March 1, 2020 | Syracusefan.com

March 1, 2020

That’s big news. Wow less than a year and the roof as we know will be retired for good.

Two questions...

1. Where will the women be hosting their opening round NCAA tournament games?
2. Will this impact commencement?

Good. This gives the university's contractors two extra months to do the job without impacting the football season. A little more wiggle room to address unanticipated problems is a good thing.

Two questions...

1. Where will the women be hosting their opening round NCAA tournament games?
2. Will this impact commencement?

1. OCC
2. OCC

My understanding is the current roof will not be removed until the new roof has been installed over top of it.
Good to know, I forgot about them phasing it. Makes sense, I’m curious to see what they will get accomplished in the first phase.

Good to know, I forgot about them phasing it. Makes sense, I’m curious to see what they will get accomplished in the first phase.

Phase I - roof, sound, lights, scoreboard. Possible enhanced / additional video boards

Last edited:
2. OCC
Only 1 or 2 guests per graduate indoors, or build a temporary grandstand for an outdoor ceremony. The Chiefs’ stadium might be a better solution.

Phase I - roof, sound, lights, scoreboard. Possible enhanced / additional video boards
I realize this might be a stupid question to some but I've always wondered how much of a significant difference are we going to tell in the sound system? I haven't been to a lot of stadiums so it's hard for me to compare. I just hope I'm impressed and it's very noticeable. Also looking foward to real intros with a center scoreboard for basketball and for it to be dark in there. That will be awesome! The intros arent that great in my personal opinion but to each their own.

I realize this might be a stupid question to some but I've always wondered how much of a significant difference are we going to tell in the sound system? I haven't been to a lot of stadiums so it's hard for me to compare. I just hope I'm impressed and it's very noticeable. Also looking foward to real intros with a center scoreboard for basketball and for it to be dark in there. That will be awesome! The intros arent that great in my personal opinion but to each their own.
If the sound system is intelligible, that will be a HUUUUGE improvement. And please get the one girl who does interviews some voice lessons!

My understanding is the current roof will not be removed until the new roof has been installed over top of it.
It would be ironic but oh-so-syracuse if they've planned everything out to the last detail... but forgot to include a strategy for removing the old bubble. Hope the new shell has a zipper or someone has some really large scissors.

It would be ironic but oh-so-syracuse if they've planned everything out to the last detail... but forgot to include a strategy for removing the old bubble. Hope the new shell has a zipper or someone has some really large scissors.
From my diminishing memory--once the new roof installation is finalized, they will disassemble the old roof structure (fabric, cables. etc) and remove it piece by piece.

From my diminishing memory--once the new roof installation is finalized, they will disassemble the old roof structure (fabric, cables. etc) and remove it piece by piece.
From what I know about the design of the new roof, this will not entirely be the case. If that is part of the logistics plan, it will require deflation, and then they will be draining the roof into the building so it doesn’t become a swimming pool. The new roof is more rigid, but still technically fabric and it will be in the same spot as the old. The main important difference is that rather than air inflated, it will be hung.

From what I know about the design of the new roof, this will not entirely be the case. If that is part of the logistics plan, it will require deflation, and then they will be draining the roof into the building so it doesn’t become a swimming pool. The new roof is more rigid, but still technically fabric and it will be in the same spot as the old. The main important difference is that rather than air inflated, it will be hung.

Also, when it's deflated it's a very heavy 6-acre sail that can't really be controlled. Once that thing's deflated, they're taking the fabric off right away.

Last edited:
In your opinion was it absolutely necessary from a cost and scheduling standpoint that they had to go with this design instead of the one that was originally leaked (that blew everyone away)?

AdeptFarBlackandtancoonhound-small.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom