Louisville / Kansas / LSU / Arizona / Auburn / NC State / Memphis / Other NCAA Violations | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Louisville / Kansas / LSU / Arizona / Auburn / NC State / Memphis / Other NCAA Violations

Seriously if anyone has HbO and hasn’t watched that special about the adidas guy. You have to watch it now. This will make this thread wayyyyyy bettter. It’s unreallllll what they have on wire tap from zona and lsu coach
Whats the name of the special. Thanks in advance.

Pearl had what one stop where he didn't get caught for cheating? Milwaukee?

Actually he even had a violation there so he's batting 1000

Would make more sense if the punishment was a postseason ban the next time they are eligible. Would suddenly carry a lot more weight.

Well this is a self imposed penalty. Kind of like starting a diet after the holidays. It would make a ton more sense to start the diet before gorging yourself during the holidays, but...

We can't take shots at the self-imposed ban strategy. None of this matters if Pearl , Miller and the others keep getting hired, which they do/will. The schools don't care, they are the hypocrites here.

We can't take shots at the self-imposed ban strategy. None of this matters if Pearl , Miller and the others keep getting hired, which they do/will. The schools don't care, they are the hypocrites here.
We got over punished for misdemeanors. We were treated like we committed a major felony crime.

You realize what the essence of the NCAA case was against us?
1. We had our own drug policy that should have resulted in SU calling parents of players who failed tests.
We didn’t do it. So we had a stricter policy than the NCAA required and were lazy. Okay.

2. 2 basketball players were paid a couple of hundred dollars a few times for no-show work at a local YMCA.
Oh good god.

3. A tutor helped an ESL basketball player write a term paper.
A violation.

These crimes should have resulted in 1 loss scholarship for a year or two and the NCAA treated us as habitual felony violators and over-punished us.
All because JB pissed off somebody in the NCAA offices.
If the AD didn't include JB's initial retirement date I think we may have gotten punished even more. Plus the 1 year postseason ban was such a joke.

We should be screaming murder.

We lost 12 scholarships for that crap and had to impose a postseason ban to fill their blood lust.

Arizona/Kansas/Auburn/Louisville/LSUhave coaches paying recruits straight cash and still waiting for their bombs.
Then you got POS Bruce Pearl who already committed major violations at Tennessee trying the woe is me we are losing 2 postseasons because of Covid.
GMAFB.

That guy needs to shut the hell up and the NCAA if they had any integrity which they don’t would hammer them more for his bullchit.

We got over punished for misdemeanors. We were treated like we committed a major felony crime.

1. We had our own drug policy that should have resulted in SU calling parents of players who failed tests.
We didn’t do it. So we had a stricter policy than the NCAA required and were lazy. Okay.

2. 2 basketball players were paid a couple of hundred dollars a few times for no-show work at a local YMCA.
Oh good god.

A violation.

These crimes should have resulted in 1 loss scholarship for a year or two and the NCAA treated us as habitual felony violators and over-punished us.
If the AD didn't include JB's initial retirement date I think we may have gotten punished even more. Plus the 1 year postseason ban was such a joke.

We lost 12 scholarships for that crap and had to impose a postseason ban to fill their blood lust.

Arizona/Kansas/Auburn/Louisville/LSUhave coaches paying recruits straight cash and still waiting for their bombs.
Then you got POS Bruce Pearl who already committed major violations at Tennessee trying the woe is me we are losing 2 postseasons because of Covid.
GMAFB.

That guy needs to shut the hell up and the NCAA if they had any integrity which they don’t would hammer them more for his bullchit.
Thanks I'm aware and didn't comment or compare on severity of crimes. I do appreciate the history lesson so thanks. . Doesn't change the fact we used the same BS cop out.

Oh good god.

I agree with your post entirely. We got investigated for years and hammered for small stuff. They have recordings of coaches talking about payoffs to players, and nothing. The only bright side is that guys like Miller have been sweating this you a couple of years now, which can’t be fun.

One question - were the jobs at the YMCA “no shows”? I thought they were paid to ref games, which I thought they did.

I agree with your post entirely. We got investigated for years and hammered for small stuff. They have recordings of coaches talking about payoffs to players, and nothing. The only bright side is that guys like Miller have been sweating this you a couple of years now, which can’t be fun.

One question - were the jobs at the YMCA “no shows”? I thought they were paid to ref games, which I thought they did.

I believe you are correct on the YMCA jobs.

Thanks the clarification.
God forbid a couple of basketball players got paid to ref games at YMCA.

Troy Smith when he was at Ohio State got paid to work a no-show job at a Ohio State boosters car dealership and he got suspended for a game and had to repay the money but Ohio State didn’t get punished.
I thought the YMCA was a no-show gig as well.
If the NCAA got its cut I am sure they would have been okay.

Thanks the clarification.
God forbid a couple of basketball players got paid to ref games at YMCA.

Troy Smith when he was at Ohio State got paid to work a no-show job at a Ohio State boosters car dealership and he got suspended for a game and had to repay the money but Ohio State didn’t get punished.
I thought the YMCA was a no-show gig as well.
If the NCAA got its cut I am sure they would have been okay.

Without going back and looking it up, the NCAA really focused upon the "sponsor" from the YMCA who coordinated that program being an SU booster, and also that there was some alleged impropriety [ebezzling? Again, not looking it up] from that individual that didn't have anything to do with SU or our players, but which cast suspicion on him being of questionable character.

In and of itself, getting paid to ref is not a big deal -- the NCAA suggested that the pay was too "high," but it wasn't a very large amount of money, and this wasn't a no-show situation. IIRC, the NCAA "issue" -- which was very minor -- was that the players got college credit for the internship with the YMCA, but their hours weren't properly documented, which meant that the amount of time they put in couldn't be verified.

So, all of those things in conjunction made the NCAA write it up in a salacious manner, alluding to the fact that there was "smoke," so there must be a fire.

Without going back and looking it up, the NCAA really focused upon the "sponsor" from the YMCA who coordinated that program being an SU booster, and also that there was some alleged impropriety [ebezzling? Again, not looking it up] from that individual that didn't have anything to do with SU or our players, but which cast suspicion on him being of questionable character.

In and of itself, getting paid to ref is not a big deal -- the NCAA suggested that the pay was too "high," but it wasn't a very large amount of money, and this wasn't a no-show situation. IIRC, the NCAA "issue" -- which was very minor -- was that the players got college credit for the internship with the YMCA, but their hours weren't properly documented, which meant that the amount of time they put in couldn't be verified.

So, all of those things in conjunction made the NCAA write it up in a salacious manner, alluding to the fact that there was "smoke," so there must be a fire.
Yeah, but the raging inferno that was the UNC academic scandal was not in their wheelhouse.

Oh good god.

A violation.

GMAFB.

We were overpunished, but the Fab Melo term paper is a little worse than indicated. He was declared ineligible, and then our ATHLETIC DIRECTOR convened a meeting to discuss the most feasible way to get Fab eligible, which led to the DIRECTOR OF BASKETBALL OPERATIONS doing some work on a paper with Fab's name on it while (as I have heard it) Fab was out drinking. I still agree we were overpunished, but I suspect some of these facts may have weighed on the decision.

We were overpunished, but the Fab Melo term paper is a little worse than indicated. He was declared ineligible, and then our ATHLETIC DIRECTOR convened a meeting to discuss the most feasible way to get Fab eligible, which led to the DIRECTOR OF BASKETBALL OPERATIONS doing some work on a paper with Fab's name on it while (as I have heard it) Fab was out drinking. I still agree we were overpunished, but I suspect some of these facts may have weighed on the decision.
Damn Chucks...always coming back to haunt us

Gross doing this was a very, very bad look. What they were doing wasn't "illegal," but it does open the door for scrutiny / suspicion. They were looking at his grades, and seeing if there were any opportunities to raise them or offset past "INC" grades, in order to pull his GPA up above water again. They found a few professors who were willing to work with them. Those professors then set up requirements, one of which was for Fab to write a paper, which he did. The "help" that he got form academic support was to beef up the citations for a paper.

Ugh...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom