season in terms of comfort on the court and how well he understands his role, and hopefully that will translate to more rebounding and scoring. If he provides more there I think he'll see a big jump in minutes, but I'd be surprised if he averages more than 20 minutes a game or so as a forward, since Southerland and Fair will need their time too.

I think Rak showed serious improvement during the end of the year much of which I feel was based of building of confidence and playing time. I expect him to get stronger and more offensively efficient over the summer in the low post and around the rim. Thats why im not overly worried about NN. How much better is/would NN be than an improved bigger stronger Rak as a So. ? Would LOVE to have NN who would most definately help out on the bottom of that zone but it is not the end of the world by any stretch especially when you factor in player development, team chemistry and experience(via more min/PT in the front court for our current players & recruits)

** Disclaimer ** - This post is not about Nerlens Noel

My question to all is how good can Rak be and can he accelerate his game in the same way Fab was able to do? Fab's development was conditioning, Rak needs to get a bit stronger and improve positioning in the zone as a 4 and as a 5.

If we don't get a certain recruit I think Rak becomes the focal point. DC2 is going to be a rebounding force and an option getting points in the paint. The question will be how much of a defensive force can Rakeem turn into? I can certainly see him progressing in the way Etan Thomas progressed if he can add some more muscle. If Rak can become a force blocking shots in the middle and can use his athleticism to catch the ball and finish quickly we can still be an elite team IMO. We saw glimpses of where he caught the ball, turned on his man and attempted to quickly throw it down. That is a different dimension than we had with Fab. On the flip side he is not that strong right now on defense and gets pushed around. BMK will again be a very important backup at the 5 with loads of energy and hustle and an important player to have. If BMK adds a little weight that would be superb.. I just don't see it happening.

So how good can Rak be.. can he get to an Etan Thomas level or higher? He has nice form on his jumper.. and is explosive off the floor. I also wanted to toss this out there while everyone chews down their nails to the bone waiting for Wednesday.

To me, Rak is a Terrence Roberts kind of player. He's not big enough to be an NBA center, but he could turn into a Kenyon Martin type of PF - that's his ceiling, IMO. But he needs to improve his motor. I think he has the footwork to score in the low post, which Roberts never really developed.

We don't want him working on a jump shot yet, but that is in his future. If he is going to be a pro, it will be at the 4, not at center, although he was clearly more comfortable out there at center after Fab was gone.

Next year, what we are looking for from him is a solid defensive presence and hard work on the defensive boards. Between Rak and Coleman and Fair, I think we may have a better rebounding team next year, even though we are relying on younger players, regardless of whether we land Noel or not.

I really would like to see him to take a big step forward on the defensive end. Rebounding and blocking more shots and just becoming a bigger presence in the paint. I think offense will slowly come to him but we dont really need him to average 12 ppg. I would love to see him average 8 rpg and 2.5 bpg next season.

I think he could be a Warrick type player

DC1 is the person I'd compare his body and potential skill set to. Needs to get his strength and conditioning to the highest level first. Then get real active and good things will happen.

To me, Rak is a Terrence Roberts kind of player. He's not big enough to be an NBA center, but he could turn into a Kenyon Martin type of PF - that's his ceiling, IMO. But he needs to improve his motor. I think he has the footwork to score in the low post, which Roberts never really developed.

We don't want him working on a jump shot yet, but that is in his future. If he is going to be a pro, it will be at the 4, not at center, although he was clearly more comfortable out there at center after Fab was gone.

Next year, what we are looking for from him is a solid defensive presence and hard work on the defensive boards. Between Rak and Coleman and Fair, I think we may have a better rebounding team next year, even though we are relying on younger players, regardless of whether we land Noel or not.

Yes, best comparison on here. Rakeem should be Roberts with an offensive touch and better footwork.

I think in terms of build and athleticism T-rob compares.. I just don't see it in their games. T-rob really liked the mid-range jumper even though he wasn't all that effective with it. Additionally as you mentioned Matt - T-Rob never developed the footwork and Rak has early signs of that. Rak looks comfortable working with his back to the basket on the baseline and right in front of the hoop. He also plays with a more measured approach as opposed to T-Rob the spaz. In terms of what he can be - I think he can be an Al Horford type of guy. Ferocious rebounder with a touch on the jump shot that continues to develop and also with the ability to get the ball make a move and throw it down. K-Mart was a freak athletically and I don't see Rak having the same kind of motor. Horford seems to have more of that same quietly go about your business approach. At this point its just opinion and throwing out a guess but after some thought that would be the type of player I think he could be.

As for T-Rob.. if he had ever been able to mesh bball IQ with his hustle and athleticism.. he could have been a poor mans NOAH.. instead he was .. well yeah.. working hard at dominating for the LA defenders.

I think he could definitely develop some low post game. That stuff is very much
'want to' and repetition repetition repetition. A drop step and a baby hook going with both hands would be a good start. I also think that if he does, that could be a nice complement to DC2 seeing as he seems to have highpost/midrange type skills. Rak needs to get more comfortable playing the zone from the 4. If he does that, I think he could be great blocking shots from the weak side. I'd love to see DC2 play solid position defense with Christmas rotating over to block shots. As others have said, he needs to add quality weight and get stronger, but I fully expect that to happen.

T-Rob had the knees of a 50 year old

Not until his senior year. He was a solid 10 pts / 8 rebounds guy for us. He and Mookie Watkins formed one of our better defending teams, along with Nichols on the front line.

I agree about the comments that Roberts liked his jumper a little too much, and never really developed his footwork. I'll add that he also liked to leak out for the fast break a little too much for being our power forward and best rebounder.

If Rak can develop Terrence's hustle, though, he will greatly improve his game. He is already more fundamentally sound on the offensive end in the low post. Needs to learn how to body players in the lane better, but Rak is going to be pretty good for us next year, if he can get comfortable in the corner of the zone.

Regardless, Rak and DC2 will be one of the top front courts in the nation, IMO
I was extremely happy when DC2 chose SU at his press conference, as I was when Rak chose SU over Georgetown. Those two were elite prospects, as were several other players on the team. The more the merrier, but we have good players. We'll be very talented and relatively deep with or without he that shall not be named.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom