Man of Steel | Syracusefan.com

Man of Steel

PeteCalvin

Hall of Fame
Has anyone else seen the latest trailer for this movie? It. Kicks. Ass. This will be the must-see movie of 2013. Not every reboot passes the test, but this one looks like a home run. Can't wait.

I guess I'm the only one who saw this then, huh? Well, ta hell with you guys then! You're the ones missing out! ;)

My only hesitation is that there's a short cut in super hero movies that says grim = better.

With Superman I'd like to see it go the other direction. Set it in the 30s, give it that Gee Whiz feel artistically. Make it bright and colorful. For the character I think it could really work.

Thefirst preview was short I wasn't to excited about it, but the new preview looked really good.
I never watched the one made about 6 years ago where lex takes over the earth. I hope they stay away from that plot.

My only hesitation is that there's a short cut in super hero movies that says grim = better.
You're right; dark super hero movies have become a cliche. Hopefully the El Dorado movie won't go that direction.

With Superman I'd like to see it go the other direction. Set it in the 30s, give it that Gee Whiz feel artistically. Make it bright and colorful. For the character I think it could really work.

I hear what you're saying. But I don't necessarily see this as a "dark" movie for the sake of being dark. I've read quite a few interviews on the project and every one of them seems to indicate that they wanted to ground this adaptation in a more realistic setting. How did Clark deal with his burgeoning powers as a child? It wouldn't have been easy, for sure. They wanted to show that. The trailer also seems to show the protective parent angle with the Kent's because they obviously are afraid of anyone finding out about him. All of this sets up Clark's journey into solitude (no pun), becoming a fisherman, etc., as he tries to come to terms with who and what he is, which he really doesn't know. Obviously we see in the trailer that the initial reaction by humanity is to fear him, which ties into him telling Lois about his father's fears that the world would do just that. Are they ready for him?

I think it's going to be a fascinating look into the character's psyche that we haven't seen before in any previous adaptation. I'm still a big fan of the Christopher Reeve character from movies 1 and 2, but this looks like it's going to be a fresh new twist on the story by really developing the character.

By the way, if you haven't seen the Richard Donner Cut of Superman II, you need to check it out. He clearly had a darker version of the General Zod story than what we saw in the camped-up Richard Lester version. Donner had pretty much shot the entire movie simultaneously with Superman, but there was a contract dispute with the Salkynd brothers and they canned him. They brought in Richard Lester who reshot almost everything. Gene Hackman refused to come back and reshoot his scenes because he believed the Donner movie was the way it should be. Anyway, the "Donner Cut" is worth a look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom