making a list of the weird things babers does with clock management | Syracusefan.com

making a list of the weird things babers does with clock management

Millhouse

Living Legend
I'm too lazy now but wildhack needs a just the facts run down of the crazy things babers does in clock and score management

It was beyond stupid to wait to kick the fg that long. You can't recover an onside kick in less than 4 seconds. Ditto for the two point conversions he passed on. Make them and you might need fewer possessions. Miss them, oh well, you don't need more possessions. When you're down that much late, you need everything to go right.

It's getting to the point where Wildhack should say to him, look, we want to keep you but you suck at this one thing so we're going to have a smart person tell you what to do in certain contexts and if you don't you're gone

last night, kicking FG late, time out before a punt, no 2pt attempts

florida state - leaving injured qb in but not going on 4th and 2 down big. not calling timeout to score at the end.

ND 4th and 7 with hobbled qb 1:18 left in half - go for it?

clemson first drive, needs to take a timeout to decide what to do on 4th and 3 at the clemson 28
4th and 3 at clemson 43 punt (maybe leave it off because people might disagree)

i have to go threads to find the examples of them snapping early for no reason, I know they're there.

there is serious consensus here about this boneheadedness. it's such an easy fix. know it's not your strength and defer to someone who understands

I'm too lazy now but wildhack needs a just the facts run down of the crazy things babers does in clock and score management

It was beyond stupid to wait to kick the fg that long. You can't recover an onside kick in less than 4 seconds. Ditto for the two point conversions he passed on. Make them and you might need fewer possessions. Miss them, oh well, you don't need more possessions. When you're down that much late, you need everything to go right.

It's getting to the point where Wildhack should say to him, look, we want to keep you but you suck at this one thing so we're going to have a smart person tell you what to do in certain contexts and if you don't you're gone

florida state - leaving injured qb in but not going on 4th and 2 down big. not calling timeout to score at the end.

clemson first drive, needs to take a timeout to decide what to do on 4th and 3 at the clemson 28

i have to go threads to find the examples of them snapping early for no reason, I know they're there.

there is serious consensus here about this boneheadedness. it's such an easy fix. know it's not your strength and defer to someone who understands
Agree there are enough other things going against us that we can’t control, it’d really help if Dino could get out of his own way.

Last night. End of the first half. SU has the ball inside the 10 with less than 2 minutes to go. 3 consecutive pass plays one incomplete 2 sacks with little time off the clock. Sets up a missed 52 yard field goal. And gave Wake enough time to run the field and score a TD to give them the lead at the half 24 to 21.

Last night. End of the first half. SU has the ball inside the 10 with less than 2 minutes to go. 3 consecutive pass plays one incomplete 2 sacks with little time off the clock. Sets up a missed 52 yard field goal. And gave Wake enough time to run the field and score a TD to give them the lead at the half 24 to 21.
Shrader needs to throw the ball away there. He knows better

Remember UVa. Driving inside the 10 late for winning fg; all we need to do is run a play or two to position the ball. Instead drop back pass and sack for loss.

Dino’s biggest weakness is that he will not admit or acknowledge a weakness. That will be his kryptonite.

He talks about green and growing, but to grow is to change and to change is admission of something that you thought was a good idea that turned out not to be a great idea.

I have literally never heard the man say ‘upon further reflection I wish I had not made that call, called that timeout, played that lineup so long, stayed with that game plan so long etc’. Never, not once.

Every change he makes is 2-3 years after the rest of us see it. The next change better be in S&C. He has the guy who was assistant S&C coach during the 90’s In the building, and I bet he doesn’t even realize it. One of the most healthy periods for our sports teams ever. Corey is a savant with injury prevention, giving it it’s proper due.

Clock management, game management and penalties are ultimately the downfall of every season Dino has been here. I was firmly on board the keep Dino train, but it’s hard to ignore that these are the same issues every season going back to when Dungey was here.

Last year he cost us a few times. We might have made a Bowl if not for his poor decisions.

I don't think Dino will survive much longer. I really think he need an intelligent SU guy to be HC and leave the O and D to the coordinators. We can pay them big $ while getting the home town discount for the HC. It doesn't even need to be a current HC. I think a guy like McPherson would work, not that he is interested. That will provide us with stability.

Alabama pays Saban 10 million and he has a literal army to do those things.
Did not know that. So these “advisors” don’t count as coaches? Thinking of the limit of total coaches allowed.

The bottom line is he’s a bad head coach. We make excuses for him because he’s such a good guy but he’s just not good. I can’t think of a worse coach to lead my team in the closing minutes of a big time close game.

If you are paying a man $4 million and then you have to hire someone to help his decision making...
I was going to say so Dino stay away from the D, the O, Specials, and clock management. Cash checks for totally ignoring and or confusing people in press conferences...what are we doing here.

Alabama pays Saban 10 million and he has a literal army to do those things.
Good comparison. Dino to Saban and Bama program to ours. Not sure it's the same thing.

His job, not calling O or D, is game management. He has been poor in this area. If you don’t understand these principles, they’re not difficult to learn. If you don’t want to learn them, you have a staff member focus on them and advise. If you don’t have a staff member to monitor and advise, then you’ll most likely continue to make poor decisions in these situations.

Hindsight’s always 20/20, but it’s kind of baffling how many poor decisions have been made over his tenure. It’s a problem that can be remedied in short order. A P5 program should not struggle in this area.

Dino’s biggest weakness is that he will not admit or acknowledge a weakness. That will be his kryptonite.

He talks about green and growing, but to grow is to change and to change is admission of something that you thought was a good idea that turned out not to be a great idea.

I have literally never heard the man say ‘upon further reflection I wish I had not made that call, called that timeout, played that lineup so long, stayed with that game plan so long etc’. Never, not once.

Every change he makes is 2-3 years after the rest of us see it. The next change better be in S&C. He has the guy who was assistant S&C coach during the 90’s In the building, and I bet he doesn’t even realize it. One of the most healthy periods for our sports teams ever. Corey is a savant with injury prevention, giving it it’s proper due.
I doubt it's getting presented to him, especially by someone who can can him

At this point what is Dino's function? (other than to f#$k things up) If White has control of the D, Anea and Beck got the O and allegedly we have a ST coach. And if these bonehead decisions aren't his then whoever is making those call needs to be releived of his/or her duties and if HCDB doesn't do that then he is ultimately responsible.

Good comparison. Dino to Saban and Bama program to ours. Not sure it's the same thing.

Context.

Throwing out the 4 million dollar figure doesn't mean anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom