LSU fires Will Wade | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

LSU fires Will Wade

If a kid gets paid to play college ball doesn't that make him a professional? And if so doesn't the school have to forfeit every game they participated in? If im the NCAA i would do 4 things to put a damper on this.
1: Automatic 3 year post season ban for any school caught paying a player, parent, relative, or guardian. Minimum 3 year 50% reduction in scholarships, paid visits, coaches allowed on the road.
2: 5 year ban on the HC being allowed to coach and or work in any capacity at any NCAA governed school.
3: Return of all post season revenue recieved during the period which the ineligible player participated.
4: Minimum 5m fine levied against the school.

If a kid gets paid to play college ball doesn't that make him a professional? And if so doesn't the school have to forfeit every game they participated in? If im the NCAA i would do 4 things to put a damper on this.
1: Automatic 3 year post season ban for any school caught paying a player, parent, relative, or guardian. Minimum 3 year 50% reduction in scholarships, paid visits, coaches allowed on the road.
2: 5 year ban on the HC being allowed to coach and or work in any capacity at any NCAA governed school.
3: Return of all post season revenue recieved during the period which the ineligible player participated.

If there is any truth at all in the rumors of how many schools and/or recruits may be involved there is absolutely no chance that the NCAA imposes those sanctions. If its 5 or 6 schools involved, maybe. But there is no chance that they will take action that might endanger their multi-billion dollar golden goose.

The problem is not rules that have been violated. The problem is the fundamental underpinning of college basketball. Do NCAA athletics exist to be an extra curricular pursuit for students that are pursuing a college education or does it exist solely for the purpose of advancing athletics with a college education being a nice bonus for some participants?

The Ben Simmons quotes where he says he had no interest in getting an education make clear the problem (and he isn't the first, last or only player to express this).

The NCAA needs to make a decision about its fundamental purpose. If its going to continue to be a home for every kid that wants to pursue professional athletics (basketball, football etc) regardless of their interest in obtain a college education than it needs to give up the charade; pay players and allow them to go to class if they want, but not require it.

If they want to be something more like what they have traditionally been then they need to put the money second and return to admissions standards that weed out people that aren't there to get a degree.

Last edited:
You would have no post-season. No teams left. I think every coach dreads the snagged peer coach opening the curtain.

At this point it’s almost like competing in a totally different sport. So have two Tournaments;

“The Cheater Bracket”
- Arizona
- LSU
- Miami
- Kansas
- Kentucky
- Louisville
- (Many others)

“The Clean Bracket”
- Syracuse & who else???
- Gonzaga?
- Villanova?
- Michigan?

I like our odds a lot better in this more “level playing field”

sort of like those body building competitions where they have the "clean division"

I found this article from February, 2018 amusing: Sources: LSU's Will Wade drawing scrutiny from NCAA for recruiting tactics

From the article:

It’s unlikely the NCAA probe of LSU and Wade intersects with the ongoing federal investigation into basketball corruption, as the NCAA has been respectful of the boundaries of the ongoing criminal cases.

That federal investigation has featured multiple links to the LSU program, though none of those known links are currently associated with Wade’s 11-month tenure at the school.

Ok I’ll go there. In recruiting circles he was a known cheat. He did it through middlemen always though.

Interesting if true. It's not as if Pitt used to haul in annual Top 10-20 type recruiting classes when in the Big East or ACC. We generally complained how they got away with such physical play, grabbing, holding, antics, etc. and it was more of that than talent, especially when dealing with their high success rate over us.

LSU is lucky they didn't have 2 players smoke a joint in the offseason, or have a tutor help an ESL student write a paper. Now that would be unfair.

Don't forget any players working at a YMCA 25 miles away.

There was a thread maybe a year ago asking if we should purposely cheat because who cares if we get caught, and I couldn't believe how many people said yes.

I don't want to be anything like LSU. I'm like Bob Cousy in Blue Chips.

I'm impressed at your skill from the line

Smart/Waters/Williams/Reid are probably all dirty recruits. LSU is not a basketball school yet they had quite a haul that has helped them with a nice season so far. NCAA has to hammer these coaches/programs.
The NCAA only looks into the recruiting of the "non-traditional" powers. That way it can brag about enforcement, but protect the cash cows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom