Lot's of talk...Bottom Line | Syracusefan.com

Lot's of talk...Bottom Line

Cusedog44

Walk On
Love everyone's posts and visit the site everyday to gain further insight into the Cuse community. Avid, 30 yr Cuse basketball fan here.

Bottom line:

The current team is the best shooting lineup we've had in yrs (per Boeheim). It will probably be the best shooting team (on paper) we've had ever. With that said, we will score and compete against any team we face. This is also the most experienced team we've had in years and with the way things are going, it will be the most veteran filled roster we will perhaps ever had. With that in mind expectations are high and a national championship should be our goal.

Defense: We finally have 2-3 guys in the middle that can protect the rim and a solid group of individuals that know how to play the zone effectively. We don't have the most athletic group ...but again, it is a seasoned squad that knows how to execute Boeheim's defensive strategy.

In my opinion this is a perfect storm of seniority, shooting and talent ...bottom line, we should enjoy the ride because this team's makeup is very, very unique. We are primed for a national championship run.

Love everyone's posts and visit the site everyday to gain further insight into the Cuse community. Avid, 30 yr Cuse basketball fan here.

Bottom line:

The current team is the best shooting lineup we've had in yrs (per Boeheim). It will probably be the best shooting team (on paper) we've had ever. With that said, we will score and compete against any team we face. This is also the most experienced team we've had in years and with the way things are going, it will be the most veteran filled roster we will perhaps ever had. With that in mind expectations are high and a national championship should be our goal.

Defense: We finally have 2-3 guys in the middle that can protect the rim and a solid group of individuals that know how to play the zone effectively. We don't have the most athletic group ...but again, it is a seasoned squad that knows how to execute Boeheim's defensive strategy.

In my opinion this is a perfect storm of seniority, shooting and talent ...bottom line, we should enjoy the ride because this team's makeup is very, very unique. We are primed for a national championship run.
I have been saying this for quite a while. I think we are going to have a lot of fun rooting for this team. Not a perfect team by any means. There are warning signs. How will they do against pressure defense? Defensive rebounding? Big question marks. But I believe the talent is there for us to be very, very good.

Bottom line:

They do not have enough big men to play center. If Jesse and Frank get into foul trouble there's not much depth. This is exactly what is going to happen when the Orange play away games at Duke and UNC. Those local refs love to make calls in favor of the hometown crowd.

Yeah, I'm excited! I agree with Dash and the warning signs. Rebounding seems to be one regardless of year or team. The other, which is not necessarily a warning sign but a key to our success, is how well Joe handles the point this year (especially without Kadary). I also prey to the heavens that we can have our guys play the positions they are meant to play. Looking forward to another year!!

Tonight will be a romp but we will see where Jesse is at and perhaps also get some info about Frank. Our fowards and guards will not be challenged.

I think Benny Williams is going to be a major contributor on the defensive rebounding side. Dude seems to know where to be and the athletic ability to out jump people.

I like all the comments above, both the optimistic ones and those that feel parts are "in progress". Hard for me to give any kind of assessment since all I've had to date are radio broadcasts and reading the threads in here. Unfortunately it will be radio for me again tonight, but will finally be able to watch them for our game on Sunday :) :) :)

I have been saying this for quite a while. I think we are going to have a lot of fun rooting for this team. Not a perfect team by any means. There are warning signs. How will they do against pressure defense? Defensive rebounding? Big question marks. But I believe the talent is there for us to be very, very good.

There are three things I fear are deficiencies with how this squad is constructed [because I agree, this could be the best offensive / shooting team in a while]:
  1. Rebounding
  2. Sub-par PG play
  3. Lack of secondary ball handler / playmaker -- someone who might be able to initiate the offense if the ball is out of the lead guards' hands and get the ball to our primary scorers [Marek was the guy last year, Eli Hughes two seasons ago -- not sure that we have anyone suited for the role this season]?

All three of these issues concern me. A lot.

Last edited:
They do not have enough big men to play center. If Jesse and Frank get into foul trouble there's not much depth. This is exactly what is going to happen when the Orange play away games at Duke and UNC. Those local refs love to make calls in favor of the hometown crowd.
How many college basketball teams in 2021 have more than two guys that their fanbase/coach would want playing center in a conference game?

There are three things I fear [because I agree, this could be the best offensive / shooting team in a while]:
  1. Rebounding
  2. Sub-par PG play
  3. Who's the secondary ball handler / playmaker -- someone who might be able to facilitate the offense if the ball is out of the lead guards' hands [Marek was the guy last year, Eli Hughes two seasons ago]?

We need to see more out of Jimmy but I don't think its far-fetched for him to take on that responsibility like Marek did.

We are on the same page with what you added haha I was going to say its not impossible that Benny is an Eli-light in that sense this year and much more next season.

There are three things I fear are deficiencies with how this squad is constructed [because I agree, this could be the best offensive / shooting team in a while]:
  1. Rebounding
  2. Sub-par PG play
  3. Lack of secondary ball handler / playmaker -- someone who might be able to initiate the offense if the ball is out of the lead guards' hands and get the ball to our primary scorers [Marek was the guy last year, Eli Hughes two seasons ago -- not sure that we have anyone suited for the role this season]?

Agreed and this not even including low athleticism and defense.

I love our shooting and have always wanted this firepower but when you’re lacking so many other things the payoff may not be worth it, and that’s where I think we are.

We’re not going to be running like we have against better t and and our moving without the ball in half court sets has been minimal.

We need to see more out of Jimmy but I don't think its far-fetched for him to take on that responsibility like Marek did.

We are on the same page with what you added haha I was going to say its not impossible that Benny is an Eli-light in that sense this year and much more next season.
This would be a big time disaster if Jimmy is bringing the ball up.

1. Rebounding
  2. Sub-par PG play

re: 3
In limited action I was impressed with Swider's ball handling. It wasn't something I was expecting. That has the potential to be a match up problem for opposing teams.

This would be a big time disaster if Jimmy is bringing the ball up.
I don't necessarily disagree with that but someone can facilitate the offense without bringing the ball up. Marek was just able to do both comfortably haha

Hate being an optimist but the day of the first game is a good time for it.

The Orange figure to live or die by the 3 this season.
There are going to be games when they're on fire.
And that requires a catch phrase...for the announcers or at least for me to yell at my TV.

In Dick Vitale-speak it will be something like, "Better call a plumber (fill in name of visiting head coach) it's raining 3's!!!"

Last edited:
Hate being an optimist but the day of the first game is a good time for it.

The Orange figure to live or die by the 3 this season.
There are going to be games when they're on fire.
And that requires a catch phrase...for the announcers or at least for me to yell at my TV.

In Dick Vitale-speak it will be something like, "Better call a plumber (fill in name of visiting head coach) it's raining 3's!!!"
We’re capable of beating any team in the country. Unfortunately I think we can lose to any team with average or above guard play. Teams with good guards and a good center are going to be out weakness.

We’re capable of beating any team in the country. Unfortunately I think we can lose to any team with average or above guard play. Teams with good guards and a good center are going to be out weakness.
That’s the case for most teams. Good guards win you a lot of games.

I know a lot of people are down on the PG position because kadary left. I’m not sold on Joe at the point but I think cohesiveness with all the players cannot be understated. With Kadary I think the team risked him wanting to show case himself and not get his teammates involved. I think Joe will be the opposite. Sometimes a team player especially at the point is a greater benefit to a team then a more athletic player that may not be a team guy. I may be reading Kadary wrong and he may be a great facilitator at SH but leaving SU makes me believe he may want to show case himself over the team. Time will tell.

I am optimisitic as well...can't say I haven't had the same thoughts as the original poster.

I know JB has kinda lined everything up to have the best shot at it in Buddy's last year...I think it was by design...and now it is "go time"

My biggest concern is the type of game we saw vs Houston - they were just way too athletic/physically superior - BUT

I think that the team this year MIGHT be ready to overcome a team like that with BBIQ and just more cohesive play - part of the problem vs Houston was that too many key players were one-dimensional...and I dont think that is the case this year.

I think EVERYONE (the other teams I mean) will basically be young and inexperienced this season...so having a team that is this experienced and ready is a HUGE advantage. it would be normally in decades past but now way moreso.

this team is in the mold of butler/villanova/uva teams that have won it, imo.

for me its all about guard play.

Im not worried about defense or rebounding, actually. This team is TALL and the depth is there in the frontcourt.

this is true, however the caveat being the zone can sometimes negate guards strengths and very few teams have a good center.

I am optimisitic as well...can't say I haven't had the same thoughts as the original poster.

I know JB has kinda lined everything up to have the best shot at it in Buddy's last year...I think it was by design...and now it is "go time"

My biggest concern is the type of game we saw vs Houston - they were just way too athletic/physically superior - BUT

I think that the team this year MIGHT be ready to overcome a team like that with BBIQ and just more cohesive play - part of the problem vs Houston was that too many key players were one-dimensional...and I dont think that is the case this year.

I think EVERYONE (the other teams I mean) will basically be young and inexperienced this season...so having a team that is this experienced and ready is a HUGE advantage. it would be normally in decades past but now way moreso.

Im not worried about defense or rebounding, actually. This team is TALL and the depth is there in the frontcourt.

That's true -- we DEFINITELY have a group of principals in the rotation who are HIGHLY experienced:
  • Buddy
  • Swider
  • Jimmy III
The issue being that they haven't played together. But it should pay dividends eventually, once they settle into defined roles and get comfortable out there.

With all the roster churn for Syracuse and basically everyone else, I think it is harder than ever to see what this season will bring.

But I think it is clear this will be a much better team offensively than last year.

I suspect the defense is also going to be a little better than last season. We really only had good Jesse at the end of the season. A center who is that big and athletic makes it a lot harder for teams to score inside on us. We have been giving up far too many points in the paint since Pascal left.

I think we will end up okay here.

My biggest concern is rebounding, especially on the defensive end. Jesse and Benny are going to be our best at this and one of the keys for the season is whether they are going to be able to play enough minutes to mask our relative lack of quickness and athleticism. Both are likely going to get in foul trouble and Benny might get blocked some by Cole and JBIII.

Like how unselfish the team has been to date. Like how well the ball has moved in half court settings. It will be interesting to see how things go when the level of competition ramps up. That is going to happen really early this season. Really early...

I think the pieces are there for this team to have a 23 win regular season.
Hold our own on the boards( I mean we go 6'11/6'10/6'9/6'9 and 6'8 come on!).
We can press if needed with Torrence Girard Benny Swider and whomever.
Be a very good FT shooting team.
I mean we are going to get our points in bunches...the zone defense ought to be
a great "fit" as it will keep CUSE in games til the 3s come.
I think I see chemistry, I think I see attitude and grit.
LGO!!!

I like many of the points you have made, particularly about our experience and how so many teams this year will not have a lot of it. But the point you made above is interesting to me, and others have made the same point. That is the idea that Boeheim “designed” this team. But I can’t see how. We lost a ton of players and it seems we randomly got some good transfers, particularly Swider. But Boeheim didn’t know these players were coming, did he? And we only had one freshman coming. So I am curious about your reasoning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom