Man to man primary? | Syracusefan.com

Man to man primary?

SWC75

Bored Historian
This is already on the recruiting board but I post it here for one comment:

"He said he wants to be versatile on offense," Freeman said. "He feels like that fits my game. Defense, they're no longer going to run just the 2-3 zone that they're known for. They're going to deviate from that and go to man. Change the principles up a little bit. But he might, according to his words, switch to it sometimes but their primary defense will be man to man."

"He said he wants to be versatile on offense," Freeman said. "He feels like that fits my game. Defense, they're no longer going to run just the 2-3 zone that they're known for. They're going to deviate from that and go to man. Change the principles up a little bit. But he might, according to his words, switch to it sometimes but their primary defense will be man to man."
I find myself not caring at all what defense they play versus how well they really recruit. That is everything in the modern one-and-done/one-and-go college basketball era. Talent is everything.

I find myself not caring at all what defense they play versus how well they really recruit. That is everything in the modern one-and-done/one-and-go college basketball era. Talent is everything.
Agreed mostly - but it’s possible the zone was starting to hinder recruiting?

I’m fine with zone when it’s the best option. I couldn’t stand another minute of watching a small, slow team loaded with shooters and passers shredding it though.

I think Red will still occasionally use the zone to change things up. I doubt he plays the zone with his wings up high. You’re too vulnerable inside and on the boards. Use the zone to just make the other team adjust. This way there are less rotations and much easier to teach. His focus can be teaching man, but have a plan b to mix it up.

Red won’t play any zone at all. That’s what a few people here said.

Agreed mostly - but it’s possible the zone was starting to hinder recruiting?

I’m fine with zone when it’s the best option. I couldn’t stand another minute of watching a small, slow team loaded with shooters and passers shredding it though.
Maybe. Boeheim not being on the road as much couldn’t have helped.

As it should be.

Defense is situational, not a brand identity.
Situational and roster makeup. Trying to force a square peg in a round hole some years was very frustrating. Our zone was the best for so long, but even the best zone doesn’t hold up in the metrics of 3 pointer age. Let’s hope red takes the components of that killer zone plus playing great man and put them together like JB did so successfully in 90s

Red won’t play any zone at all. That’s what a few people here said.
He will adjust to whatever the situation is, that's the best way to play defense.

I think most people said Red won't play "all zone" not that he won't play it "at all."

A few did

There have been some high-scoring games in the tournament with both teams playing man-to-man.

And going to MTM will be a benefit to recruiting.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter what defense you play if you're not active, hands up, anticipating passing lanes. Our best years playing zone we were much more active than lately.
Judah was uninterested in defense, Joe was severely limited, Benny hasn’t moved his hands above his waist on defense since he started playing basketball, Bell is usually looking in the wrong direction while Jesse is flying corner to corner every defensive possession. I’m not for 100% zone but using this team or lasts years to discredit it isn’t fair to zone defense because you’re 100% right.

It doesn't matter what defense you play if you're not active, hands up, anticipating passing lanes. Our best years playing zone we were much more active than lately.
It does matter . A bad zone is worse than a bad man.

Judah was uninterested in defense, Joe was severely limited, Benny hasn’t moved his hands above his waist on defense since he started playing basketball, Bell is usually looking in the wrong direction while Jesse is flying corner to corner every defensive possession. I’m not for 100% zone but using this team or lasts years to discredit it isn’t fair to zone defense because you’re 100% right.
Judah was disinterested because the zone D didn’t play to his strengths

And going to MTM will be a be benefit to recruiting.
We‘ll also see who’s willing to guard people and be in position to help their teammates. Accountability will be easy to identify and excuses gone. JB liked to blame the forwards for everything and protect the guards.

Playing multiple defenses during a game is fine. I'd recommend it.
M2M...learning how to switch and/or fight through pics.
Learn to play a "match up" zone...maybe even a 1-3-1.
Press for pete's sake. Play D with intensity and give the other team
something to adjust to during a game. If CUSE does this, you'll have 25,000
fans waiting to erupt...you know, LIKE IT WAS 20 YEARS AGO!! The dome can be
a huge advantage. Quit making a home b-ball game like a trip to the dentist.
And get rid of the 2-3 zone. Every team knows how to attack it and MOST every team
has 2 to 3 players that can shoot well from beyond the arc.

Definitely looking forward to M2M. It gets an athletic team more fired up, passionate, and responsive vs pure zone. And even when they do situationally play zone next year, I’m sure it’ll still have “M2M principles”

Red to JB for the past 8 years: “we’re having trouble landing the elite players because they don’t want to play zone because the knock against us is that it will hurt their chances for the NBA”

JB’s response: “nonsense, they don’t know anything about basketball, they’re only 17 years old, we’re sticking with the zone”

(Recruiting dramatically falls off)

(Syracuse basketball performance dramatically falls off)

(JB retires, Red takes over)

Red to top 50 recruits as soon as he became the HC: “hey I’m the head coach now and we’re going to be primarily man, with a sprinkling of zone and press to remain versatile depending on the situation”

Top 50 recruits: “sounds great, I’ll add you back to my top 5 and I’ll come for a visit”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom