Marcus Smart versus Jeff Orr | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Marcus Smart versus Jeff Orr

Criminal charges are unlikely because what law would it be? And second, do you honestly think he said "piece of crap". That was pure spin to save his life. I be he said the N word and the people around him are just acting innocent about it. We are talking Texas here. No one is going to rat out someone for saying the N word in Texas. He was probably surrounded by friends and they thought it was all hilarious use of language. The funny thing about a skunk is a skunk can't smell his own stink. If anyone came forth and collaborated the use of the N word maybe Orr could be charged with disrupting the peace for a felony hate crime. But no one is going to collaborate Smart's story. Especially in Texas and especially someone from Oklahoma.
so, you think that everyone around him is conspiring to cover up his racist hate speech? Every single person in ear shot? And you think that because they are from Texas and Oklahoma?

Yeah, there is definitely bigotry at work here . . . and you are the one guilty of it.

Last edited:
It's funny how it becomes "awful". Say Orr actually did use the N word. Then what is it? I'm sorry but as I said, I love our Orange basketball players. I would really hate to hear a fan during an away game say something to one of our players that made them so made that it resulted in an altercation.

Hey, I get it. Nobody likes to talk about racism. The moderators probably already killed the thread as I'm posting this. Maybe I will get banned from bringing up the topic.

I just dont think there is a reason at this point to assume racisim. All of the evidence points the other way.

That's not quite the same because I think Orr use the N word as Smart claimed and is just not admitting it.

When I was in college, when a guy missed a free throw the crowd would yell, "Sh.., F you, as...le". It was really funny and getting really popular and loud. Until it went too far and at one point Jim Boeheim got on the arena microphone and said if you don't stop our team is going to get a technical foul. And another tasteless Dome tradition went down in flames...

Why do you think he said the N word? You have nothing to back that claim up.

Dave, you body slammed Texas about 4-5 times in this thread. Did you get mugged there or what?

I just don't like racism. Maybe Orr is telling the truth and he did not say the N word. Maybe Smart is making this stuff up and he's the thug and Orr is the victim. But if Orr really said the N word, how much does it stink if you were Smart and you had to get on national TV to apologize for other people's racism. I think Smart is being held to a much higher standard of behavior than Orr. I don't like it.

I just dont think there is a reason at this point to assume racisim. All of the evidence points the other way.

So you know absolutely that Orr did not use the N word. I wish I was able to talk to God so I always knew the truth about everything.

I just don't like racism. Maybe Orr is telling the truth and he did not say the N word. Maybe Smart is making this stuff up and he's the thug and Orr is the victim. But if Orr really said the N word, how much does it stink if you were Smart and you had to get on national TV to apologize for other people's racism. I think Smart is being held to a much higher standard of behavior than Orr. I don't like it.

what is more likely?

1. guy calls him a piece of crap, smart loses it, in the heat of the moment to justify his actions says guy called him n bomb. never hear that rumor again
2. guy calls him n bomb, all american guard stays quiet and takes 3 game suspension without debate

hmmmmmmmm. Please stop trying to infuse racism into this.

Why do you think he said the N word? You have nothing to back that claim up.

Yes, you are right. No evidence other than what Smart claimed Orr said.

So you know absolutely that Orr did not use the N word. I wish I was able to talk to God so I always knew the truth about everything.

and I'm done with this argument. You sir, are not worth my time.

I guarantee you half the people on this thread have said and done worse to fellow FANS in the arenas they've been to, once some libation has entered the picture.

Honestly, what Orr did was sophomoric, crude..but in the context of a basketball game between D1 opponents in the same conference...who cares. It did not rise to the level of requiring banishment from sporting events or being shoved by a guy who lacks the self control...they are talkin about "heat of the moment" . Please is was a BASKETBALL game..the guy isnt fighting in Fallujah

what is more likely?

1. guy calls him a piece of crap, smart loses it, in the heat of the moment to justify his actions says guy called him n bomb. never hear that rumor again
2. guy calls him n bomb, all american guard stays quiet and takes 3 game suspension without debate

hmmmmmmmm. Please stop trying to infuse racism into this.

You obviously think option 1 is more likely. I have the opposite opinion and think option 2 is more likely and the people around Orr are keeping quiet to avoid the media storm.

I have a hard time feeling sorry for both parties. I think Orr said more than your a piece of crap and I have zero reason to believe that the people around him would tell the truth. Smart knows he can't do what he did, and should have just said something back to the guy. It's a black eye for both Texas Tech and OSU and I hope both parties learn from this. If you all think this is bad you should read what a Maryland student said to Greivis Vasquez during a game at college park.

I have a hard time feeling sorry for both parties. I think Orr said more than your a piece of crap and I have zero reason to believe that the people around him would tell the truth. Smart knows he can't do what he did, and should have just said something back to the guy. It's a black eye for both Texas Tech and OSU and I hope both parties learn from this. If you all think this is bad you should read what a Maryland student said to Greivis Vasquez during a game at college park.

you do realize that includes photographers, ball boys, refs, cameramen and security guards, right?

I guarantee you half the people on this thread have said and done worse to fellow FANS in the arenas they've been to, once some libation has entered the picture.

I must be a better fan than all of you. I would never use the N word if that's what Orr did. I would not say into the guys ear "you piece crap" as the guy was getting off the floor after a hard play. You people are nuts. Sure, I will sing "air ball" and "na, na, na, hey, hey, goodbye" and the player intro chants. But I think Orr went too far even with the "piece of crap" comment.

You can judge a lot about a man by what he finds humorous. Please tell us what you find so funny.

Do you need a kleenex? C'mon man? Banned for life? That's ludicrous. Both he and Smart were at fault but saying "piece of crap" is probably one of the more tame phrases being yelled at games these days. What do you think the Oakland Zoo are going to be yelling on Wed? Or when Boeheim heads into a tunnel? What do you think is being yelled then? Orr was out of line but Smart absolutely CAN'T react and he knows that. I'm sure things were yelled at MCW when he ran way up way into the stands to try to save a pass or track down the ball down in Fayetteville last year but he went about his business. It's been confirmed that Orr said nothing racist or truly vulgar so this sort of makes Smart look worse, imo.

you do realize that includes photographers, ball boys, refs, cameramen and security guards, right?
and what looks to be a person of color standing right behind him.

OSU has been losing, and Smart has been displaying increasing frustration. He snapped, its understandable and, I think, even somewhat excusable.

what is not excusable is trying to turn this into a racial incident with zero evidence. Orr is not the classiest guy on earth, to say the least, but in this day in age, painting someone as a racist is a terrible blow to someone's character. To do so falsely is far, far worse than what either he or Smart did, IMO.

You do realize how loud it is in an arena.
so loud that the only people who can hear the N word are those that choose to, apparently

"Some made references to Vasquez being Mexican, even though he is Venezuelan. And then there were the baseless taunts about Vasquez not loving America (presumably because he was not born in this country). And then there were the slurs uttered while Vasquez attempted free throws. And then there were the insults directed at Vasquez's mother. Having met her in person, I can assure you she is a genuinely good-hearted woman who never would deserve such disrespect."

You got love all the great Americans we have here who tell a Venezuelan to go back to Mexico.

so loud that the only people who can hear the N word are those that choose to, apparently

It's just amazing how people just "know" Orr is the victim and Smart is the thug.

Honestly, what Orr did was sophomoric, crude..but in the context of a basketball game between D1 opponents in the same conference...who cares. It did not rise to the level of requiring banishment from sporting events or being shoved by a guy who lacks the self control...they are talkin about "heat of the moment" . Please is was a BASKETBALL game..the guy isnt fighting in Fallujah

Well, I sure as Hell haven't and wouldn't verbally abuse a college player on the court or anywhere else.

And anyone who does, IMO, is an . In fact if you are trying to describe an "" to someone unfamiliar with he term than describing Orr in this circumstance would be a good example.

College games shouldn't have this sort of atmosphere or behavior. It's crude and disgusting and the people who do it are morons.

Set an example. Ban Orr. Send a message you won't tolerate it.

Maybe they're all from Texas too, where I guess it's still 1950 and everybody, whether they know the guy or not, covers for their fellow white man. I mean give me a break, if he said the n word, somebody would have stepped up and said he did.

If all Orr said was piece of crap, thats pretty tame compared to whats said at sporting events and he doesnt need to be banned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom