Looking for info on the origins of Robert DeNiro in the Syracuse tshirt | Syracusefan.com

Looking for info on the origins of Robert DeNiro in the Syracuse tshirt

KellySyracuse

Living Legend
Brent Axe is looking for the origin of this picture and if I recall Orangeyes remembered DeNiro from his younger days living on the North Side. Can anyone corraborate?

actually the quest is to find out the origins of the tshirt apparently. It looks to me it might be the Saltine Warrior but that's just a guess

De Niro’s father was a Syracuse native who lived on the north side.
He regularly visited Syracuse growing up. He was close to his paternal grandfather, who lived here most of his life. Orangeyes and some of his friends got to know Bobby from those visits.

21 Awesome Facts You Probably Didn't Know About Robert De Niro.

8/21. Although he is sometimes referred to as an Italian-American actor, De Niro is actually one quarter Italian in ancestry. His father was of half Italian and half Irish descent. His mother was of Dutch, English, Irish, French, and German ancestry on her own father's side, and of German ancestry on her own mother's side. Robert was quite close to his Italian paternal grandfather, whom he visited frequently in Syracuse, NY when he was young. De Niro has stated that he identifies "more with [his] Italian side". He was inducted into the Italian-American Hall of Fame in 2002.

He regularly visited Syracuse growing up. He was close to his paternal grandfather, who lived here most of his life. Orangeyes and some of his friends got to know Bobby from those visits.

21 Awesome Facts You Probably Didn't Know About Robert De Niro.

8/21. Although he is sometimes referred to as an Italian-American actor, De Niro is actually one quarter Italian in ancestry. His father was of half Italian and half Irish descent. His mother was of Dutch, English, Irish, French, and German ancestry on her own father's side, and of German ancestry on her own mother's side. Robert was quite close to his Italian paternal grandfather, whom he visited frequently in Syracuse, NY when he was young. De Niro has stated that he identifies "more with [his] Italian side". He was inducted into the Italian-American Hall of Fame in 2002.

hmmm... my great grandmother was the RO in Caroma. Timing wise, i bet there is a good chance that Rob De Niro and his family used to eat at the Caroma. That's pretty cool. i wonder if I could ever confirm.

Actually, it was Caroma

hmmm... my great grandmother was the RO in Caroma. Timing wise, i bet there is a good chance that Rob De Niro and his family used to eat at the Caroma. That's pretty cool. i wonder if I could ever confirm.

Actually, it was Caroma
I wish Dan was here to comment but I strongly believe Dan told me he would see Bobby every summer when he came up to visit with his grandparents. Bobby would join Dan and the rest of his friends, all about the same age, and play games with them. Their favorite was playing cowboys and Indians.

Dan grew up on Durston Ave, which is a mile or two from where the Caroma was (I believe it was on Lodi, near Hawley Ave.). His grandfather was Italian and it had to be one of the closest Italian restaurants in the areas.

Sounds very plausible to me.

-fd44c7eec45a6920.jpg

I wish Dan was here to comment but I strongly believe Dan told me he would see Bobby every summer when he came up to visit with his grandparents. Bobby would join Dan and the rest of his friends, all about the same age, and play games with them. Their favorite was playing cowboys and Indians.

Dan grew up on Durston Ave, which is a mile or two from where the Caroma was (I believe it was on Lodi, near Hawley Ave.). His grandfather was Italian and it had to be one of the closest Italian restaurants in the areas.

Sounds very plausible to me.

-fd44c7eec45a6920.jpg

Yep - thats exactly where it was. I wish I knew that about Dan - would have loved to talk to him about it. I really appreciate you sharing that story.

There are 2 things that I've always told my Grandfather needed to come to me in the will no questions asked - an old 1925 hand drawn Syracuse map about 4 feet by 3 feet and a nicely framed menu of the caroma. He sold his CPA firm about 2 years ago and gave me the Syracuse map as it was in his old office. But told me I'd have to wait for the menu. LOL. I'll gladly wait as long as possible on that 1.

Graphic screen-printed tees in 1950? Were those available and/or popular then?

Why doesn’t someone tweet the guy and ask him with the pic attached?

De Niro's grandparents lived 5 or 6 houses up from my father's house on Durston Ave. He used to tell me they spent a lot of time playing at Salem Hyde School. In addition to cowboys & Indians, they played sandlot baseball there. I remember that De Niro returned to Syracuse many years ago when one of his grandparents died.

De Niro's grandparents lived 5 or 6 houses up from my father's house on Durston Ave. He used to tell me they spent a lot of time playing at Salem Hyde School. In addition to cowboys & Indians, they played sandlot baseball there. I remember that De Niro returned to Syracuse many years ago when one of his grandparents died.
Dan told me that one of his biggest regrets involved that funeral.

The core group of Durston Ave kids stayed friends through adulthood. They went to the De Niro funeral. Bobby remembered them, was very appreciative that they came and they went out afterwards and had a great night discussing old times and having laughs. Something happened, I don't remember what (he might have just forgotten about it) that prevented Dan from attending so he missed out on it.

Bottom line is that De Niro is a good guy who remembered his friends when he was a nobody outsider kid visiting the neighborhood. He took time to hang out with them and make them feel special.

Graphic screen-printed tees in 1950? Were those available and/or popular then?
From Wikipedia: American entrepreneur, artist and inventor Michael Vasilantone started to use, develop, and sell a rotatable multicolour garment screen printing machine in 1960. Vasilantone later filed for patent[6] on his invention in 1967 granted number 3,427,964 on February 18, 1969.[6] The original machine was manufactured to print logos and team information on bowling garments but soon directed to the new fad of printing on T-shirts.

Dan told me that one of his biggest regrets involved that funeral.

The core group of Durston Ave kids stayed friends through adulthood. They went to the De Niro funeral. Bobby remembered them, was very appreciative that they came and they went out afterwards and had a great night discussing old times and having laughs. Something happened, I don't remember what (he might have just forgotten about it) that prevented Dan from attending so he missed out on it.

Bottom line is that De Niro is a good guy who remembered his friends when he was a nobody outsider kid visiting the neighborhood. He took time to hang out with them and make them feel special.

That's a really cool story. Love hear those stories about celebrities who remember the people who were there for them before they hit the big time.

From Wikipedia: American entrepreneur, artist and inventor Michael Vasilantone started to use, develop, and sell a rotatable multicolour garment screen printing machine in 1960. Vasilantone later filed for patent[6] on his invention in 1967 granted number 3,427,964 on February 18, 1969.[6] The original machine was manufactured to print logos and team information on bowling garments but soon directed to the new fad of printing on T-shirts.

Hmmm, so having a t-shirt like that in 1950 would be quite unusual. Are we sure thats a pic of DeNiro or just some kid who looks like DeNiro may have looked when he was a kid?

Hmmm, so having a t-shirt like that in 1950 would be quite unusual. Are we sure thats a pic of DeNiro or just some kid who looks like DeNiro may have looked when he was a kid?
Nothing about that picture says 1950 - the shirt, decor in the background, the hi res quality.

1950s Rocket Boy Graphic T-shirt
A kid’s t shirt from the 1950’s.

History of t shirts. According to this graphic t shirts began ‘later in the 1950’s’.

According to this article, it was DeNiro himself who publicized the picture which was used in his HBO documentary about his father. Robert De Niro shares regrets about his father, a Syracuse native and gay painter

If that is indeed the case, I stand corrected.

I certainly don’t know but read in 2 different articles that the picture was used for his HBO documentary. Maybe they currently can improve the quality for old pictures particularly if used in movie like productions?

I certainly don’t know but read in 2 different articles that the picture was used for his HBO documentary. Maybe they currently can improve the quality for old pictures particularly if used in movie like productions?

Yes this is done all the time. The process goes like this: A grainy picture is shown on a screen in a high tech looking lab. Then a person of some authority yells "ENHANCE!" and the picture transforms to 4K quality. Pretty simple process really.

Yes this is done all the time. The process goes like this: A grainy picture is shown on a screen in a high tech looking lab. Then a person of some authority yells "ENHANCE!" and the picture transforms to 4K quality. Pretty simple process really.

anything else they can enhance that easily?

Actually, it was Caroma
No lie...My family lived above the Caroma when I was born. Lived there about 6 months. The Deniro’s would come up and watch tv with us after they ate downstairs ( the last sentence is a lie )