Looks like BE BB schools likely to leave | Syracusefan.com

Looks like BE BB schools likely to leave

ESPN will cover them...UConn/Cincy might call the ACC for scheduling agreements for their FB teams. They might need to hang with the BB onlies for a few years.

This kind of makes me sad. UConn and Cincy should be allowed to stay with the catholic schools for all sports but football.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

That might work...the ACC could offer up scheduling agreements with both schools. They might be better to go Indy.

Agree with NKR, UConn should leave with the Catholic schools, and rejoin the "Big East" as a FB only member. That's all I got. Other options are Indy (but it's not 1980 anymore), or MAC for FB only if the BE says no.

They're really in a tough spot. All the time/money/effort upgrading football is turning out to be a big mistake.

Agree with NKR, UConn should leave with the Catholic schools, and rejoin the "Big East" as a FB only member. That's all I got. Other options are Indy (but it's not 1980 anymore), or MAC for FB only if the BE says no.

They're really in a tough spot. All the time/money/effort upgrading football is turning out to be a big mistake.

Pretty much.

Pretty frigging much.

Problem is, why would the bball schools welcome any schools with football programs, when those schools are actively petitioning to leave for greener pastures? Include them in basketball and then just re-negotiate another deal when they decide they don't want to play any more? I don't think you'll see FBS football programs included in the future plans of the bball schools for the sake of stability.

Problem is, why would the bball schools welcome any schools with football programs, when those schools are actively petitioning to leave for greener pastures? Include them in basketball and then just re-negotiate another deal when they decide they don't want to play any more? I don't think you'll see FBS football programs included in the future plans of the bball schools for the sake of stability.

Aw, cute! The schools who do and bring nothing are acting all tough! Adorable!

Go count some more of the NCAA credits UConn and Syracuse earned your freeloading a**es.

Uconn and Cincy are getting shafted. I almost feel bad... almost...

Thank goodness Utah and Washington State and Purdue and Vanderbilt and Iowa State have a secure place at the table. They've done a lot to earn it.

wasn't it the basketball schools that really killed an eastern conference to begin... denying ped state entry to the league?

Ultimately, looking back on this, the hybrid scenario was doomed from the start. There was NO WAY this was going to work. Too many conflicts of interest. That whole quote about "Take care of Providence College" sums it up perfectly.

RIP the BE Conference. BE Tournament at MSG this year is going to be Legen...Dery

Ultimately, looking back on this, the hybrid scenario was doomed from the start. There was NO WAY this was going to work. Too many conflicts of interest. That whole quote about "Take care of Providence College" sums it up perfectly.

RIP the BE Conference. BE Tournament at MSG this year is going to be Legen...Dery

my_tombstone.jpg

This is sad.

Putting all the backroom stuff aside for a moment, on the field and on the court the Big East has been the home of some of the most amazing games in the history of college athletics.

It's an absolute travesty that the best eastern football and basketball schools couldn't create a mutually-beneficial, long-lasting conference.

Sad.

We can still save this thing! Get the band back together! Our rallying cry will be "Save NYC and Yankee fans from the overpriced content of the Big Ten Network"!

It's an absolute travesty that the best eastern football and basketball schools couldn't create a mutually-beneficial, long-lasting conference.

Sad.
You have obliquely stated the essence of the problem. The basketball schools could and did create such a conference.

The football schools never could, and that is totally separate from the Big East as a league. The "Eastern Indies" could never get themselves organized, even back to the late '50's-'60's, when they were competitive with anyone in the country.

And the hybrid model was doomed from the beginning. It's surprising that it lasted as long as it did.

Kinda jealous in a BBall scheduling sense. Would be nice to play home and away GTown, Nova, St Johns, Seton Hall, Providence, Marquette, and DePaul. That would be four to six road trips every year I could make. Instead I will be making zero in the ACC on a yearly basis.

Kinda jealous in a BBall scheduling sense. Would be nice to play home and away GTown, Nova, St Johns, Seton Hall, Providence, Marquette, and DePaul. That would be four to six road trips every year I could make. Instead I will be making zero in the ACC on a yearly basis.

Most of the schools have fallen off the map and once the BE implodes they are going to find out how hard it is to be a major bball power in a non BCS conference.

Depaul?

Their RPI is 175. Only two spots higher that Monmouth.

wasn't it the basketball schools that really killed an eastern conference to begin... denying ped state entry to the league?

No it was JoePa, who would include his precious football program back in the 70s, which gave birth to a basketball league, the Big East. If JoePa had been forward-thinking at all, he would have been all-in with PSU, and an eastern all-sports league would have been born instead of the BE. He killed the idea. Denying PSU entry in the basketball league only happened AFTER the BE had 10 years of success and momentum.

No it was JoePa, who would include his precious football program back in the 70s, which gave birth to a basketball league, the Big East. If JoePa had been forward-thinking at all, he would have been all-in with PSU, and an eastern all-sports league would have been born instead of the BE. He killed the idea. Denying PSU entry in the basketball league only happened AFTER the BE had 10 years of success and momentum.
umm...NO.

thanks for playing, try again later.

Oh Lord

Seems like these "basketball" schools finally woke up and decided to be proactive about their destiny rather than continue to simply react to outside decisions. They need stability for a variety of reasons (many financial) and rather than wait until there is no decision to be made, they might be able to morph into a stable basketball league before everyone totally forgets what BE basketball was about.