Looks like we have 2 open slots for 2019 | Syracusefan.com

Looks like we have 2 open slots for 2019

orangemass

All American
Do we dip into the portal, reward a pwo, or bank them for 2020? Thoughts

I'd expect the staff to comb over the grad transfer market, which should be expanding over the next couple of weeks as school ends, to see if they can bolster keys positions of need without tying up scholarships beyond next fall.

I'm certain that they're also keeping their eyes open for any unusual situations [a la A. Robinson] where they can add a talented prospect who slips through the cracks.

Leave no stone unturned.

I guess I’ll be the lone dissenter and say that I feel we are fine without picking up another GT

That doesn't make sense. Leaving the vacant scholarships unfilled accomplishes nothing, and impairs both depth and bodies in practice. And taking a grad transfer does not tie up scholarships for the class of 2020.

The staff shouldn't just take a warm body to fill the spot, but if there's a grad transfer who can bolster depth, they would be foolish to turn their noses up just because the prospect is a GT.

Have to think we're looking at a transfer DT, LB or QB.
We know the staff wanted to get another grad transfer OT and we know the staff wanted a grad transfer DE (we lost him to NC State).

Coaching staffs meet with their players after spring practice to discuss their futures. Those discussions play a key role in determining the future for some players, especially seniors to be, especially seniors to be who have graduated.

My guess is that there will be late wave of players who decide to leave late (some might be waiting to confirm they are graduating too). My guess is that we will try and take a couple.

Ideally, one will be a DL and one will be an OT.

We know the staff wanted to get another grad transfer OT and we know the staff wanted a grad transfer DE (we lost him to NC State).

Coaching staffs meet with their players after spring practice to discuss their futures. Those discussions play a key role in determining the future for some players, especially seniors to be, especially seniors to be who have graduated.

My guess is that there will be late wave of players who decide to leave late (some might be waiting to confirm they are graduating too). My guess is that we will try and take a couple.

My only question is why a DE? Both our starters will be gone next year in addition to the GT DE which leaves us in the same position next year.

I believe the DE was a traditional transfer not grad...

I agree with the sentiment of your post however...

A one year rental plug and play DT would give us a proven commodity fourth player [with the fifth being Harper] - that would certainly protect against injuries.

If not that, then LB or OT are the positions where I would envision a GT being able to make a splash.

A one year rental plug and play DT would give us a proven commodity fourth player [with the fifth being Harper] - that would certainly protect against injuries.

If not that, then LB or OT are the positions where I would envision a GT being able to make a splash.
Agreed. Especially now with Shy not being allowed to return.

Looking at the 2019 Fishes and Loaves thread I think the culling is done. That would mean 61 returning and 22 commits for 2019. Two more spots. Even if some more players left they could only take 3 scholarship players under the new rules.

Limited to 25, no holding over to the next year. Still can't go over the 85 total.

I thought the 25 limit was for freshmen -- would still be able to add grad transfers beyond that. Not sure on transfers.

I thought the 25 limit was for freshmen -- would still be able to add grad transfers beyond that. Not sure on transfers.
Grad transfers don't count towards the initial 25 but still count towards the total 85. An undergrad transfer would count towards the initial 25.

Since we seem to be intentionally bringing in PWOs, it may not be a bad idea to use any remaining ships to reward a few of those guys. That would show future PWOs there really may be an opportunity for them to earn a spot.

Since we seem to be intentionally bringing in PWOs, it may not be a bad idea to use any remaining ships to reward a few of those guys. That would show future PWOs there really may be an opportunity for them to earn a spot.

If they're good enough, sure.

exactly my thought.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom