Looks like we could Doug Marrone as the next Tennessee Titans HC | Syracusefan.com

Looks like we could Doug Marrone as the next Tennessee Titans HC

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...manning-and-bill-polian-possible-in-tennessee

Buried in this story about Peyton Manning and Bill Polian possibly going to the Titans Front Office is the fact Polian going to Buffalo last year would have kept Marrone around there.

If Polian/Manning go to Tennessee I think Marrone will be their HC. Saint Doug could be the HC of one of the next upcoming AFC teams.
tough to be up and coming when you have Peyton Manning as your qb. What to they do with MM?

tough to be up and coming when you have Peyton Manning as your qb. What to they do with MM?

Peyton would be hired into the front office, not as QB.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...manning-and-bill-polian-possible-in-tennessee

Buried in this story about Peyton Manning and Bill Polian possibly going to the Titans Front Office is the fact Polian going to Buffalo last year would have kept Marrone around there.

If Polian/Manning go to Tennessee I think Marrone will be their HC. Saint Doug could be the HC of one of the next upcoming AFC teams.
Polian and Ron Wolf --- both HOF execs --- are big-time Marrone advocates. Say what you will (and I too felt jilted when he abruptly left), but Marrone is a darn good coach and is held in high regard by many in the NFL establishment (Marrone would be the Jets HC right now if not for a series of circumstances that have nothing to do with him). He is going to be a HC again. Yes, he has some deficiencies and he needs to look in the mirror for some of those. But so does everyone.

I am a Bills fan, and my biggest question about Marrone's 2 seasons in WNY concern EJ Manuel.
Was EJ forced upon Marrone (by Nix) or was he a Marrone/Hackett selection (or mis-selection)?
I've never seen that officially addressed. I want to think it was Nix, but I am not certain.

Polian and Ron Wolf --- both HOF execs --- are big-time Marrone advocates. Say what you will (and I too felt jilted when he abruptly left), but Marrone is a darn good coach and is held in high regard by many in the NFL establishment (Marrone would be the Jets HC right now if not for a series of circumstances that have nothing to do with him). He is going to be a HC again. Yes, he has some deficiencies and he needs to look in the mirror for some of those. But so does everyone.

I am a Bills fan, and my biggest question about Marrone's 2 seasons in WNY concern EJ Manuel.
Was EJ forced upon Marrone (by Nix) or was he a Marrone/Hackett selection (or mis-selection)?
I've never seen that officially addressed. I want to think it was Nix, but I am not certain.

A giant mistake its like the did not talk to Jimbo at all he said at best he was a third rounder.

I think the article is saying they'd have Polian & Manning joining forces in the front office together. Not with Manning as QB...

Marrone is a good coach but I wouldn't trust him to be able to handle the rigors of all that a HC entails. Frankly, in his two HC stints so far, he appears to me to HATE it. His misery seems to pass on to his players too.

Marrone is a good coach but I wouldn't trust him to be able to handle the rigors of all that a HC entails. Frankly, in his two HC stints so far, he appears to me to HATE it. His misery seems to pass on to his players too.
He took over the worst team in college football and the worst team in pro football and had to break some eggs at both places to get them to win. They understand football in Tennessee and will be appreciated there.

I understand what you are saying, but honestly, how many of them really look like they are enjoying it? Pete Carroll. Okay. There's one (and admittedly there are many more too).

But there is a huge subset that do not appear to have enjoyed the job, but they kept coming back: Shula, Belichick, Ditka, Holmgren, Grant, Landry, Reeves, Parcells. I just don't think Marrone's demeanor (sideline and/or press conferences) should exclude him from that job because he checks so may other boxes. No one hits them all, well except Dino!

SU94 said:
Polian and Ron Wolf --- both HOF execs --- are big-time Marrone advocates. Say what you will (and I too felt jilted when he abruptly left), but Marrone is a darn good coach and is held in high regard by many in the NFL establishment (Marrone would be the Jets HC right now if not for a series of circumstances that have nothing to do with him). He is going to be a HC again. Yes, he has some deficiencies and he needs to look in the mirror for some of those. But so does everyone. I am a Bills fan, and my biggest question about Marrone's 2 seasons in WNY concern EJ Manuel. Was EJ forced upon Marrone (by Nix) or was he a Marrone/Hackett selection (or mis-selection)? I've never seen that officially addressed. I want to think it was Nix, but I am not certain.

He is not without fault. He did himself no favors that last year in Buffalo > Oline coach in Jax.

But I've always thought he'd get another shot.

that last year in Buffalo > Oline coach in Jax.
Money from Bills for 2015 + Money from Jax for 2015 > Money from Bills for 2015

New HC coach job for 2016 will mean it was all worth it from him.

Khan is going to have to think long and hard about letting Doug slip out of his grasp , to a divisional foe no less. Maybe the G-Men want him too.

Of course. I meant perception-wise.

I thought he was smart financially to take the money and run. But it did damage his rep some.

The guy loves being a CEO/HC. I'm sorry, but you are off-base here. Just because he has a bitchface doesn't mean he isn't enjoying it. Bill Belichek isn't exactly a peachy guy, either.

He is an NFL guy, not a college guy, and will find a HC gig soon IMO. Tennessee makes sense for many reasons.

I'm pretty sure the money was equal, if I understand it correctly. The money he made from Jax this year was deducted from what the Bills owed him, so he would have made the same amount of money in either scenario.

I think he is an NFL HC all the way. I personally think the Bills job is incredibly difficult. Going to a team such as Tennessee with a good up and coming QB would be a great fit.

I think he is an NFL HC all the way. I personally think the Bills job is incredibly difficult. Going to a team such as Tennessee with a good up and coming QB would be a great fit.

I am wondering what the Bills fans here think of the job Rex did this season (with more talent?) as compared to the progress the Bills were making under DM. I think most of you were glad to see him go.

IF Marrone gets the Titans job, especially with MM as his QB, I have little doubt he will be very successful NFL HC very quickly.

I understand what you are saying, but honestly, how many of them really look like they are enjoying it? Pete Carroll. Okay. There's one (and admittedly there are many more too).

But there is a huge subset that do not appear to have enjoyed the job, but they kept coming back: Shula, Belichick, Ditka, Holmgren, Grant, Landry, Reeves, Parcells. I just don't think Marrone's demeanor (sideline and/or press conferences) should exclude him from that job because he checks so may other boxes. No one hits them all, well except Dino!

Belichick certainly does not appear to enjoy any of it.

CuseOnly said:
Apparently it didn't, he is going to get another NFL HC job in the short term.

It did. But not enough to blacklist him.

I'm pretty sure the money was equal, if I understand it correctly. The money he made from Jax this year was deducted from what the Bills owed him, so he would have made the same amount of money in either scenario.
I don't think so. The Bills owed him a season's pay. He got all of it.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12104824/doug-marrone-opts-contract-buffalo-bills
"Marrone's clause also allows him to walk away with his 2015 guaranteed base salary of $4 million without it counting as an offset against any future salary even if he should land another job, sources said. Marrone now is free to negotiate with any team seeking a head coach."

Last edited:
If he did land the Tenn job it would be nice for his wife to go home.