Man to man? | Syracusefan.com

Man to man?

GooseMutt

All Conference
Article today states Boeheim said he will play some man to man this year!

We have an offense that may be able to run. One that can shoot. Drive the lane.

Have our recruiting doors just swung wide open?

giphy.gif

Article today states Boeheim said he will play some man to man this year!

We have an offense that may be able to run. One that can shoot. Drive the lane.

Have our recruiting doors just swung wide open?

Based on the unsupported assumption that SU's Zone negatively affects recruiting?

There were some minor glimpses of it in Italy, but I'm not counting on a lot of it during the regular season. Press? Yes.

Listen JB is showing the fanbase he is adapting by saying this publicly.

Nobody wants to become a m2m team defensively but JB showing the willingness to atleast consider implementing in practice for games is great.

This is great even if we never use it.

Problem with playing zone is your offense is putrid against a good man defense since you don’t ever go against one in practice

Listen JB is showing the fanbase he is adapting by saying this publicly.

Nobody wants to become a m2m team defensively but JB showing the willingness to atleast consider implementing in practice for games is great.

This is great even if we never use it.
You actually think that JB cares about mollifying fans who think they are basketball coaches?

You actually think that JB is trying to mess with other coaches minds by flirting with M2M such that they start to preparing for SU differently than they would have?

I'll believe it when I see it in a meaningful game.

I think there is a possibility that he is considering it - for real - because that way he could get 3 guards on the floor and not be vulnerable along the back line of the zone.

I think another reason that it's possible is because of Edwards and JBA. Both are capable of becoming 3 point threats, and having a stretch 5 opens up a lot of possibilities for the offense.

I would think the defense vs starters is primarily mtm

maybe in the old days. he used to say most of their practices were done in man. but not anymore from what he says.

You actually think that JB cares about mollifying fans who think they are basketball coaches?

You actually think that JB is trying to mess with other coaches minds by flirting with M2M such that they start to preparing for SU differently than they would have?

for some reason, I actually believe that this is Swearingen replying and I read all your posts with his voice in my head. Its freaking intimidating.

Once in a while you play a team that is horrible vs man and just has shooters from 3 and the foul line and it would be conducive to play man vs them. It's not that often but playing a 7-11 ACC 1-8 record team that has those type of players, a little man might not hurt. There's no doubt Boeheim is the best at zone adjusts even those tiny little ones but once in a while you face that team that when it matches up vs the zone it's nice to change it up a little other than just pressing to change the flow of the game.

I don’t care if we play 90 percent zone. I just want that 10 when called on and needed in specific situations. I need change. I’m bored and frustrated

I don’t care if we play 90 percent zone. I just want that 10 when called on and needed in specific situations. I need change. I’m bored and frustrated

Well, that settles it.

Let's switch to a defense that opposing teams play themselves and that they face almost all the time to one that doesn't bore you.

Boeheim sez things.

I agree with this and most posts that are along the same lines (i.e. we won't play m2m in games that really matter). We are, as has been clearly playing out since 96, pretty unlikely to see much m2m period, even in games that should be easier for this group.

Having said that, it's an interesting comment relative to this specific team b/c it's not really a roster that plays into what we've done for much of the past decade or so which is to try and get extremely long, play suffocating zone and score enough to (hopefully) win.

I mean, Carey is a kid who is probably going to be at his best in transition/unsettled situations and while he's certainly not undersized he's not cut from the G/MCW/Brandon Triche (who played some point)/Frank mold of playing the point at 6'5"+. Girard is more of an off-ball player, at least at this point, and he's 6-foot essentially. Hughes is a little short by our zone standards at the 3 and not a particularly great defender that I could see ... at least last season.

So I don't know that any of that makes us better at man since we're not exceptionally quick but maybe? The other factor is that teams play man by switching everything now, which essentially turns it into more of a zone anyway, so I wonder if that might alter JB's thinking going forward?

Anyway, I agree, doubtful we'll see much man but I do wonder if JB might be headed toward employing a bit more of it moving forward.

Based on the unsupported assumption that SU's Zone negatively affects recruiting?
Common sense is my unsupported evidence. Not everyone wants to play zone, especially NBA bound kids. Can you say with 100 percent certainty that zone does not affect recruiting? just because you cannot prove a point does not mean that it is wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom