Mandel, Thamel, and 14 AD's select the 4 team playoff | Syracusefan.com

Mandel, Thamel, and 14 AD's select the 4 team playoff

First 4 out here as much bigger implications than that of the NCAA BB Tourney

No Big 12 and no ACC in the Top 8.

Very interesting for that fact alone. Do you think the 4-team play-off has long for this world?

No Big 12 and no ACC in the Top 8.

Very interesting for that fact alone. Do you think the 4-team play-off has long for this world?
Personally I think it will be 8 in the next 4 years.

"The thing that jumps out at me is that there are just four teams, it's not enough of a sample. I was not a proponent of going larger than four, and this changed my mind totally."

This to me speaks volumes. It indicates to me that many of these guys didn't think this whole thing through, just made assumptions, mostly on how things have always been done.

"I just think Texas A&M and Oregon would beat 'em," Smith said of the Wildcats. Asked if he would have said that even before the Baylor loss, Smith replied: "Yep, I would have."
What a pile of turd this is for Kstate.​
A 4 team playoff will last about 2 years. And, having an issue when you are the 5 and 6 teams is a whole lot better than the #2/3 debates of the BCS era. I'd rather see issues with the 9 and 10 teams complaining...​

Capping football at 4 is like limiting March madness to 12 or 16 teams. There are too many teams being left out that could really contend.

I've always thought this goes to 8 simply because i believe that, most years, there are more than four teams that could really win it all.
Based on this article, I would not be surprised to see it go to 12 or 16 teams.

Also interesting: The actual semi-final games. They matter. They are not just glorified exhibition games. That's the thing that's going to move the dial. Ratings for those games will be huge. Can't wait.

You know whats going to be funny, a lot of GOOD TEAMS are going to keep getting left out. When this expands to 8-12 teams, you'll need to cut back regular season. You cut back regular season, you know see your historical rivals even LESS becuase of these 14 team conferences, which means enough schools will get fed up and return back to smaller 8-10 team round robin conferences lol.

You know whats going to be funny, a lot of GOOD TEAMS are going to keep getting left out. When this expands to 8-12 teams, you'll need to cut back regular season. You cut back regular season, you know see your historical rivals even LESS becuase of these 14 team conferences, which means enough schools will get fed up and return back to smaller 8-10 team round robin conferences lol.

You could have 16 teams make it and still get all of the games in by New Years, including 12 game season and a couple bye weeks.

You could have 16 teams make it and still get all of the games in by New Years, including 12 game season and a couple bye weeks.

And when do the teams rest? Or go to actual college? Your talking a 16 game schedule now for top teams.

And when do the teams rest? Or go to actual college? Your talking a 16 game schedule now for top teams.

FCS already does this with 20 teams. Yes, they have a 10 game season, but it wouldn't me impossible for them, and FBS, to do a 12 week schedule.

And you could make the same argument with college BBall. Their season runs from end of October to end of March. Their season is actually longer.

Agree. How quickly depends on the amount of influence of those who are ultimately left out once this thing starts.

If Auburn and Tennessee (two schools with a tremendous amount of resources) get their act together, the SEC isn't going to let increased parity shut them out of this playoff party. The first time their actual conference champion has to play in the Sugar Bowl, with no one in the playoff, will probably be the last time.

Cut back the regular season. :crazy: That's rich.

My totally unofficial guess is that within the next few years the regular season will increase to 13 games. Maybe 14. These conferences are going to want more $$$, and if you stop expanding the other way to do that is increase inventory, that means more games. And then I suspect after the 4-team playoff goes for a while they'll realize adding another round will yield more $$$ too, so they'll go to 8 soon enough.

Not that quickly.
The upcoming contract is for 2 cycles of 6 years. I could see a change being made after the 6th year, possibly announced a couple of years earlier.

While I would like to see an 8-team playoff with the winner from the Big Five conferences (conference championship game required... sorry Big X/XII) and 3 at-large teams, I suspect that they'll simply have a committee with no automatic qualifiers. If the Big Five winners are all part of the playoff then the existing contract bowls can be used... 4 quarter-finals and 2 semi-finals. If they go to a "best 8" format via the committee then they'll still need some contract bowls for the case where a couple of the Big Five conferences are blocked out by the SEC.

This gives me zero faith that they will get it right. So the B12 arguably the hardest conf would not get a one loss champ in? And not only that they would be well out behind three 2 loss SEC teams? That is a joke. I love their reasoning too. Because of the margin of K St's loss. But at the same time these bozos do not want margin in the BCS calculations. There was way too much bias in this mock which tells me there will be bias when the real time comes. If it were Texas or OU instead there wouldn't even be a question.

This gives me zero faith that they will get it right.
Which is one more reason for going to 8 teams with 5 auto qualifiers... let the teams determine it on the field instead of the board room.

This gives me zero faith that they will get it right. So the B12 arguably the hardest conf would not get a one loss champ in? And not only that they would be well out behind three 2 loss SEC teams? That is a joke. I love their reasoning too. Because of the margin of K St's loss. But at the same time these bozos do not want margin in the BCS calculations. There was way too much bias in this mock which tells me there will be bias when the real time comes. If it were Texas or OU instead there wouldn't even be a question.

What?

The only team that has an argument to get into top 4 is UGA.

they really need to go back 5-10 years and apply the same logic to see whether 4-8-12-16 would be the best number. 4 was never the nest number just the easiest to get the change made.