LSU fires Will Wade | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

LSU fires Will Wade

I think folks are jumping the gun about castigating the NCAA about inaction. I think they're still in the "hearings" stage and haven't issued any punishments or exonerations for any of the cases yet. Yes, assistant coaches are going to jail after guilty pleas because they are the ones on the wiretaps talking about money. Whether they are taking the fall for head coaches is known only to the coaching staffs. I do believe that Archie Miller and Rick Pitino were on the tapes, and Arizona's and Louisville's hearings haven't taken place yet. The NCAA has filed the charge sheet against Arizona. Arizona gets to respond, and then they have the hearing. There's a long list of schools that "everyone knows" is dirty. Well, that list is totally meaningless unless someone talks about it or provides documentary evidence to prove what "everyone knows". The NCAA can't do anything without facing massive lawsuits if they base punishments only on what "everyone knows".

I fully realize that you folks here are very sensitive about NCAA investigations and I may have better results by screaming this into the wind.
I am not really taking shots at the NCAA - they are a clown show. I am more thinking back to the big headlines from the government agencies and the chest thumping and posturing about how the game will be cleaned up and big names are going to roll. The roll out of the accusations is always greater than the result, and again what is the news here - schools are cheating? No way. I think our investigators and prosecutors should be frying bigger fish.

I don't see the big deal over the latest news. He was suspended because he didn't talk to the school. Had he done this to begin with, he'd have coached in the tournament. Nothingburger.

I am not really taking shots at the NCAA - they are a clown show. I am more thinking back to the big headlines from the government agencies and the chest thumping and posturing about how the game will be cleaned up and big names are going to roll. The roll out of the accusations is always greater than the result, and again what is the news here - schools are cheating? No way. I think our investigators and prosecutors should be frying bigger fish.
Maybe the papers said that it would get head coaches but I don't think the Feds said anything like that. Columnists are the worst at taking something and blowing up its importance far beyond what's really there.

This case literally dropped into the laps of the FBI. They were going after a standard white collar crime case (involving mail fraud, IIRC) and then the target started having interactions with Adidas and the assistant coaches. No one in the Federal government started the investigation with the expressed aim of going after corruption in college sports. As you said, they have far bigger fish to fry,

I think folks are jumping the gun about castigating the NCAA about inaction. I think they're still in the "hearings" stage and haven't issued any punishments or exonerations for any of the cases yet. Yes, assistant coaches are going to jail after guilty pleas because they are the ones on the wiretaps talking about money. Whether they are taking the fall for head coaches is known only to the coaching staffs. I do believe that Archie Miller and Rick Pitino were on the tapes, and Arizona's and Louisville's hearings haven't taken place yet. The NCAA has filed the charge sheet against Arizona. Arizona gets to respond, and then they have the hearing. There's a long list of schools that "everyone knows" is dirty. Well, that list is totally meaningless unless someone talks about it or provides documentary evidence to prove what "everyone knows". The NCAA can't do anything without facing massive lawsuits if they base punishments only on what "everyone knows".

I fully realize that you folks here are very sensitive about NCAA investigations and I may have better results by screaming this into the wind.

I just look at a scenario like Zion. With his name coming up in the FBI trial, SU would (based on our history) have potentially held him out of competition because of fears he would be ruled ineligible. We absolutely would have held out Smart at LSU for the tournament. And even after doing that (with a 1 seed that could have won an NC), we still got all the games vacated, even the ones we held the player out for. And the violation was absolutely vanishing compared to these things.

I don't see the big deal over the latest news. He was suspended because he didn't talk to the school. Had he done this to begin with, he'd have coached in the tournament. Nothingburger.

Kind of makes you wonder why he didn't just talk to the school immediately, if he was not involved in any wrongdoing...

Yes I think the NCAA still has the ability, and will, act with regards to LSU (and hopefully the other programs caught up in this mess). I don't think LSU gets out of anything here. What will be interesting to see is if the penalties the NCAA issues to LSU are harsher now that they are keeping their coach. This act represents a bit of defiance on LSU's part. I don't think we would really ever know if there would have been a difference in sanctions if they fired Wade here, but I am a little more intrigued to see how the NCAA handles their future investigation in Baton Rouge

He has already been punished by missing NCAA games. If the NCAA comes down on LSU, they will have cause and they can fire him with no monetary responsibilities.

What this guy and the whole University is so out of control its a clown show. It is beyond me that they are allowed to get away with the stuff they pull.

It's the SEC so cheating is encouraged as there will never be any ramifications. The NCAA does not want to go down that rabbit hole.

It's the SEC so cheating is encouraged as there will never be any ramifications. The NCAA does not want to go down that rabbit hole.

Did you ever think that maybe the NCAA has been paid not to go down that rabbit hole?

People always think that the NCAA chooses to ignore select schools.

If players are getting bags of cash, why not the NCAA?

Did you ever think that maybe the NCAA has been paid not to go down that rabbit hole?

People always think that the NCAA chooses to ignore select schools.

If players are getting bags of cash, why not the NCAA?

The amateur system as it currently exists is quickly eroding at the Power 5 schools. The SEC seems to be ahead of the game when it comes to finding ways to compensate players. I am not mad, more envious, and some of these programs can leap frog us by making the elite players' one year in college more profitable. The SEC schools don't mind pushing limits with the basketball programs because they are a distant second to football. The SEC is so powerful in football they can legitimately succeed from the NCAA if they are not happy.

Maybe Oats and Will Wade are great coaches and LSU and Alabama are awesome places to play college basketball. I might just be bitter. Who knows, I have been drinking bourbon tonight.

Screenshot_20210510-055128_Chrome.jpg

And people are confused as to how Oats has been able to magically bring in top-5 basketball classes to Alabama - like there's a difference between football and basketball recruiting.

Thank god the NCAA was finally good enough to provide LSU with the Notice of Allegations. Otherwise, how would LSU have known just how serious the allegations were? They must as have been blindsided by this. Fortunately, they did the right thing and released Wade as soon as they knew.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom