Lord of the Rings | Syracusefan.com

Lord of the Rings

upperdeck

Living Legend
I didnt realize just how ambitious this new Amazon series is.. 5 season commitment for $500 million , thats pretty crazy money..

I dont know much beyond the popular Tolkien stuff, so the 2nd age story is pretty new to me.

Got lost pretty much trying follow the complexity of the 3 Jackson movies, but they were entertaining.

My guess, this will be 180 from what Tolkien wrote.

My guess, this will be 180 from what Tolkien wrote.
Not so sure. There’s an enormous amount of hoops to jump through to get the rights to create this ambitious project from the Tolkien Estate. I highly doubt they’ll (Amazon) be permitted to stray too far in their own direction.

Not so sure. There’s an enormous amount of hoops to jump through to get the rights to create this ambitious project from the Tolkien Estate. I highly doubt they’ll (Amazon) be permitted to stray too far in their own direction.
did you see the hobbit movies?

did you see the hobbit movies?
The Hobbit was really a childrens book imo so I wasn’t shocked and expecting it to be like LoTR

Can’t wait. Although this series is going to take place thousands of years prior to LOTR. Might not even be any rings at all.

From what I have read there is a huge amount of this 2nd ring that really is not fleshed out , it covers like a thousand years of time doesnt it? Only some parts are mentioned in the writings that they have to adhere too..

The Hobbit was really a childrens book imo so I wasn’t shocked and expecting it to be like LoTR

wasn‘t your statement they couldn’t deviate too much?

Did the Hobbit movie deviate all that much from the book? the book is from the writings which contain details not actually in the book..

wasn‘t your statement they couldn’t deviate too much?
The Hobbit and Lord of The Rings, as books, were written in two different styles imo.

what was your point in bringing up the Hobbit? i feel like this upcoming series will be a bit darker like Lord of The Rings

Thats my take as well. the Rings stories was always more dark and broader story condensed into a smaller story.. the hobbit a more singular story stretched out .

The Ring could be 50 movies with the material they have.

Did the Hobbit movie deviate all that much from the book? the book is from the writings which contain details not actually in the book..
You betcha. When Radagast came storming into a scene on a sleigh pulled by overgrown rabbits I kinda resigned myself to the disappointment. As good as LOTR was, the Hobbit was bad.

which is my point.. the Hobbit the movie was not directly taken from the Hobbit the book.. there was other backstory no in the book but contained in the writings.

Ironically the studio wanted the Hobbit to be more like the LOTR films instead of the actual Hobbit book

which is my point.. the Hobbit the movie was not directly taken from the Hobbit the book.. there was other backstory no in the book but contained in the writings.
I’m not going to get into it but the hobbit sucked in terms of being a movie and an adaptation, and that isn’t objecting to using other material to widen the story and include it in the context of other events