Maliq Brown, Worst charge call ever- needs its own thread | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Brown, Worst charge call ever- needs its own thread

FutureCuse

Walk On
If this thread gets deleted because it's not in the Georgia tech game thread I understand, but I elected to make a dedicated thread to what was the worst offensive charge call in Syracuse history in terms of mechanics, rule book- yes worse than the Brandon Triche vs Michigan in the Final 4.

What on earth was that referee thinking?!?! Is this the southern refs sticking it to Syracuse as usual? My Lord that was bad!

No lowering of the shoulder.
No good position by the defender.
He made the basket, which should count plus one!

Bad call. I’ll also say I previously said I don’t care if he starts, but Brown needs 25-30 minutes a game. Change that. He needs to freaking start.
He is getting better and better. I can't wait to be in Boston to see us there. Miami loss is so devastating but let's just keep the door open to NCAA, however slightly open it is. Great ending going on right now on ESPN between Duke and Miami.

94cd6777b7f26f1d6e8fbf671bffec0b.jpg

If this thread gets deleted because it's not in the Georgia tech game thread I understand, but I elected to make a dedicated thread to what was the worst offensive charge call in Syracuse history in terms of mechanics, rule book- yes worse than the Brandon Triche vs Michigan in the Final 4.

What on earth was that referee thinking?!?! Is this the southern refs sticking it to Syracuse as usual? My Lord that was bad!
That was ritht in front of where a bunch of us were sitting. Even worse call in person.

That was ritht in front of where a bunch of us were sitting. Even worse call in person.
Seriously I'm just blown away by how bad that call was. I immediately picked up my phone to discuss the absurdity of it w a friend who i know was also blown away. Just total disbelief that a defender can jump in front of an offensive driver and impede his path while literally jumping in front of him w zero position established. The first rule is you have to already be there, standing still. Just totally unbelievably bad.

Seriously I'm just blown away by how bad that call was. I immediately picked up my phone to discuss the absurdity of it w a friend who i know was also blown away. Just total disbelief that a defender can jump in front of an offensive driver and impede his path while literally jumping in front of him w zero position established. The first rule is you have to already be there, standing still. Just totally unbelievably bad.
Not to mention dangerous.

Even my wife commented that the defender wasn’t set.

The ball off of the Georgia Tech players face was an abomination as well.

We all know the worst call of all time was Froggy's charge from Michael Adams on Andre Hawkins.
You’re correct and it’s not even close. I was at an officials training session and they used Hawkins play as the perfect position for a charge call. I as still ticked off when I watched that BS call.

There's an assumption there.

Anybody have a video of said egregious call? I didn't get to watch the game.

I dont think Ted called this one
If he didn’t then he will be pissed off that someone else is grabbing his limelight for inane calls with hyper gesticulation. He doesn’t seem like someone who can handle having his TV show upstaged. It is a show with himself as the star isn’t it?

the reality is - refs - and especially ones like tv ted and his crew - (does he have to ref all cuse games?!??!?)

ref the game state and the standings and the rep of teams and home/away situation and ACC legacy etc

if you watch closely, there is usually one of the teams that gets away with everything and one of the teams that gets whistled for everything although it alternates throughout the game.

for instance -

when the road team opens up a lead and threatens to separate---- they are not getting calls!

for instance, if duke is involved in a charge block call - they are going to get the benefit of the doubt 80% of the time...unless they are winning by 20+

for instance, UVA doesnt get called for handchecking ever - but if an SU player is near an opponent at the rim and they are in the lead...good chance they are getting a foul called against them.

for instance - if the much more physical team had many more fouls called in the first half...they are likely to get away with physical play in the second half to "even it out"

these guys are sneaky - at opportune times they show their true colors...and then use moments in the game that are less impactful to even things out in the box score...I kn0w it sounds crazy...but I've watched too many decades of basketball to think anything else.

I wouldnt be surprised if refs talk amongst themselves and decide together which team they will favor for the 4 minutes...if they are like well we favored that team on some calls lets even it out now etc...

they arent just calling objectively. period...they are "massaging outcomes"

sometimes its one of three who seems to be particularly biased,,,sometimes its the whole crew

it sucks i hate it...but it is what it is.

home teams get calls

bluebloods get calls

the team trailing on the scoreboard gets calls

physical teams get away with more physical play

etc

i dont know if its some master conspiracy or simply unconscious bias or incompetence or some combo...but its clear to me

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom