Low-fare Frontier Airlines coming to Syracuse | Syracusefan.com

Low-fare Frontier Airlines coming to Syracuse

I saw that another airline announced direct flights to Nashville also. Syracuse finally getting options.

It is funny this came up. My wife and I were waiting at the Orlando airport last week for our flight back to Syracuse when she saw a Frontier plane with a white animal on the tail. She wanted to know what it is. We ended up spending a lot of time looking at their fleet of planes, all of which have large pictures of animals on the tail.

Pretty cool.

Lockon Aviation Photography - Fleets

Frontier is essentially Spirit 2.0. You can get flights for ridiculously cheap but then you get upcharged for everything. I'm able to fly Frontier from Tampa back to Buffalo for under $50 each way most of the time if I'm willing to just take whatever seat they give me and just pack a backpack. It's fine for a quick 2 hour flight to get home for a few days but I will warn you that the people you are surrounded by makes it like a flying Walmart.

Frontier is essentially Spirit 2.0. You can get flights for ridiculously cheap but then you get upcharged for everything. I'm able to fly Frontier from Tampa back to Buffalo for under $50 each way most of the time if I'm willing to just take whatever seat they give me and just pack a backpack. It's fine for a quick 2 hour flight to get home for a few days but I will warn you that the people you are surrounded by makes it like a flying Walmart.
I only care about their safety record. Most of the carriers suck nowadays anyways. Just get me there in one piece. I can deal with everything else for a couple hours.

I only care about their safety record. Most of the carriers suck nowadays anyways. Just get me there in one piece. I can deal with everything else for a couple hours.

I agree. I throw my headphones on and just go to sleep for 2 hours and I'm back in NY. Got an absurd deal of like $120 or something crazy once for a flight to go visits friends in San Diego and that was a bit brutal. The seats are really uncomfortable and they don't recline at all so 2 hours isn't too bad but anything 4+ gets a little iffy. But for under $250 for 2 roundtrip tickets, I'll deal with some back soreness and use the $300 we saved to drink a hundred beers and forget about it.

I agree. I throw my headphones on and just go to sleep for 2 hours and I'm back in NY. Got an absurd deal of like $120 or something crazy once for a flight to go visits friends in San Diego and that was a bit brutal. The seats are really uncomfortable and they don't recline at all so 2 hours isn't too bad but anything 4+ gets a little iffy. But for under $250 for 2 roundtrip tickets, I'll deal with some back soreness and use the $300 we saved to drink a hundred beers and forget about it.

*Well in San Diego that $300 gets me approx 40 beers not a hundred.

What is the load factor on the Tampa-Buffalo flights? I know Allegiant flies St Pete-Syr...hoping Frontier adds one or two times a week to Cuse from Tampa.

Low cost flights from Cuse will be: Chicago, Denver, Fort Lauderdale, Myrtle Beach, Nashville, Orlando, St Pete-Clearwater, and Raleigh

Frontier is essentially Spirit 2.0. You can get flights for ridiculously cheap but then you get upcharged for everything.
I've flown Frontier a couple times back and forth from Cincinnati to Florida. They were fine. One of the keys to reduce the upcharges is to NOT select your seats, which they charge for. Let the system/website pick the seats for you (they have to give you seats), which costs nothing. Most likely (which happened for me each time), you will still get to sit with the person(s) you are traveling with. It not, so what, it still saves money.

I've flown Frontier a couple times back and forth from Cincinnati to Florida. They were fine. One of the keys to reduce the upcharges is to NOT select your seats, which they charge for. Let the system/website pick the seats for you (they have to give you seats), which costs nothing. Most likely (which happened for me each time), you will still get to sit with the person(s) you are traveling with. It not, so what, it still saves money.
Same with Allegiant. BTW, Allegiant is getting somewhat of a bad rap...hopefully they firm up their maintenance procedures. I haven't had any issues with them the few times I've flown them.

The advantage Frontier offers over Allegiant is they offer some connections particular if you fly through one of their focus cities like Denver.

Hopefully, American will offer a daily nonstop to DFW again...that was huge for making connections to the west coast and International flights.

Same with Allegiant. BTW, Allegiant is getting somewhat of a bad rap...hopefully they firm up their maintenance procedures. I haven't had any issues with them the few times I've flown them.

The advantage Frontier offers over Allegiant is they offer some connections particular if you fly through one of their focus cities like Denver.

Hopefully, American will offer a daily nonstop to DFW again...that was huge for making connections to the west coast and International flights.
OK, let's try this again. Earlier this month, we flew Allegiant from Louisville to Punta Gorda airport (Ft. Myers area) and back. No problems at all. The bad rap has to do with their older planes, if at all valid. We flew their A-320 planes which are newer. They were good. Even with the fees you pay with them, was still an excellent deal.

I used to take that flight a lot when I was working. So convenient to the DFW area. When they stopped it, I stopped making that trip as much.

Coming to Albany now too. Nonstops to Denver and Orlando. Southwest already serves both those markets, but Albany is often excluded from their winter sales. Hopefully the competition benefits us flyers.

Coming to Albany now too. Nonstops to Denver and Orlando. Southwest already serves both those markets, but Albany is often excluded from their winter sales. Hopefully the competition benefits us flyers.
Nothing to do in Denver:cool:

Wish SYR had Southwest. Frontier could make money flying Friday and Sunday flights between Syracuse and Islip

Syracuse Airport traffic is up about 10% this year over 2017. The Bowling Tournament sure helped...it will be interesting to see if traffic stays up the 2nd half of the year with added flights from Allegiant and Frontier.

https://www.syrairport.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/2018-Total-Traffic.pdf

BTW, about half of the glass facade was installed the last time I was at the airport. Folks flying in for FB games to will start to notice a difference. The airport is starting to look modern and inviting. The parking garage is slated to get renovated and also it appears a rental car facility will be built next to the garage to free up the ground level in 2 years.

Hoping Southwest takes notice and brings in 3 flights a day to BWI and maybe 1 flight a day to Florida, Chicago Midway and Las Vegas/or Dallas Love.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom