Lots of talk about Duke, UK, etc. but Texas Tech is REALLY good | Syracusefan.com

Lots of talk about Duke, UK, etc. but Texas Tech is REALLY good

Good points RF. Should make everyone feel confident that there are quality coaches out there. Whenever JB does hang them up, I really hope that JW follows the Dino model and finds an innovative offensive mind to come in and energize the base.

Their coach was at Angelo State a couple of years ago. They have outstanding offense, versatile players, and they really defend.

Impressive. And nobody's talking about them.
They lost 5 of their top 7 in their rotation from last year including Zhaire Smith who went 16th in the NBA draft.

Their coach is elite. His team is going to lose a top 10 pick again this draft.

Their coach was at Angelo State a couple of years ago. They have outstanding offense, versatile players, and they really defend.

It all starts with their aggressive M2M defense. It allows them to control tempo and covers for their very average offense.

I posted the bolded in another thread - that absolutely blows my mind.

Good points RF. Should make everyone feel confident that there are quality coaches out there. Whenever JB does hang them up, I really hope that JW follows the Dino model and finds an innovative offensive mind to come in and energize the base.

Great post -- agree 100%.

And no self-imposed constraints / limitations on the candidate pool. Need to find the best candidate we can, whether that person has pre-existing ties to the program or not.

It all starts with their aggressive M2M defense. It allows them to control tempo and covers for their very average offense.
Our top 10 ZONE defense last season (actually ranked 5th per KenPom) compensated for our anemic offense and got us to the Sweet 16. The difference is that Texas Tech’s offense isn’t half bad (ranked 30th, per KenPom). Our offense last year was ranked 130! Not good all all. If we had an offense like we had this season combined with last year’s defense, we could havegone farther.

I think it would be great for the sport of college basketball for a team like Texas Tech to win a title.

I feel like college football has maybe 25-30 fan-bases that I would consider "hardcore" whereas college basketball only has maybe 10 or 12 tops. If suddenly this school of 40k students and their huge alumni base become a basketball-loving school, it just makes the overall product stronger.

I think it would be great for the sport of college basketball for a team like Texas Tech to win a title.

I feel like college football has maybe 25-30 fan-bases that I would consider "hardcore" whereas college basketball only has maybe 10 or 12 tops. If suddenly this school of 40k students and their huge alumni base become a basketball-loving school, it just makes the overall product stronger.

I would respectfully disagree that there are only 10-12 "hardcore" college basketball fan-bases. I think there are 4-6 in the ACC alone. I do agree it would be great if Texas Tech became huge hoops fans, it'll never be like football out in Lubbock, but the fans they do have for bball are very passionate.

I would respectfully disagree that there are only 10-12 "hardcore" college basketball fan-bases. I think there are 4-6 in the ACC alone. I do agree it would be great if Texas Tech became huge hoops fans, it'll never be like football out in Lubbock, but the fans they do have for bball are very passionate.
Basketball in the Midwest particularly has fervent fan bases; I think it comes from so many small high schools where basketball is the town entertainment in the winter; Transforms easily to college in many cases.

Problem for Texas Tech is MSU doesn't mind playing a half court grind it out game, it's what they do with lot's of muscle inside. Not the up tempo kind of team they can frustrate by slowing them down. But I hope they win.

Seems to me there’s 5-6 each in the ACC, Big Ten, and Big 12.

Then you’ve got Kentucky, Arizona, UCLA, and maybe a couple more(Butler? Marquette? Cincy? Gonzaga?). Villanova. Maybe Temple? Not sure if they still are. It’s probably closer to 25.

Even some of those smaller schools seem to have good fanbases. St. Bonnies. Probably Creighton.

Last edited:
And Michigan is GOOD.

Good overall. They weren't too good on offense most of the season. Tech was a big mismatch in that regard (strength vs. weakness)

Great post -- agree 100%.

And no self-imposed constraints / limitations on the candidate pool. Need to find the best candidate we can, whether that person has pre-existing ties to the program or not.

Agreed. Looking forward to the staff getting back to recruiting the way they did before the sanctions. Getting the best available.

Seems to me there’s 5-6 each in the ACC, Big Ten, and Big 12.

Then you’ve got Kentucky, Arizona, UCLA, and maybe a couple more(Butler? Marquette? Cincy? Gonzaga?). Villanova. Maybe Temple? Not sure if they still are. It’s probably closer to 25.

Even some of those smaller schools seem to have good fanbases. St. Bonnies. Probably Creighton.
Xavier. Maybe Oregon. Washington moving in that direction.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom