Looks like Ennis is going abroad | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Looks like Ennis is going abroad

overseas money is not huge like the nba, but it usually includes housing, food & car on top of the base salary (which are all provided by the team) and often the taxes are paid, as well. so even if you're "only" making $75k, it's all disposable income
Yup and now he might be able to give us another ball handler on Boeheims army for next year

Already out the Association smh.
Says the hater who won’t see near the amount of money during their entire lifetime, that Ennis has made in his 4 years in the association. And that’s before the amount made overseas.
It always amuses how much fans wanna dictate how other people live their lives, despite all evidence to the contrary. I’m sure TE isn’t losing any sleep over the opinions of message board haters. Let it go already. Sheesh :rolleyes:

Or we should celebrate getting kids who were barely even top 50 recruits(Ennis, Malachi) or not even top 50 (Lydon) drafted in the first round within a year or two.

We’re not talking the top 10 kids that all go to Duke or Kentucky here.

Sure.

But its not a lack of talent that results in the underwhelming NBA careers. There is no talent difference between our guys who have been drafted and all the guys to pass through UK bar an Anthony Davis.

They didn't enter the NBA as very good players because they left so early. Regardless if whether or not it was the correct call in terms of draft stock/money.

Most of our recent draft picks have been first rounders. The only guy sitting on a good multi year contract right now is Jerami who wasn't one of them.

Sure.

But its not a lack of talent that results in the underwhelming NBA careers. There is no talent difference between our guys who have been drafted and all the guys to pass through UK bar an Anthony Davis.

They didn't enter the NBA as very good players because they left so early. Regardless if whether or not it was the correct call in terms of draft stock/money.

Most of our recent draft picks have been first rounders. The only guy sitting on a good multi year contract right now is Jerami who wasn't one of them.
Oh puhleeze.
Today’s NBA doesn’t allow for the luxury of staying one more year to “get better”. Love it or hate it, but the bottom line as a player is to grab the brass ring while the getting is good. How many examples are there of guys who stayed an extra year and ended up ruining their draft positions? I’d love to see the names on peer programs not named UK, Duke, or UNC, and how many of their picks have stuck these last 5-10 years.
Perspective is a beautiful thing, and reigniting that age-old debate on whether players should stay or go is a fools errand.
Bottom line, if you have a chance to get drafted in the first round, you go...whether you’re “ready” or not. Period. JMHO

There is no talent difference between our guys who have been drafted and all the guys to pass through UK bar an Anthony Davis.

Based on where these guys are ranked coming out of high school and where they are drafted, this is not close to being true. UK has gotten far more can’t miss, top 10 recruit, lock to be a high NBA pick guys than Cuse. In fact, we’re not really getting any of those guys. Our guys that are going to the league have been coming into college far less heralded than a lot of the guys UK gets.

Sure.

I take it we're just leaving Waiters and Wes Johnson off the list, and forgetting about the guys still under the terms of their rookie deals?

I take it we're just leaving Waiters and Wes Johnson off the list, and forgetting about the guys still under the terms of their rookie deals?

I was referring to the guys on their rookie deals who have left since. McCullough, Malachi, Lydon all had to play in the summer league this summer which isn't a good thing. Dion and Wes were both drafted 4th overall. None of the guys who have logged a lot of minutes and actually done things in the league were 1 and dones (MCW, Jerami, Wes, Dion.) Just making a point.

People think Ennis stock had peaked but I think he'd have done pretty well as a Sophomore especially if he got good at shooting threes. He'd have been the best player on the team. Would Steph Curry have become an NBA MVP if he left Davidson after one season nowhere near strong enough to play at the next level?

Sure.

True I would for sure take Tyler Lydon over Karl Anthony Towns

I was referring to the guys on their rookie deals who have left since. McCullough, Malachi, Lydon all had to play in the summer league this summer which isn't a good thing. Dion and Wes were both drafted 4th overall. None of the guys who have logged a lot of minutes and actually done things in the league were 1 and dones (MCW, Jerami, Wes, Dion.) Just making a point.

People think Ennis stock had peaked but I think he'd have done pretty well as a Sophomore especially if he got good at shooting threes. He'd have been the best player on the team. Would Steph Curry have become an NBA MVP if he left Davidson after one season nowhere near strong enough to play at the next level?
I think we all are pretty comfortable acknowledging that McCullough knew for a long time the Nets wanted him, but that his long term NBA potential wasn't a sure thing to realize.

Malachi is still a young player, and he's with a new team. I'm sure they just wanted to see more of what they had.

Lydon is a 2nd year player. Almost every 2nd year player does summer league. There's no shame in that.

It comes down to people not catching on that the NBA's comfort with developing talent is increasing, and so is their ability to do so. Participation in the D league and summer league used to be a mark of shame, but now teams use those opportunities to scout and assess and help guys get better. It's crazy, I know!

Curry didn't have an opportunity to leave that early.

I think we all are pretty comfortable acknowledging that McCullough knew for a long time the Nets wanted him, but that his long term NBA potential wasn't a sure thing to realize.

Malachi is still a young player, and he's with a new team. I'm sure they just wanted to see more of what they had.

Lydon is a 2nd year player. Almost every 2nd year player does summer league. There's no shame in that.

It comes down to people not catching on that the NBA's comfort with developing talent is increasing, and so is their ability to do so. Participation in the D league and summer league used to be a mark of shame, but now teams use those opportunities to scout and assess and help guys get better. It's crazy, I know!

Curry didn't have an opportunity to leave that early.
The nba analysis on here is funny. Ennis move is purely about time and trying to show he can be effective with more minutes. He just wasn’t getting that in the NBA right now. I think he would’ve had a deal though but more as a 12th guy

The nba analysis on here is funny. Ennis move is purely about time and trying to show he can be effective with more minutes. He just wasn’t getting that in the NBA right now. I think he would’ve had a deal though but more as a 12th guy
I consider Ennis a casualty of LeBron going to the Lakers.

King James doesn't want a guy like Ennis if he doesn't have to have him.

He'd rather have somebody grizzled.

Yeah Lebron is picking his roster for sure

Fair enough. But the real question is would Steph Curry have left Davidson if he’d been guaranteed a 1st round pick? He was seen as a good player at Davidson but maybe not a 1st rounder, but the same thing happened as to what took place w/ our guys...he blew up during the tournament, improved his position, and left. If Davidson had gone out the 1st weekend, does Curry get drafted top 10? Now if a team saw enough after his 1st year to take a flyer on him, they’d of guessed right., and I’d wager he would’ve likely jumped as well. JMHO

College is great for players who have the dedication and foresight to develop in areas they are weak. Steph Curry came back each year in college focused on developing more aspects in his game to make him more than a shooter and valued more by the NBA. He came back his junior year committed to developing as a point guard not wanting the NBA to evaluate him as just a shooter. If a player is focused enough , determined to diversify their game, turn weaknesses into strengths then coming back is a good thing because it maximizes their NBA value. The more the NBA is willing to invest $ wise in your first contract , the better chance you can stick around to prove that worth. If a player lacks the motivation, believes that college becomes more of a distraction from their goals than an opportunity to improve, has no room for improvement believing that leaving maximizes their value over staying or needs money now regardless if fully ready - then leaving makes sense.

College is great for players who have the dedication and foresight to develop in areas they are weak. Steph Curry came back each year in college focused on developing more aspects in his game to make him more than a shooter and valued more by the NBA. He came back his junior year committed to developing as a point guard not wanting the NBA to evaluate him as just a shooter. If a player is focused enough , determined to diversify their game, turn weaknesses into strengths then coming back is a good thing because it maximizes their NBA value. The more the NBA is willing to invest $ wise in your first contract , the better chance you can stick around to prove that worth. If a player lacks the motivation, believes that college becomes more of a distraction from their goals than an opportunity to improve, has no room for improvement believing that leaving maximizes their value over staying or needs money now regardless if fully ready - then leaving makes sense.
He also had a tremendous advantage with the frank opinion of his father, a former NBAer (and pretty good one). Most of these kids get much less good advice than that.

He also had a tremendous advantage with the frank opinion of his father, a former NBAer (and pretty good one). Most of these kids get much less good advice than that.

True but many young kids don’t follow good advice either. It’s a matter of maturity, acceptance of delayed gratification, patience, work ethic and trust. We were all young once and impatience, making the best decisions based on the long road view is one of the most difficult things to accept and understand when young. Wanting it and wanting it NOW including craving independence is a common and well known trait of youth not just athletes. Some just have access to it earlier than most of us ever did.

Wanting it and wanting it NOW including craving independence is a common and well known trait of youth not just athletes.
i am of the opinion that is a positive trait when it comes to getting into the nba. the competition is fierce, and there are new, talented bodies entering the competitive stream every year. best to get your foot in the door as soon as possible. you are going to be competing with the 2019, 2020, 2021 classes soon enough. get your ass in there and try to make your mark before they do.

if he was a casualty wouldn't be have been picked up somewhere else?

if he was a casualty wouldn't be have been picked up somewhere else?
Not necessarily.

The NBA doesn't employee the best 500 basketball players in the world. It employs 500 basketball players among the best X basketball players in the world.

Especially towards the end of a roster, the fit matters a whole lot. Ennis on a young Lakers team fit great. Ennis on LeBron and, uh, other players (?) doesn't make as much sense.

That doesn't mean Ennis automatically slots in some place else. It also doesn't mean that he's not good enough to remain in the NBA. He's now among the ranks of guys that are good enough to be NBA players that aren't NBA players anymore.

All hindsight now, but if Ennis didn't improve considerably as a 3 point shooter in the multiple years since his one year at S.U. , how was he going to suddenly light it up in his second year? Also, he did have that clock-eating style, so all those 52 point team scores would partly mask any improvement by limiting opportunies. And he was a point; they generally don't lead the team in 3 point attempts (or shouldn't).

overseas money is not huge like the nba, but it usually includes housing, food & car on top of the base salary (which are all provided by the team) and often the taxes are paid, as well. so even if you're "only" making $75k, it's all disposable income
Rosie Bouie's team used to ship his team paid for Mercedes (white convertible, as I recall) home every off season.

Last edited:
For guys like Ennis it's tough. He got an incredible amount of exposure his 1 year with us despite the fact his game had multiple areas needing work. It certainly did him well for the draft but then you wonder if another year gets him additional development and a similar draft spot but maybe also more opportunity as a more polished draft pick and not just a guy scrounging for minutes. Hard to gauge for sure. I was surprised he went after one year purely for how much he leveled out at the end of the season as the offense became even more pedestrian than it already was. As amazing as it was having that start those games or at least many of them were agonizing to watch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom