Luke Winn's(SI) Top 16 Backcourts | Syracusefan.com

Luke Winn's(SI) Top 16 Backcourts

Doesn't really matter, but when was the last time that both the front court and the back court were rated top 15's in the country. Seems like it is either one or the other.

yea i saw that and its pretty embarrassing on his part. su has more depth in the backcourt and proven talent than almost any school on that list. I think winn's main point is hes not high on the cuse and is on a mission to show the world

I like that people get worked up over these things. I don't know Luke Wynn but I sincerely doubt he has some sort of grudge against the cuse. We've had people -- cuse fans on this board -- saying Jardine is a well below-average PG, Triche is not exactly a darling on this board and we're all aware of the off-court and (sometimes) on-court antics of Waiters. I like all three, I know the frosh are highly rated and I think you could make a case for it being a top 10 backcourt. BUT there are some issues and red flags here as well. I don't think it's insane to put them at 15.

Thets see
5th year senior scoop.
4th year jr mookie.
3rd year jr triche
2nd year sophmore honerable mention AA Dion
1st year freshmen AA MCW
1st year freshmen Cooney(who acording to Gmac is maybe the best shooter he has ever seen and we have seen the trick shot clips of his).

Deepest backcourt in the country our deepest backcourt ever probably. With experience athleticism and multidimentionality. Three guys who played leadership roles last year who are playing next to a perimeter orientated Kris Joseph(maybe the best isolation SF in the country).

Yeah ok, were barely top 15 :crazy:

I like that people get worked up over these things. I don't know Luke Wynn but I sincerely doubt he has some sort of grudge against the cuse. We've had people -- cuse fans on this board -- saying Jardine is a well below-average PG, Triche is not exactly a darling on this board and we're all aware of the off-court and (sometimes) on-court antics of Waiters. I like all three, I know the frosh are highly rated and I think you could make a case for it being a top 10 backcourt. BUT there are some issues and red flags here as well. I don't think it's insane to put them at 15.

Yeah I agree. I love how whenever a writer doesn't have glowing things to say about us, he's automatically against us.

OSU loses the nation's best shooter and a 5th year David Lighty and they're the 4th best in the nation?

Do we have anyone who's a dead on count it 3 point shooter? I don't think we do, and that concerns me. When we won the championship we had Gerry, Melo, and Kueth. Oh, and Billy!

i just said he doesnt like this team, and judging from the rankings of our frontcourts and backcourts its a reasonable jump. Every year we have writers that dont like our teams; glockner, parrish. Wynn might be that guy this year, we'll see

i just said he doesnt like this team, and judging from the rankings of our frontcourts and backcourts its a reasonable jump. Every year we have writers that dont like our teams; glockner, parrish. Wynn might be that guy this year, we'll see

Or maybe he just doesn't agree with your assessment of the team?

But even so, #11 front court, #15 back court, that probably adds up to a top 10 team or so. And he doesn't like us? Well then we're gonna have a pretty damn good year.

Maybe it's semantics, but I really don't that just because a certain writer doesn't have the same assessment of a team as the posters on the teams message board do means he doesn't "like" us. (btw, of course it's entirely possible Luke Winn doesn't like us). You go to most message boards, and you'll generally find a few things; 1) people overrating their team, 2) people complaining that (insert writer here) "hates" us because he doesn't agree with 1), and 3) people hating on the coach.

Throughout this year, I can promise you people on here will post stuff like "cant believe what random ESPN tv guy said about us" based on a seemingly innocuous comment.

So maybe I overreacted a little here. I may have interpreted it more like Winn has a vendetta or whatever against us because of this ranking, when you just meant he doesn't like the team as much as we may. Still doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't like us, but my fault.

Even though Ohio State lost some people, I like Craft and Buford (not sure beyond them though). Florida is LOADED in the backcourt and Duke is as well. I am no expert, but those are my top three, the rest are a crapshoot.

When has such a talented team had so many question marks? I've got no problem with the #14 rating. It may even be true once in a while. At other times SU's backcourt may play like a top 5 backcourt or better. But at the risk of being drawn and quartered...1 - no drop dead deadeye shooter (Cooney is likely too far down the rotation this year, and don't bring up Mookie) 2 - not a true PG in the bunch. Possibly the best collection of combo guards ever assembled on one team. Most games that will be more than enough.

We have nice college players in our backcourt. That is it. Can our top 3 guards have great years? Yes! Will they all? Unlikely. Hell, last year we had two guys who didn't want to share with the 3rd and you guys are worried that we are UNDERRATED! I think, as a whole, based upon performances to date, not on the if-come and prayer, Cuse is vastly over-rated in the pre-season. Also, I think that anyone who relies on freshman in making a ranking is an idiot.

He could just be ignorant of us.
He does only list 4 of our 6 guards.

He also has Pitt, Louisville, Uconn, Vanderbilt ahead of us. He lists us and lousiville behind uconn and Pitt. I kind of dissagree there. He only has two players listed for pitt as it is. And Napier and boatright with lamb at 7.

Vanderbilt for example returns Jenkins and Tinsley a decent point guard. Then a freshmen three star freshmen as their third man instead of MCW a 5 star AA as our 4th behind our sophmore jerry stackhouse(dion waiters). And we still have cooney a better three star gunner then their 3rd man probably, and mookie a 4th year Jr. Yet they got 9th 6 spots better.

Well everybody has their own opinion i suppose.

He could just be ignorant of us.
He does only list 4 of our 6 guards.

He also has Pitt, Louisville, Uconn, Vanderbilt ahead of us. He lists us and lousiville behind uconn and Pitt. I kind of dissagree there. He only has two players listed for pitt as it is. And Napier and boatright with lamb at 7.

Vanderbilt for example returns Jenkins and Tinsley a decent point guard. Then a freshmen three star freshmen as their third man instead of MCW a 5 star AA as our 4th behind our sophmore jerry stackhouse(dion waiters). And we still have cooney a better three star gunner then their 3rd man probably, and mookie a 4th year Jr. Yet they got 9th 6 spots better.

Well everybody has their own opinion i suppose.

I like the way you worded And Napier and boatright with lamb at 7. Lamb with almost anyone else makes this a very tough combination. I'll go so far as to say that Lamb will be one of the top three players in the BE this year and possibly the best.

This thread could mark the official start of the us vs. the media season.

Jim Burr threads to follow.

This thread could mark the official start of the us vs. the media season.

Jim Burr threads to follow.

I heard JB just threw a brick through Mike Waters' window!

I heard JB just threw a brick through Mike Waters' window!

Thats not JB's style he'll just belittle him and make it seem like he asked the dumbest question ever in one of his post game interviews if he gets POed at Mike.

...I think you could make a case for it being a top 10 backcourt. BUT there are some issues and red flags here as well. I don't think it's insane to put them at 15.

I agree.

I think one reason for the disagreement in the thread is the difference in how certain teams are composed. IMO SU has a group of pretty good players who might be 2nd team all-conference if they have great years. Other teams, for example Wisconsin, might have a single surefire 1st or 2nd team all-american and a few role players.

If I were doing the rating, I think I'd prefer to have the second option simply because a surefire all-american is (obviously) a rarer commodity. As an SU fan, I definitely prefer the second option because you know Boeheim will play his best players 35+ minutes per game.

I'm kind of in the who cares where we are rated group. I mean do I think we have a deeped more talented backcourt than some ahead of us on that list? sure. But we do have questions and while I expect Scoop and Brandon to really mature into fine guards this season I kind of expected that last season and it didn't quite happen.

We will just have to see what happens on the court.

The Big Question is do we have a guy that is not only willing, but also capable of, stepping up and putting the team on his back in crunch time and generally whenever the team needs a pick me up in a game. So far the guys on this roster have not shown themselves to be players capable of doing that. Without that guy we may win games and achieve an in-season ranking that gets pretty lofty, but we aren't likely to get to the second weekend come March.

our deepest backcourt ever probably.

Ahem. Pearl, Sherm, Raf Addison, Greg Monroe (1986).

15 seems low, and I don't like Luke Winn (no, I'm not one of those nuts who jumps all over someone who's critical of SU -- Andrea Adelson, Seth Davis sometimes, Mike Wilbon once, Bilas once -- but I think his writing and analysis leave something to be desired). But these rankings matter about 100 times less than the AP preseason poll, which matters not at all.

It's all good. We've got three good returning guards. They'll probably show Luke Winn a thing or two. Or maybe they won't. Either way, just another dumb list.