Maliq Brown: Starter? | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Brown: Starter?

Niastri

Two Time Iggy Award Winner: Edwards for Three!
This is quoted from sutomcat's excellent "My Take" thread of the Wagner game of the football side.

"Benny Williams was the featured guest. He is very down to earth, and very modest. Was down to answer any question. Another great young man,

Asked him who he thought was going to start this season. He immediately said Joe, Jesse, Judah, himself and Maliq.

Then he thought about it for a sec and added, or maybe Chris instead of Maliq. It depends on whether I play small forward or power forward.

In his civilian clothes, he looked skinny. So skinny I wonder how much he is going to be able to play power forward this season.

Said his roommates this year are Judah, Chris and Shane (walk on Shane Feldman).

Said the team is working hard on playing man and zone in practice and thinks the team is really going to play man this year. Thinks this is being driven because it takes a long time to learn how to play zone and with all the new players, there isn’t time to get them all familiar with the zone."

It sounds like Brown is a dark horse candidate to start. The only data point in my mind that says it's possible is a clip from the spring showing him hitting a few corner threes in a row. If he's our most physically prepared freshman forward to get rebounds, and he can defend well, his only real missing skill is to be able to hit the wide open three when given the chance... If he's impressed in preseason practice, why couldn't he win the starting forward spot?

(Or does this mean everybody else is disappointing, leaving Brown as the best choice)

If Brown is a starter, we would have two starters that can't shoot. I don't see it.
I agree... But what if Brown's an acceptable spot up 3 point shooter and better at all the other things we need from our forwards?

Benny is not a 3 and Brown will not start. My money is on Bunch or Taylor starting at the 3.

That’s where I’m at and I’m thinking it’ll be Bunch starting at the 3.

If Brown is a starter, we would have two starters that can't shoot. I don't see it.
I hear you on this. I don't think Maliq is going to be a big scorer. Not this year anyway.

But...what if Bunch and Taylor are not able to shoot from the outside as frosh? What if they struggle to score period their first year of college basketball?

From what I hear, Maliq is our best defensive forward already. By quite a large margin.

I am confident he is our best rebounder at forward. By a large margin.

He is our best shot blocker at forward. By a large margin.

And I think he is our best passing forward. By a large margin.

He does a lot of things that help a team win. That tends to result in more playing time.

Note that I am not saying Maliq is starting. I don't know and won't have an opinion until I see the team actually play in that tip off thing and the two exhibitions.

But if he does, I think it will be because of the things noted above.

Last edited:
Wow, I'm a bit shocked by this. Definitely worried about scoring but it would be a much better defense. Whether or not Maliq starts, it sounds like he's going to get significant minutes.

I hear you on this. I don't think Maliq is going to be a big scorer. Not this year anyway.

But...what if Bunch and Taylor are not able to shoot from the outside as frosh? What if they struggle to score period their first year of college basketball?

From what I hear, Maliq is our best defensive forward already. By quite a large margin.

He does a lot of things that help a team win. That tends to result in more playing time.

Note that I am not saying Maliq is starting. I don't know and won't have an opinion until I see the team actually play in that tip off thing and the two exhibitions.

Benny is a really good passer...have a hard time imagining any of the forwards being a better passer than him by a large margin. But I hear you though

Fine with it. If he’s the best of the 3, let him play. Best passer seems like a stretch.

Sounds like Maliq "could" steal Bennys minutes.

Benny is a really good passer...have a hard time imagining any of the forwards being a better passer than him by a large margin. But I hear you though
Really? He had the worst assist percentage of any player on the team last year.

Will, if we have a team of good passers who can't shoot, that means lots of guys to get Girard open shots... Is that a good thing?

Sounds like Maliq "could" steal Bennys minutes.
That's the other possibility once the season gets going. Could end up being Maliq and Chris half way through the season. Hopefully Benny is ready. Sounds like we have 4 forwards who will play, each of which have certain weaknesses that make them susceptible to losing minutes as we get into ACC play.

Really? He had the worst assist percentage of any player on the team last year.
it's because of the role and instructions he was given on the court last year that his assist numbers were low.

watch him play...he can be a great passer...he already is just isn't asked to do that on the court for the Orange. or hasn't been yet.

His passing ability was perhaps the thing that stood out most to me last season.

team had no 1 on 1 players last year so that was what he was asked to do but wasn't ready to score alone vs entire defenses.

it's because of the role and instructions he was given on the court last year that his assist numbers were low.

watch him play...he can be a great passer...he already is just isn't asked to do that on the court for the Orange. or hasn't been yet.

His passing ability was perhaps the thing that stood out most to me last season.

team had no 1 on 1 players last year so that was what he was asked to do but wasn't ready to score alone vs entire defenses.
Agree… nice little shovel passes to Jesse

?? I didn't say he couldn't do any of those things. Just that if he does start, we will have two guys that can't shoot in the starting lineup. And in today's basketball, that makes it hard to win.

Brown starting would make sense, if Benny could provide SF type of offensive contributions.

Doesn't appear that he can, so him "playing" power forward is more based upon his limitations than him being physically suited for that role.

Taylor or Bunch playing alongside Benny would give us at least a player better suited to play the wing.

But Brown is a good player -- much better than his recruiting ranking -- and a natural 4. I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that Benny ends up losing time to JT / Bunch, with Brown starting. Not predicting that's how it will play out, but its a possibility.

?? I didn't say he couldn't do any of those things. Just that if he does start, we will have two guys that can't shoot in the starting lineup. And in today's basketball, that makes it hard to win.
I agree that lineup will be offensively challenged. No question it could use another scorer as a starter.

I have confidence Judah will be able to get shots and points from day one.

I am not so sure about Bunch and Taylor. Not saying they won't. But I think there is a distinct possibility one or both might struggle some.

If none of them emerge as a reliable scorer, I think you play the one that contributes the most in other ways. Though I am sure all of them are going to play a lot regardless.

Defense and rebounding is the key here I think. Additionally, if Benny is just flat out struggling offensively need those things from him and thus whoever is better at those things matters.

Joe, Jesse and Judah score and hope the rest can do enough while defending and rebounding.

Brown starting would make sense, if Benny could provide SF type of offensive contributions.

Doesn't appear that he can, so him "playing" power forward is more based upon his limitations than him being physically suited for that role.

Taylor or Bunch playing alongside Benny would give us at least a player better suited to play the wing.

But Brown is a good player -- much better than his recruiting ranking -- and a natural 4. I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that Benny ends up losing time to JT / Bunch, with Brown starting. Not predicting that's how it will play out, but its a possibility.

You beat me to it as I didn't see your post before replying but I am really starting to wonder of Brown is more getting time at Benny's expense than the other two frosh. I still love Benny's potential but if he comes out and struggles to catch, finish and defend, we need to win this year. Whatever it takes. Hopefully he quietly grabs the bull by the horns and doesn't fade back onto the bench.

PT with this young group might simply be who's playing well at the time and who's not. To add to that, it also may be matchups offensively and defensively, especially if they are going man. Curious to see which one gets Boeheimed as well...that quick hook.

If Brown is in crash the boards with him and Jessie hard. The other 3 better make sure they rotate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom