Class of 2020 - Luke Staudt (NY: West Genny) Goalie to Loyola | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 Luke Staudt (NY: West Genny) Goalie to Loyola

W'boro'Cuse315

All American
A name to keep an eye on. Starting goalie for West Genny as a Freshman. Solid stats through 2 games. Held Caz to 1 goal while making 11 saves on Tuesday.

Looks up to our current Redshirting Ohio St. transfer G Willie Klan, who will compete to be our starter next year. Klan volunteers with Staudt's SweetLax summer club program. We don't have a G verbal in the 2020 class yet.

IMG_0927.PNG

You would think a west Genesee goalie would look up to the best goalie in the world, who also went to his high school. Looking forward to seeing him play. Hoping he develops into the next great WG goalie for SU.

You would think a west Genesee goalie would look up to the best goalie in the world, who also went to his high school. Looking forward to seeing him play. Hoping he develops into the next great WG goalie for SU.
I'm sure he idolizes Galloway but, with him coaching down at Jacksonville, it's certainly possible that he's never met him. I'm much more concerned that his favorite food is corn...honestly never heard anyone say that before...live a little, kid :)

just as long as he doesn't idolize Quint we're good :)
All bs aside, he was a great goalie back in the day. He had an awesome defense in front of him, but he was very good. He doesn't get as much credit because he followed probably the best modern goalie, Larry Quinn, but quint was one of the 15 best ever when he finished at Hopkins.

All bs aside, he was a great goalie back in the day. He had an awesome defense in front of him, but he was very good. He doesn't get as much credit because he followed probably the best modern goalie, Larry Quinn, but quint was one of the 15 best ever when he finished at Hopkins.

it's like idolizing Patrick Ewing and Chris Mullin ...

Back in the summer of ’87 he was a camp counselor at West Point lacrosse camp and during the camp all-star game, where we played against the counselors and coaches, my middie line scored a couple of goals on him and he was crying like a baby that they were lucky shots. He was a great goalie but he’s always been an arrogant baby.

it's like idolizing Patrick Ewing and Chris Mullin ...

Back in the summer of ’87 he was a camp counselor at West Point lacrosse camp and during the camp all-star game, where we played against the counselors and coaches, my middie line scored a couple of goals on him and he was crying like a baby that they were lucky shots. He was a great goalie but he’s always been an arrogant baby.
Sounds about right. I would never get in the goal for those games. Always a no win situation.

Loving the insight in this thread :p

I've warmed up to Quint over the years. He adds value to broadcasts, doesn't split hairs or kiss butt...just tells it like it is. He goes out of his way to overcompensate & be extra critical of Hopkins, something, IMO, Carc could use just a touch more of when discussing 'Cuse.

Last edited:
Reaction from players who shined from @Sweetlax_Lax Summer Showcase - Top Lax Recruits

There might not be a more storied high school lacrosse program in the entire country than West Genesee (N.Y.).

There definitely isn’t a coach with more wins than West Genny’s Mike Messere, who has more than 800 career wins and will retire after next season.

Here’s a lengthy list of goalies who have started as freshmen during Messere’s tenure: Luke Staudt.

That’s it.

After watching the SweetLax 2020 goalie, it’s not hard to see why he made history. He earned a spot in the SweetLax Showcase All-Star Game Saturday after helping SweetLax to a 2-1 record Saturday.

“I’d say definitely my communication has been the biggest thing,” Staudt said. “I’ve become a lot clearer and a lot more specific. I thought I was seeing the ball pretty well and our defense played pretty well, for the most part. They helped me out a lot.”

There might not be a goalie that will be more in demand on Sept. 1, 2018.

Speaking of Messere retiring is there any talk about who's going to replace him?

Speaking of Messere retiring is there any talk about who's going to replace him?
Here are some names I have heard:
Marc Cizenski, played at WG and Lemoyne, head coach at Marcellus.
Kevin Hennigan, played at WG and Geneseo, current girls coach at WG.
Eric Burns, played at WG and Hobart, current modified coach at WG.
Those were just people talking, no idea of their actual interest. I am sure I will hear more names over the summer, but that it so far. Too bad the two best options are nearing retirement. Tom Donahue is an awesome coach for the JV team and Bob Deegan has been Messeres assistant for probably 30+ years.

Those were just people talking, no idea of their actual interest. I am sure I will hear more names over the summer, but that it so far. Too bad the two best options are nearing retirement. Tom Donahue is an awesome coach for the JV team and Bob Deegan has been Messeres assistant for probably 30+ years.

yeah Deegan is as old as Messere. Thanks for the heads up keep us posted.

Do candidates within the school system have a preference for coaching jobs in NY schools? That's something I've seen here in Connecticut.

If I had to make a prediction I'd go with Eric Burns...First off his brother is the AD at West Genesee, he coaches about 5-6 different teams for West Genny and would end up being the coach for the next 30 years

A Breakdown Of The Top Recruits At SweetLax Invitational

Luke Staudt ’20, G, SweetLax / West Genesee (N.Y.)
You know you’re skilled when you do something that nobody has ever done in West Genny’s incredible history. Staudt did just that when he became the first freshman starting goalie under legendary coach Mike Messere, and it’s not hard to see how he earned that job. He’s already six-feet-tall and is as fundamentally sound as it gets, especially for such a young ‘keeper, and he doesn’t seem to get rattled by much. He was already garnering significant Division I interest before the recruiting rule change, so expect him to be a hot commodity.

Really hope we're on this kid hard. I'd hate to see Tambroni swoop in & steal him.

Galloway 2 - we need to lock this kid down!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom