Louisville, A cautionary tale. | Syracusefan.com

Louisville, A cautionary tale.

grepal

Starter
Wat hing the Kenny Payne coached Cards and seeing an 0 and 5 starts including three losses to lesser teams makes me nervous about making sure SU hires the right man when Coach retires. It often takes some failures to find the right coach.

Wat hing the Kenny Payne coached Cards and seeing an 0 and 5 starts including three losses to lesser teams makes me nervous about making sure SU hires the right man when Coach retires. It often takes some failures to find the right coach.
That would never happen here. It's not like we would hire a G-rob...oh wait

Too focused on Arkansas to think about Kenny Payne's Cards-
What does SU have to do to get a freshman class like that?
Impressive -and Nick Smith not even playing yet!

Kenny Payne got paid, but at this point may be wishing he still had his 2nd row seat at MSG.

Oh, I thought you were going the Denny scrum route for a second. You know, hanging on too long…

What is happening to Louisville in Maui could easily happen to us next year.
Have you seen Louisville play? They’ve quit 5 games in. It will never be this bad here unless Wildhack makes the dumbest hire ever. This is worse than BC or Pitt level bad. They are the worst Power 5 team and it’s not close. That’s coming off a 13-19 season. Kenny Payne was an awful hire. Just goes to show you that nobody will ever be certain what will constitute a good hire anywhere.

Have you seen Louisville play? They’ve quit 5 games in. It will never be this bad here unless Wildhack makes the dumbest hire ever. This is worse than BC or Pitt level bad. They are the worst Power 5 team and it’s not close. That’s coming off a 13-19 season. Kenny Payne was an awful hire. Just goes to show you that nobody will ever be certain what will constitute a good hire anywhere.

I think last nights effort was as good as this team is capable of playing and St Johns still looked like they were vastly superior. We're going to be at the bottom of the league. Even BC beat a good Wyoming team that made the dance and brings back their best players. Can't believe we didn't get a better shot off at the end.

3 games in 3 days against elite competition can mean 3 L's. Hopefully we get Chaminade 1st round.

I think last nights effort was as good as this team is capable of playing and St Johns still looked like they were vastly superior. We're going to be at the bottom of the league. Even BC beat a good Wyoming team that made the dance and brings back their best players. Can't believe we didn't get a better shot off at the end.

3 games in 3 days against elite competition can mean 3 L's. Hopefully we get Chaminade 1st round.
We lost by 6 in overtime and we threw the ball out of bounds 5 times in the second half when our leading scorer went 1-10. I want JB to retire as much as anyone, but I don’t agree with anything you said.

They shouldn’t have fired Chris Mack. That was a “home run hire” that didn’t go as well as expected. But they shoulda stuck with him and see if he could turn things around. He at least had a very good previous track record.

“Vastly superior”? What game did you watch? Good grief.

Not hiring coaches that are complete d-bags is usually a good starting place that LVille hasn’t quite figured out.
Uh if you polled this forum for who they want to replace JB I think Pitino wins in a landslide. Unfortunately. I wouldn't pick him but lots would.
They shouldn’t have fired Chris Mack. That was a “home run hire” that didn’t go as well as expected. But they shoulda stuck with him and see if he could turn things around. He at least had a very good previous track record.
Payne checks a lot of boxes former player NBA ties big recruiter for UK. They didn't want what Mack was bringing them they want to be UNC or Duke. He's a Xavier alum he doesn't take a job literally the next town over if he doesn't have the same expectations. Our fans will probably be the same way with our next coach even if he has to start off dragging us out of the gutter thanks to JB letting the decline go so far.

I'm actually not sure Mack wouldn't be an awful candidate for us if we get turned down by the people we should target.

“Vastly superior”? What game did you watch? Good grief.
Alexander turned the tables on Judah 2nd half big time. Curbelo was a million times better than Girard that was the game really. Bell and Benny had their best games possible but they had the better wings I'd love to have Jones and Mathis was good too. C was even but I'd take Soriano over Edwards.

I wasn't meaning to be negative I just felt like that was a blown opportunity to knock off a really good opponent. I don't like our chances running it back.

Uh if you polled this forum for who they want to replace JB I think Pitino wins in a landslide. Unfortunately. I wouldn't pick him but lots would.

Payne checks a lot of boxes former player NBA ties big recruiter for UK. They didn't want what Mack was bringing them they want to be UNC or Duke. He's a Xavier alum he doesn't take a job literally the next town over if he doesn't have the same expectations. Our fans will probably be the same way with our next coach even if he has to start off dragging us out of the gutter thanks to JB letting the decline go so far.

I'm actually not sure Mack wouldn't be an awful candidate for us if we get turned down by the people we should target.
There’s clearly more to coaching than recruiting. Some people have a hard time with that.

Louisville has had five head coaches in seven years. Two were interim. There is no continuity or player development. Add in the threat of NCAA sanctions, excessive premature attrition, an assistant coach attempting to extort the school, and an athletic department in flux, and this is what you get. Now that the NCAA sanctions have turned into a slap on the wrist, it will be interesting to see if their recruiting can recover. The only bright spot is the notion that they will have plenty of playing time to offer to those in the transfer portal come spring. That said, I don't think that any parallels can be drawn to the Syracuse program. The Orange program isn't in anywhere near the condition of the Louisville dumpster fire, and isn't likely to be.

Alexander turned the tables on Judah 2nd half big time. Curbelo was a million times better than Girard that was the game really. Bell and Benny had their best games possible but they had the better wings I'd love to have Jones and Mathis was good too. C was even but I'd take Soriano over Edwards.

I wasn't meaning to be negative I just felt like that was a blown opportunity to knock off a really good opponent. I don't like our chances running it back.
Agree it was a blown opportunity. But I think we could beat them if we played again. And I think SJU is a good (but strange) team. They will do well in the BE. Not going to win it or anything but will be middle of the pack or better.

Mack is apparently just chilling out while collecting at cool $133k a month through 2025 from Lville.

I’m not sure what stank was left on him from the whole Lville firing. Seems like he’s either holding out for something great or waiting it out until his buyout gets lower. He’s literally got millions of reasons to do nothing right now.

But if Bruce Pearl can get resurrected, I’m sure Mack will get another shot.