Magnitude of This Year's Clemson Game | Syracusefan.com

Magnitude of This Year's Clemson Game

Doc5120

Starter
I'm curious just how important everyone thinks this game is. I'm having a hard time recalling a more hyped regular season game in SU football history. I really feel this one particular game could go a long way to changing the perception of the program on a national level.

What other games in the past had this feel? A couple that come to mind for me would be WVU in '87 & Miami in '92. I was only 5 & 10 years old for those games, so I'm making an assumption on the WVU game. I remember Miami being a really big deal. In my adult lifetime, I'm not sure I can recall another one. What am I missing/forgetting?

I curious just how important everyone thinks this game is. I'm having a hard time recalling a more hyped regular season game in SU football history. I really feel this one particular game could go a long way to changing the perception of the program on a national level.

What other games in the past had this feel? A couple that come to mind for me would be WVU in '87 & Miami in '92. I was only 5 & 10 years old for those games, so I'm making an assumption on the WVU game. I remember Miami being a really big deal. In my adult lifetime, I'm not sure I can recall another one. What am I missing/forgetting?
Maybe @ Ohio State for first road game of 1988? SU's OL was getting all kinds of accolades and the team was obviously coming off a phenomenal '87 season, but limped out of Columbus defeated 26-9. SU went on to have another great season, losing I think one more game to W. Virginia BUT winning at PSU. The road trip to Columbus was the first for me and it was a lot of fun. Better yet was the road trip to PSU. I remember sitting in one of their cow pasture parking lots after the game and listening to the PSU call-in show and hearing some fans crying on the phone that they couldn't believe they lost to SU two years in a row. Anyway I think the media expectation for SU @ OSU was extremely high in '88.

Assuming we win the first two (which is a big if, I'm not taking anything for granted) I think this will be the most anticipated game since 1998 Tennessee. That game sold out in a matter of hours and had a ton of build-up all summer.

Assuming we win the first two (which is a big if, I'm not taking anything for granted) I think this will be the most anticipated game since 1998 Tennessee. That game sold out in a matter of hours and had a ton of build-up all summer.

I remember that one all too vividly. What an atmosphere that was though. Hopefully Clemson is the same or better.

If we can win, this could be the biggest game in decades. ACC championship in the balance.

I'm curious just how important everyone thinks this game is. I'm having a hard time recalling a more hyped regular season game in SU football history. I really feel this one particular game could go a long way to changing the perception of the program on a national level.

we need to win the 1st 2 games

The Most important game took place WAY before most posters were even born. I remember my Dad screaming at the TV when SU played Texas in the Cotton bowl. Thank you Ernie Davis for our National Championship. And thank you Dad for not having a heart attack until 30 years later.

Love you being real about the first 2 games which could be challenging and i believe on a scale of 1-10 with 1 being Wagner in the dome and 10 being at Bama; these games both fall into the same category of super competitive and around a 6. It's gonna be fun!

we need to win the 1st 2 games

I certainly agree with that. And I'm not taking anything for granted. But this game already has lots of buzz and I thought it would be an interesting topic to discuss.

Last edited:
The Most important game took place WAY before most posters were even born. I remember my Dad screaming at the TV when SU played Texas in the Cotton bowl. Thank you Ernie Davis for our National Championship. And thank you Dad for not having a heart attack until 30 years later.

Which is why I specified regular season game. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom