Louisville / Kansas / LSU / Arizona / Auburn / NC State / Memphis / Other NCAA Violations | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Louisville / Kansas / LSU / Arizona / Auburn / NC State / Memphis / Other NCAA Violations

It'll be interesting how Louisville recovers from this. Many here use them as how "fast" they recovered from their scandal and sanctions compared to how SU did.

It'll be interesting how Louisville recovers from this. Many here use them as how "fast" they recovered from their scandal and sanctions compared to how SU did.

They had half the scholarships deducted and fired their coach.

This is all from the Pitino and FBI investigation. The problem is that they fired Pitino and cleaned house, so the ncaa will probably just give them a slap on the wrist. Ugh.
Well, cleaning house is at least more than those other schools did. It’s proactive and definitely needed to be done. The current admin and coaches are so much better than before.

Lol grow some plums and go after Kentucky, Duke and UNC.

SU and L'ville share that same NCAA wheelhouse. Big enough "name" school to punish but not a protected blue blood.

kansas

I read the NCAA’s response. They seem none too happy and used words like “defiant posture” and “disappointed“ that Kansas would not accept any responsibility. Kansas is denying all of the allegations, despite the fact that 3 of their recruits got paid by adidas, because they don‘t believe adidas is a booster. Other cases, like Syracuse‘s and Kansas’ own infractions cases from years ago were cited as precedent on booster status and coaching control.

One thing that really stuck out is that Kansas still hasn‘t done anything in terms of compliance, changed anything with adidas or distanced the program from Gassnola or Gatto. NCAA noted that is a concern and a problem for KU. Also somehow, Larry Brown, is once again involved. Think the NCAA is going to hammer Kansas and Bill Self.

Reading KU’s response to this response, it just seems defiant, uncooperative and full of fluff, especially with regard to how highly their compliance department is regarded by their peers.

”Institution's Failure to Monitor

The University also strongly disagrees with the assertion that it failed to monitor the men's basketball program. The enforcement staff's allegations and conclusions regarding the University's compliance program are misguided. Kansas has one of the strongest compliance programs in the nation and it has been recognized by its peers nationally for its work. In addition, throughout this infractions process, Kansas has fully cooperated with the NCAA, participated in interviews, turned over requested materials and otherwise responded to all requests of the enforcement staff. The University takes seriously all NCAA and Big 12 bylaws, consistently provides education to its staff members, and monitors its programs to ensure compliance with these bylaws.”

Yet Gassnola and Gatto, widely regarded by KU as dirty mobster types, had unfettered access to their program, players, recruits and family members.

Kansas may be a blue blood, but the NCAA nearly destroyed them in 1988. They are in trouble.

Last edited:
I read the NCAA’s response. They seem none too happy and used words like “defiant posture” and “disappointed“ that Kansas would not accept any responsibility. Kansas is denying all of the allegations, despite the fact that 3 of their recruits got paid by adidas, because they don‘t believe adidas is a booster. Other cases, like Syracuse‘s and Kansas’ own infractions cases from years ago were cited as precedent on booster status and coaching control.

One thing that really stuck out is that Kansas still hasn‘t done anything in terms of compliance, changed anything with adidas or distanced the program from Gassnola or Gatto. NCAA noted that is a concern and a problem for KU. Also somehow, Larry Brown, is once again involved. Think the NCAA is going to hammer Kansas and Bill Self.

Reading KU’s response to this response, it just seems defiant, uncooperative and full of fluff, especially with regard to how highly their compliance department is regarded by their peers.

The University also strongly disagrees with the assertion that it failed to monitor the men's basketball program. The enforcement staff's allegations and conclusions regarding the University's compliance program are misguided. Kansas has one of the strongest compliance programs in the nation and it has been recognized by its peers nationally for its work. In addition, throughout this infractions process, Kansas has fully cooperated with the NCAA, participated in interviews, turned over requested materials and otherwise responded to all requests of the enforcement staff. The University takes seriously all NCAA and Big 12 bylaws, consistently provides education to its staff members, and monitors its programs to ensure compliance with these bylaws.”

Yet Gassnola and Gatto, widely regarded by KU as dirty mobster types, had unfettered access to their program, players, recruits and family members.

Kansas may be a blue blood, but the NCAA nearly destroyed them in 1988. They are in trouble.

1588891105407.png

Can we change the thread title to Louisville/Kansas/others lol.

The NCAA said many of the same things about UNC and then conveniently STB.

The NCAA has thrown curveballs for sure so I don't want to sound 100% on this, but from that ESPN article they look ready to absolutely drop the hammer on Kansas. Arizona has to be crapping their pants.

The NCAA said many of the same things about UNC and then conveniently STB.

That’s true. Think this is different, though. Kansas and Self have been giving the middle finger to the NCAA since before the season started. Depends on that booster definition, which seems the NCAA will stick to. At the end of the day, kids were getting paid through adidas, and the NCAA believes Kansas encouraged it. I don‘t see KU getting off lightly on this one,

That’s true. Think this is different, though. Kansas and Self have been giving the middle finger to the NCAA since before the season started. Depends on that booster definition, which seems the NCAA will stick to. At the end of the day, kids were getting paid through adidas, and the NCAA believes Kansas encouraged it. I don‘t see KU getting off lightly on this one,

Tend to agree... although I certainly understand why people are skeptical about the NCAA actually enforcing their rules.

Similar to what happened to SU / Boeheim, I think that the NCAA might need to make an example out of Self here, or risk losing the few remaining vestiges of credibility they have as an enforcement / governing body.

We all know that under the NCAAs watch, amateur athletics has been a sham, and has turned into big business. But if the NCAA doesn't come down on this type of cheating, then they'll effectively be turning a blind eye to cheating on a grand scale, and basically conceding that they are essentially irrelevant and aren't even pretending to enforce the rules anymore.

Which is why they can't afford for Kansas / Self to get off easy. Ditto Arizona with Sean Miller, eventually.

Tend to agree... although I certainly understand why people are skeptical about the NCAA actually enforcing their rules.

Similar to what happened to SU / Boeheim, I think that the NCAA might need to make an example out of Self here, or risk losing the few remaining vestiges of credibility they have as an enforcement / governing body.

We all know that under the NCAAs watch, amateur athletics has been a sham, and has turned into big business. But if the NCAA doesn't come down on this type of cheating, then they'll effectively be turning a blind eye to cheating on a grand scale, and basically conceding that they are essentially irrelevant and aren't even pretending to enforce the rules anymore.

Which is why they can't afford for Kansas / Self to get off easy. Ditto Arizona with Sean Miller, eventually.
The NCAA really needs to have someone come in and take control of the widespread paying of players. This person before penalizing anyone needs to describe violations and then assign a penalty to each. And then fairly investigate and accuse. Allow a retort, adjust findings honestly and then assess the penalty. The name of the school shouldn't matter.

Will Wade and Sean Miller need to be on the NCAA’s chopping block. It will be outrageous if those two are still coaching in two years. And both LSU and Arizona need to have the hammer brought down on their programs.

I'm taking the standard blue blood approach to (crippling) sanctions. I'll believe it when I see it.
I'm on the same page. I think the NCAA will conveniently find a way to avoid a major crackdown. They're scared, especially now, that their time might be limited and the big boys will break away.

If there is punishment though, I really wish they would stop punishing current players who had nothing to do with it and focus on the coaches. Some lifetime bans for serious ongoing infractions, or at least loooong show cause penalties, might finally get their attention. If the worst they get is the Bruce Pearl treatment, the risk-reward calculus is strongly in favor of cheating.

There are going to be some very interesting story lines to follow in the coming months.
1. Louisville was already on probation when the Bowen offenses occurred. While cleaning house at the Athletic Department may mitigate matters a bit, I have a suspicion that they will incur a meaningful sanction. I imagine they will be missing the next NCAA tournament, whenever it happens. It is also worth noting that Coach Mack's contract has provisions for those sanctions. It is automatically extended for however long the punishment lasts, if I am not mistaken. It is probably safe to say some folks in Louisville saw this coming, if not Mack's agent.
2. Kansas admitted to all the charges levied against the football program, and, yet, denied all the charges brought against the basketball program. Read into that what you will.
3. For an indication of what is to come, it might be useful to follow the N C State proceedings concerning the payments allegedly made to Dennis Smith, Jr. That case is being handled through the independent resolution process created at the recommendation of the Rice Commission. There is no appeal to that decision. Given the confrontational manner which Kansas appears to be embracing, their case could be going that way, too.
4. Lastly, concerning UNC. These cases are very different from that of UNC, IMO. Clearly, what these schools have done is in violation of NCAA rules. While I think Carolina did gain a competitive advantage through the 'no show' classes, it also became clear that the NCAA had no regulations concerning an academic failing which was available to all students. I don't believe the NCAA ever anticipated that a reputable university would allow a staff member to create such a class, or that it would exis for so many years. Of course, what I found particularly repugnant was the way in which the UNC athletic department tried to defend itself, if not the amount of money they spent doing so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom