Looking at the depth chart and the Hale analysis | Syracusefan.com

Looking at the depth chart and the Hale analysis

GoSU96

Living Legend
This team is going to need to average 48pts and 500 yds to get to a winning season this year. Only hope is to be insanely efficient on offense and scoring on almost every possession and hoping for a couple of stops/turnovers a game.

Arena ball or bust.

I don't know if it'll be that bad if the DLine can be a strength. They'll be tough inside and hoping the DEnds take it up a notch and get after the QB we might only need to score 38-42ppg.

It should be fun though. I want 62-58 scores like the Big12.

With no real WR threats I have a hard time seeing 40+ ppg. We really need to be able to run the ball this year. If we can't we're dead.

We have a lot of talent and size at DB and a lot of experience at DL. This team needs linebackers to step up. Linebacker is the only position im worried about.

We have a lot of talent and size at DB and a lot of experience at DL. This team needs linebackers to step up. Linebacker is the only position im worried about.

For me it's LB and WR. Although, with WR, I feel that between scheme and unproven talent, they'll do ok.

For me it's LB and WR. Although, with WR, I feel that between scheme and unproven talent, they'll do ok.
Strickland needs to utilize our strengthened line to open up the run game which will allow our youth atWR more chances for easy receptions

The LB situation is downright scary. I know its a pre-season depth chart that will change dramatically by September but if either of those guys are starting we are in major trouble. I do like Whitner playing LB in obvious passing downs/situations but good lord he will get killed against BC and Pitt.

This team is going to need to average 48pts and 500 yds to get to a winning season this year. Only hope is to be insanely efficient on offense and scoring on almost every possession and hoping for a couple of stops/turnovers a game.

Arena ball or bust.
Might be a little over the top there. I think a reasonable goal would be improving by a field goal in both directions. 3 more average points on Offense (27.4 to 30.4). 3 less average points on defense (32.2 to 29.2). Without a doubt the questions at WR, and the youth and lack of proven production in the back 7 on defense is provoking a ton of anxiety. I know one thing though, the play in the trenches is almost certain to improve (and could be significantly better), and I think that alone can go a long way. Certainly 3 points each way.

Strickland needs to utilize our strengthened line to open up the run game which will allow our youth atWR more chances for easy receptions

He played better in his last few games. If he can up his per average carry to even the low to mid 4s, it would make a huge difference.

I think we'll be fine. None of these LBs were drafted so they weren't THAT good. Someone will step up and fill the void. Where i'm optimistic is the D line seems to have NFL talent. If those guys can get push everything else will look better.

I think we'll be fine. None of these LBs were drafted so they weren't THAT good. Someone will step up and fill the void. Where i'm optimistic is the D line seems to have NFL talent. If those guys can get push everything else will look better.

Franklin was drafted by the Colts and Bennett signed a free agent contract with the Packers.

Franklin was drafted by the Colts and Bennett signed a free agent contract with the Packers.
Yes, those are losses, but nearly every team in the ACC lost more to the NFL draft than one player and lost more to graduation generally than we did. We worry about 2 spots on D (the two listed LBs, with Cordy as the nickel) and 2 spots on O (one inside receiver, one outside receiver). Can dwell on that, or also weigh the units that are definitely stronger -- and the sum of the parts is better than we have had since 2012. I believe Guthrie (an all-American in jucos) will be better than expected, and Dino has options for the other LB spot.

It might be a sign of how down our fanbase is -- all we can see is the 4 question marks, not acknowledging that every college team has that many or more.

Yes, those are losses, but nearly every team in the ACC lost more to the NFL draft than one player and lost more to graduation generally than we did. We worry about 2 spots on D (the two listed LBs, with Cordy as the nickel) and 2 spots on O (one inside receiver, one outside receiver). Can dwell on that, or also weigh the units that are definitely stronger -- and the sum of the parts is better than we have had since 2012. I believe Guthrie (an all-American in jucos) will be better than expected, and Dino has options for the other LB spot.

It might be a sign of how down our fanbase is -- all we can see is the 4 question marks, not acknowledging that every college team has that many or more.
NC State led all ACC schools with seven selections, a school record for the draft for the Wolfpack, topping a total of six draftees in 2006. Florida State and Miami each had six draftees, with Virginia Tech having a total of five. Louisville had four players chosen, followed by Boston College, Clemson, North Carolina and Pitt with three each, Virginia and Wake Forest with two apiece and Syracuse with one player drafted.

NC State led all ACC schools with seven selections, a school record for the draft for the Wolfpack, topping a total of six draftees in 2006. Florida State and Miami each had six draftees, with Virginia Tech having a total of five. Louisville had four players chosen, followed by Boston College, Clemson, North Carolina and Pitt with three each, Virginia and Wake Forest with two apiece and Syracuse with one player drafted.

Idk if this is what she means by this, but all fan bases overrate their players. These were very solid players, but they were not irreplaceable players. Syracuse did not lose much that can’t be replaced. As this stat shows, only 1 drafted player. We have a lot of growing to go and a lot of talent that can grow!!

Good point but if NCS actually reloaded with talent right behind those guys that were drafted we have a problem here in Upstate NY because they own SU in football. SU needs to beat them at the Dome this year.

The LB situation is downright scary. I know its a pre-season depth chart that will change dramatically by September but if either of those guys are starting we are in major trouble. I do like Whitner playing LB in obvious passing downs/situations but good lord he will get killed against BC and Pitt.

I think Cordy is going to play more of a SHAMARKO! type-role and be expected to focus more on stopping the run and playing "spy" to the QB and/or RB on passing downs. Also allows flexibility for a Whitner or a Trotter to drop back into converage. Thinking same/simiiliar role might be carved out for Foster who checks in at 220+ lbs.

Its probably my orange-tinted glasses; I don't see the LB, and by extension, back 7 as a HUGE issue. Issue? Yes. Let's remember that staying healthy is probably most important and we have been trotting out guys who have transferred to low FBS and FCS schools at the end of the last couple of seasons when depth was more of an issue.

Between Guthrie and Armstrong and Trotter and Fagen and Richards and getting something out of one of the frosh (Wallace, Allison), me thinks we're not in as bad shape as some on here.

Any position changes in store?

the concern i have with NC State is not their talent. They have always gotten talent, their coaching has never been any good. Similar to Clemson before Dabo really on a lower level.

Coaching still reigns.

the concern i have with NC State is not their talent. They have always gotten talent, their coaching has never been any good. Similar to Clemson before Dabo really on a lower level.

Coaching still reigns.

I think this is a big misconception. NC St is a pretty good program, talent wise and coaching, their coach has done a pretty good job

I think Cordy is going to play more of a SHAMARKO! type-role and be expected to focus more on stopping the run and playing "spy" to the QB and/or RB on passing downs. Also allows flexibility for a Whitner or a Trotter to drop back into converage. Thinking same/simiiliar role might be carved out for Foster who checks in at 220+ lbs.

Its probably my orange-tinted glasses; I don't see the LB, and by extension, back 7 as a HUGE issue. Issue? Yes. Let's remember that staying healthy is probably most important and we have been trotting out guys who have transferred to low FBS and FCS schools at the end of the last couple of seasons when depth was more of an issue.

Between Guthrie and Armstrong and Trotter and Fagen and Richards and getting something out of one of the frosh (Wallace, Allison), me thinks we're not in as bad shape as some on here.

Any position changes in store?

Cordy could be a huge help but he has to actually stay on the field. Half the Dome crowd at the Clemson game spent more time on the field that day then Cordy has in two years. Not saying he can't or won't stay healthy but it might be asking a lot for him to come crashing down on run plays to take on Full Backs and RB's with his injury history. Still I think if we use him situationally he can have an enormous impact we just have to make sure were not asking to much of him and keeping him fresh by limiting his snaps.

I think the secondary itself will be better assuming relatively good health. Martin when he played safety last year before his injury was really a revelation. I am hopeful we can get some similar play from the the safety group this year as well despite Cisco's youth. A guy like Johnson as a grad transfer could really help this unit. Could play as a 3rd CB in a traditional Nickel or Dime Package, could possibly play that rover spot like Shamarko and really just push the two starters and give us some quality depth if one of the two starters goes down assuming he doesn't win a starting spot.

As for LB the biggest concern I have is that none of the "big" names have stepped up. Would have liked to have seen one of Armstrong Fagan, Trotter etc grab a starting spot. I like Whitner as a situational guy but its hard to see how he could be a starting 3 down LB at the D1 level against the kind of schedule Syracuse plays. I am sure things will shake out a bit once camp opens but LB is an enormous concern for me right now with WR not far behind.

...the biggest concern I have is that none of the "big" names have stepped up. Would have liked to have seen one of Armstrong Fagan, Trotter etc grab a starting spot...I am sure things will shake out a bit once camp opens but LB is an enormous concern for me right now with WR not far behind.
It's being lost in the shuffle that the talent on the roster now is still very young. With the exception of Armstrong they're all RFr or Sophs (Fagan, N Johnson). Realistically we shouldn't expect these guys to be major contributors until their RJr year.

It's being lost in the shuffle that the talent on the roster now is still very young. With the exception of Armstrong they're all RFr or Sophs (Fagan, N Johnson). Realistically we shouldn't expect these guys to be major contributors until their RJr year.

Agreed. The LB unit is still young and raw

Fagan is 213 lbs - true soph who played specials last year
Trotter checks in at 206lbs and redshirted last year

These guys are just too small right now.

Armstrong is the backup MIKE - junior

Here's your LB Roster

Ryan Guthrie 6-2 - 224 SR. Cumming, Ga. / West Forsyth
Kielan Whitner 6-0 - 215 SR. Lawrenceville, Ga. / Mountain View

Andrew Armstrong 6-2 - 228 JR. Youngstown, Ohio / Cardinal Mooney
Shyheim Cullen 6-0 - 224 R-JR. Lowell, Mass. / Lowell
Lakiem Williams 6-0 - 234 JR. Tacoma, Wash. / Spanaway Lake

Tim Walton 6-2 - 232 R-SO. Detroit, Mich. / Cass Technical
Nadarius Fagan 6-1 - 213 SO. Goulds, Fla. / Miami Southridge

Kadeem Trotter 6-2 - 206 R-FR. Canton, Ohio / McKinley
Tyrell Richards 6-4 - 227 R-FR. Brampton, Ontario, Canada / Clarkson Secondary School

Tre Allison 6-2 - 230 FR. Tyler, Texas / John Tyler
Juan Wallace 6-2 - 215 FR. Washington, D.C. / IMG Academy (Fla.)

Agreed. The LB unit is still young and raw

Fagan is 213 lbs - true soph who played specials last year
Trotter checks in at 206lbs and redshirted last year

These guys are just too small right now.

Armstrong is the backup MIKE - junior

Here's your LB Roster

Ryan Guthrie 6-2 - 224 SR. Cumming, Ga. / West Forsyth
Kielan Whitner 6-0 - 215 SR. Lawrenceville, Ga. / Mountain View

Andrew Armstrong 6-2 - 228 JR. Youngstown, Ohio / Cardinal Mooney
Shyheim Cullen 6-0 - 224 R-JR. Lowell, Mass. / Lowell
Lakiem Williams 6-0 - 234 JR. Tacoma, Wash. / Spanaway Lake

Tim Walton 6-2 - 232 R-SO. Detroit, Mich. / Cass Technical
Nadarius Fagan 6-1 - 213 SO. Goulds, Fla. / Miami Southridge

Kadeem Trotter 6-2 - 206 R-FR. Canton, Ohio / McKinley
Tyrell Richards 6-4 - 227 R-FR. Brampton, Ontario, Canada / Clarkson Secondary School

Tre Allison 6-2 - 230 FR. Tyler, Texas / John Tyler
Juan Wallace 6-2 - 215 FR. Washington, D.C. / IMG Academy (Fla.)

Allison seems to have the size your looking for but tough to throw a True Frosh in there. 6'2 - 230 with room to go as a frosh is Clemson/FSU esque. Fagan at only 213, yikes. Wonder if Tim Walton could make a move for some PT, good measurables' but no idea what he looks like speed wise.

Allison seems to have the size your looking for but tough to throw a True Frosh in there. 6'2 - 230 with room to go as a frosh is Clemson/FSU esque. Fagan at only 213, yikes. Wonder if Tim Walton could make a move for some PT, good measurables' but no idea what he looks like speed wise.

Allison I wonder about his speed to, but I love him as a prospect.

Fagan just has to keep grinding, he might be one of those kids who's just lean and isn't going to get big - like Jonathan Thomas who left here 210.

Walton played some DE last year and I thought was moving but he's on the roster as a LB.

I think all in all people are jumping the gun on a base 4-2-5. We're going to play a ton of different defenses and looks based on what the other team is doing.

History tells us otherwise. Franklin worked into the LB rotation as a true frosh; Franklin and Bennett were starting LBs as true sophs, and Thomas also played early as a true soph. Shafer's wide receivers Ishmael & Phillips were contributors as true sophs. We aren't talking here about the OL. If the recruiting is going in the right direction, several more of Babers' recruits should be working into roles at skill positions, in the secondary, even LB. And I expect they will.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom