Spoiler Alert - LOTR | Syracusefan.com

Spoiler Alert LOTR

temery

What?
I decided to watch the trilogy while on vacation, and just started "The Return of the King" (3rd film).

What happened to the ring in the second video? I must have dozed off.

I am finding the beginning of the 3rd film very confusing.

I'm afraid you'll have to be more specific. The ring was with Frodo and Sam the entire way through the trilogy (with a couple tiny exceptions). I'm also curious to know what you're finding confusing about the beginning of the third film, so I'm guessing you really must have missed at least part of the second film.

IIRC at the end of the TT film Frodo and Sam have taken off down the river alone. The ring's with them. Frodo means to go it alone since Boromir was corrupted by desire for the ring, and it got him killed. Frodo doesn't want to put the rest of the party at risk.

I suspect you're watching Aragorn et al. try to track Merry and Pippin, who were carried off by Saruman's orcs. You'll get caught up with Frodo and Sam soon enough.

Hope this helps.

IIRC at the end of the TT film Frodo and Sam have taken off down the river alone. The ring's with them. Frodo means to go it alone since Boromir was corrupted by desire for the ring, and it got him killed. Frodo doesn't want to put the rest of the party at risk.

I suspect you're watching Aragorn et al. try to track Merry and Pippin, who were carried off by Saruman's orcs. You'll get caught up with Frodo and Sam soon enough.

Hope this helps.
You've got your movies mixed up, you just described the end of Fellowship/beginning of Two Towers. The end of Two Towers has Gollum/Smeagol deciding to lead the hobbits to Shelob, and Frodo still has the ring there. Return of the King starts with them still on their journey, and Aragorn et al finding Merry and Pippin at the ruins of Saruman's tower after the attack by the Ents.

You've got your movies mixed up, you just described the end of Fellowship/beginning of Two Towers. The end of Two Towers has Gollum/Smeagol deciding to lead the hobbits to Shelob, and Frodo still has the ring there. Return of the King starts with them still on their journey, and Aragorn et al finding Merry and Pippin at the ruins of Saruman's tower after the attack by the Ents.

DOH! You're absolutely right. LOL @ me for the boneheaded post.

The irony: I just took my daughter to see Hobbit in the theater today.

As you suggest, if the esteemed OP provides more details I suspect we'll be able to help him out.

I decided to watch the trilogy while on vacation, and just started "The Return of the King" (3rd film).

It's actually much better watching these films in sequence otherwise the 3rd one might not have the same impact. Curious why you started with the 3rd one?

It's actually much better watching these films in sequence otherwise the 3rd one might not have the same impact. Curious why you started with the 3rd one?
I think you misread his post. I believe he's working his way through the trilogy, and has just gotten to the third film, and is saying he doesn't recall what happened with the ring in the second one.

I think you misread his post. I believe he's working his way through the trilogy, and has just gotten to the third film, and is saying he doesn't recall what happened with the ring in the second one.

Gothca, you are correct upon rereading.

At the end of the second movie, the ring was sucked out into space, along with Frodo's hand and elvan sword, after Gollum cut it off and revealed himself as Bilbo's father. Not sure what happened to it after that. I'm sure that bald guy with the Dr. Dre headgear finds it.

At the beginning of ROTK I'm pretty sure the opening scene is the flashback to Deagol/Smeagol which could be what the confusion was about.

That flashback just showed how Gollum (Smeagol) came upon the ring and wasn't in continuity with the rest of the films.

At the beginning of ROTK I'm pretty sure the opening scene is the flashback to Deagol/Smeagol which could be what the confusion was about.

That flashback just showed how Gollum (Smeagol) came upon the ring and wasn't in continuity with the rest of the films.

Yup, exactly right. The books had it in a different spot... can't recall exactly where but I think it was earlier. D/S go fishing on S's birthday, D gets pulled into the river by a rather large fish and finds the ring. The neat part about the backstory is Isildur getting waylaid on the way back from Mordor post-Sauron's digital amputation and the whole Isildur / Elrond dynamic that really helps frame Tolkien's elves / men theme.

And um... I... I'll just go back under my comfortable rock now... here in... my parent's basement.

I'm not sure, but I think the whole thing about it is that it isn't literally a ring, if you see it, your phone rings and exactly seven days later after seeing the image - you die.

The first movie ends with Frodo and Sam paddling down the river, leaving the rest of the fellowship behind. Frodo realizes he must do this alone, he can't take the effect the ring may have on others or the devastation of witnessing his friends die. Same joins because of his loyalty.

The second movie the ring travels with Frodo and Sam as they embark on their journey. The come across Gollum, who becomes their guide.

The beginning of the third movie is simply a flashback to the history of gollum and how he came across the ring. I am guessing this is what confused you. It is showing the sad story of Smeagel to get the audience to pity him and at the same time indicate the power of the ring.

lotrse.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom