Luke Benson | Syracusefan.com

Luke Benson

SWC75

Bored Historian
Through last year's Wake Forest game he had caught 11 passes for 233 yards and 5 TDs in his two year career. Since then he's caught 7 passes 23 yards and 0 scores. the longest catch has been for 6 yards. he had a couple of drops against Louisville, so some of it may be his fault but maybe the lack of use contributes to that.

Through last year's Wake Forest game he had caught 11 passes for 233 yards and 5 TDs in his two year career. Since then he's caught 7 passes 23 yards and 0 scores. the longest catch has been for 6 yards. he had a couple of drops against Louisville, so some of it may be his fault but maybe the lack of use contributes to that.

At this point, I think everyone needs to accept either:

1. He's not as good as everyone thinks he is.
2. If he is as good as everyone thinks he is, this offense just isn't going to utilize TEs the way everyone wants them to.

I bet it's a combo of the two. We had a receiving type TE leave after 3 weeks of his first preseason practice because the role didn't align with the recruiting pitch (his words not mine or the coaches).

i sense a call to coaches corner.

maxresdefault-1.jpg

2. If he is as good as everyone thinks he is, this offense just isn't going to utilize TEs the way everyone wants them to.

I bet it's a combo of the two. We had a receiving type TE leave after 3 weeks of his first preseason practice because the role didn't align with the recruiting pitch (his words not mine or the coaches).

Yeah, when I saw the thread title I thought it was another portal entry. I still think it will come down to that. Hoping for an integral TE in our passing game is seemingly less and less likely to become a reality. Please prove me wrong Dino…

Mentally, and this means zero, but I have moved on to Steven Mahar. Benson is a curious case, but it just has never happened.

Coach didn’t drop the ball. This was his chance and he blew it big time.

Seems like Sterlin has single-handedly negated our TE recruiting for the past few years. Benson, Mahar, and Morris are the diametrically opposite type of TE we should be bringing in. Considering that he basically doesn't use the TE position in the passing game, like at all.

This…is maddening.

It is beyond maddening. We have the personnel to run 12 personnel and be impossible to match up against. Play nickle? We keep the tight ends on the line and run it down your throat. Outside zone, y power, double arc. Guard Mang with a safety? Curls and digs to the death. Guard Benson with a linebacker? Verticals and posts. And how about those wide receiver screens out of a 2-man stack with Mang and Benson as the lead blockers?

Mentally, and this means zero, but I have moved on to Steven Mahar. Benson is a curious case, but it just has never happened.
Hes wasted talent. Kid get a look once every 5 games. Total joke. This staff doesn't know their own talent. Heck Tucker wouldn't have seen the field if not for Adams and Howard opting out.

It's possible Benson drops the ball in practice too and that's why he doesn't get his number called a lot. But i'm willing to bet based on Gilbert's history he just doesn't like utilizing the TE which is bothersome.

You get "thrown to" once every 3rd weekend...drops are to be expected.
Practice will take you just so far. Game speed and hits are at a different level.
Believe me...I'm not condoning or excusing drops. But this is why you play the Albanys and Ohios.
Timing, looking the ball into your hands, different backgrounds...takes repetitions...especially in traffic.

how do we know the TEs are being thrown to. who is reviewing the plays to decide who the primary person is? Maybe he is the first read often and is not open.

Confidence comes from eliminating the element of surprise to your offensive players. Seem like it's only been eliminated for the opposing defenses. Seems like the opposing defense knows whats coming on every play and when we try to surprise them we end up surprising our own thus drops, missed assignments and bad decisions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom